Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:19:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 259644 times)
njwes
United States

« on: January 06, 2014, 04:50:20 PM »

I have a question about the Bloc Qébécois. Wherever I've seen them referred to in any depth, they're always referred to as a left or center-left party. Is that true though? Or in reality do they act more as a big-tent party with the general idea of "Quebecness" (sure there's a better word) overriding left-right political differences?

It just always struck me that they must be the latter, or else they wouldn't have been able (in the past at least) to win such impressive victories in the province as a whole. Would those who would vote for Coalition Avenir Québec at the provincial level still vote for the BQ in the federal elections? (ignoring the 2011 federal, lolz)

Also--just a random thought--what party would a conservative nationalist in Quebec vote for? As in a conservative with a more traditionalist streak--not a free market conservative but let's say a traditional Catholic who wants more autonomy for Quebec? Would they feel comfortable voting for BQ? Of course, there may not be enough traditionalist Catholic sovereigntists in Quebec to justify the existence of this question Tongue
njwes
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »

Hatman and MaxQue thank you, very helpful!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies