Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:11:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 258615 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« on: May 15, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
« edited: May 15, 2012, 04:09:05 PM by Senator wormyguy »

Excuse me for interrupting the conversation, but would someone explain the primary differences between he Liberal Party and the NDP?

Not a Canadian, but the NDP is to the left of the Liberals.  The Liberals are essentially non-ideological, they tend to support leftist social policy and whatever economic policy they feel will win them the most votes (in the 90s they supported tax and spending cuts - but were elected on a platform of protectionism; in the recent election they literally copied most of the NDP platform and had it backfire on them).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Short term no, medium term maybe.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »

I knew everything cost more in Nunavut, but some of these prices are really shocking: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html#s=more231471

$82 for a 12 pack of Ginger Ale (355mL cans)!

It may sound heartless, but no one is forcing them to live there.

If that's your response to income inequality, hunger and high food prices in the northern territories, then you wouldn't make a good social democrat. But I'm sure you already knew that. Smiley

How does providing subsidies to those living in certain areas but not in others make one a good social democrat?  I'd oppose such subsidies for the same reason I am opposed to the US flood insurance program that subsidizes people who choose to live along the coast in hurricane zones.

Under the circumstances tho, I could see offering the people who live north of 55N assistance in relocating to a less remote location.

I see you have no concept of emotional attachment to where one lives, and how much more important it is for aboriginals such as the Inuit. Not to mention the complete culture shock of having to move from their traditional territory down south. That leads to huge social problems for them, worse than the problems of living up north.

If they want to purchase a 12-pack of ginger ale, then odds are they aren't really living authentically one with the nature using every part of the animal etc.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »

I knew everything cost more in Nunavut, but some of these prices are really shocking: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html#s=more231471

If that's your response to income inequality, hunger and high food prices in the northern territories, then you wouldn't make a good social democrat. But I'm sure you already knew that. Smiley

How does providing subsidies to those living in certain areas but not in others make one a good social democrat?  I'd oppose such subsidies for the same reason I am opposed to the US flood insurance program that subsidizes people who choose to live along the coast in hurricane zones.

Under the circumstances tho, I could see offering the people who live north of 55N assistance in relocating to a less remote location.

I see you have no concept of emotional attachment to where one lives, and how much more important it is for aboriginals such as the Inuit. Not to mention the complete culture shock of having to move from their traditional territory down south. That leads to huge social problems for them, worse than the problems of living up north.

If they want to purchase a 12-pack of ginger ale, then odds are they aren't really living authentically one with the nature using every part of the animal etc.

If you read the article, you would see that traditional hunting costs just as much as actual groceries, so that's a moot point.

"Nunavut's larder of "country food" — caribou, seals, fish and other animals — is there for the taking, but only if people can afford the snowmobiles, gas, rifles, ammunition and gear needed to travel safely. Elliott estimates hunting costs about $150 a day."

That doesn't sound like "traditional hunting" to me.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »

If you read the article, you would see that traditional hunting costs just as much as actual groceries, so that's a moot point.

"Nunavut's larder of "country food" — caribou, seals, fish and other animals — is there for the taking, but only if people can afford the snowmobiles, gas, rifles, ammunition and gear needed to travel safely. Elliott estimates hunting costs about $150 a day."

OK, do you suggest that feeding and using a dog team would be any cheaper/less time consuming?

That's why they have their "emotional attachment to the land," is it not?  Also, they were able to afford it for a few thousand years.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »

OK, do you suggest that feeding and using a dog team would be any cheaper/less time consuming?

That's why they have their "emotional attachment to the land," is it not?  Also, they were able to afford it for a few thousand years.

"Afford?" I don't know if that's an appropriate word, considering their society wasn't exactly capitalist. I would hope that you can see why going back to a pre-colonization traditional way of life isn't exactly an option.

They can't have their cake and eat it too and expect other people to pay for the cake as well.  That's beyond unreasonable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies