Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:22:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 255992 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2375 on: December 13, 2013, 02:49:40 PM »

I think the Quebec Conservative Party would be a good fit for RB, but he may be unwilling to vote for a fringe party. Better to vote for a fringe party than no party in my opinion. That's why I support the UCQ in Quebec.

I agree, but I think the main issue is being able to vote for a fringe party. There's the conservatives and UCQ only ran like 20 candidates each last time. Even if you like them, you still have to choose who to support if you live in one of the other 100 ridings.

I'm the same way. I vote CHP when I get the opportunity, but I'm a Tory voter because that's how I'll vote most of the time.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2376 on: December 13, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »

I think the Quebec Conservative Party would be a good fit for RB, but he may be unwilling to vote for a fringe party. Better to vote for a fringe party than no party in my opinion. That's why I support the UCQ in Quebec.

I agree, but I think the main issue is being able to vote for a fringe party. There's the conservatives and UCQ only ran like 20 candidates each last time. Even if you like them, you still have to choose who to support if you live in one of the other 100 ridings.

I'm the same way. I vote CHP when I get the opportunity, but I'm a Tory voter because that's how I'll vote most of the time.

True.

I have a pro-life friend who claims he'd vote NDP if they were anti-abortion (lol), but because they don't he'd vote CHP. Except, I don't think they've ever run in his district. Last election he spoiled his ballot.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2377 on: December 13, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »

Whoa: Flaherty confronted Kenney after Kenney's Ford comments and it almost got physical. Flaherty told Kenney to STFU about Ford and Kenney responded in kind. GTA MPs are pissed that Kenney spoke up on Ford, thought he should've MHOB.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2378 on: December 14, 2013, 12:08:48 AM »

Makes you wonder how credible Flaherty is.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2379 on: December 14, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »

True.

I have a pro-life friend who claims he'd vote NDP if they were anti-abortion (lol), but because they don't he'd vote CHP. Except, I don't think they've ever run in his district. Last election he spoiled his ballot.

Yeah, doubt that will happen anytime soon lol. I was too young to vote by a few days in 2011, but I would've spoiled my ballot. I'd usually vote Tory but our guy was rabidly pro-choice for a Tory.

Makes you wonder how credible Flaherty is.

Indeed. This raises Kenney's standing in my eyes.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2380 on: December 14, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »

Flaherty's ties to the Fords is hardly a secret. Isn't like Flaherty has any leadership designs either.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2381 on: December 14, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »

Flaherty's ties to the Fords is hardly a secret. Isn't like Flaherty has any leadership designs either.

I know he has no leadership prospects, but the fact that he has ties with the Fords to begin with shows a lack of credibility.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2382 on: December 14, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »

Anyone watching CPAC's "The Campaigns" series? I just watched their '45 episode. Not much we didn't know already, but I didn't know about the anti-CCF VRWC in the business community and its 3 authors. Not that such a thing surprised me. Must've spent hundreds of millions in today's money. One name I was surprised didn't arise is Cockfield Brown. Probably a "respectable" ad agency didn't want to dirty their hands with that kind of thing, so they handled only touchy-feely stuff.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2383 on: December 14, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »

I don't get cable, so I had no idea such a series existed. I'm checking it out online now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2384 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »

Paille will resign as BQ leader today for health reasons.

Alas, I do not expect Harper to privatize a crown corporation on his watch. Maybe a Tory successor, but Harper's too cautious for me to believe he will.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2385 on: December 16, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »

I don't see them going out of caucus this time. Patry's a party jumper and Plamandon's at the end of his career. That basically leaves Fortin and Bellavance as leadership contenders.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2386 on: December 16, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »

Ivison on how the Cabinet's political discipline is breaking down. Flaherty and Kenney have a history and various ministers are catfighting. He paints this as preliminary leadership positioning. Meanwhile Harper remains untouched: they're all fighting beneath him, so to speak.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2387 on: December 18, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »

Mourani will announce her intentions this afternoon. Not returning to the BQ.

Gagnon on how Quebec is an Orange-Red battle.

Flaherty's health still poor.

Mulcair believes the election will be next year a la Chretien and is at full readiness just in case.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2388 on: December 18, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »

Mourani is now a federalist, but no word on which party she's joining. Ahuntsic was a 3-way in 2011, so she's probably finishing out her term and retiring.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2389 on: December 18, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »

Hebert is right as usual: NDP has an Ontario problem, not a Liberal problem.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2390 on: December 18, 2013, 05:42:13 PM »

Peter Julian will make an announcement about the BC NDP leadership tomorrow. Apparently rumor is that he's in, though Foucaulf can correct me if that's wrong.
Foucaulf
« Reply #2391 on: December 18, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »

The problem is that I've been away from Vancouver for at least a year and I never had any party connections. My prediction has no authority, but here goes:

On balance he'll go for it. While diving through politics sites I found an interview in which he was "frustrated" about the last loss. And he has particular reason for doing so; he represents New Westminster, white but with significant Asian inflows, and he tries to engage with these immigration groups. To see the BCNDP get destroyed due to lack of connections within Asian communities, though only one factor, is troubling because it can be changed...

And yet I don't think he will. Either he's in or David Eby (who beat Clark in her riding last election), and Julian has enough of a career to not to waste time navigating the party elites backdoors. He already refused to run for federal leader in 2012 out of deference for Topp, in my opinion.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2392 on: December 18, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »

When I worked in his office six years ago, Peter Julian was learning Mandarin. Wonder how much he did learn.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2393 on: December 19, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

In a bizarre story, NDP MLA Lenore Zann filed a complaint that started a cyber-bullying investigation after someone tweeted a nude image of her from her acting days. The complaint has since been dropped, but this is an example of how anti-bullying legislation can go too far. Getting filmed nude on HBO is a different kettle of fish than sexting pictures being circulated.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2394 on: December 19, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »

In a bizarre story, NDP MLA Lenore Zann filed a complaint that started a cyber-bullying investigation after someone tweeted a nude image of her from her acting days. The complaint has since been dropped, but this is an example of how anti-bullying legislation can go too far. Getting filmed nude on HBO is a different kettle of fish than sexting pictures being circulated.

Wasn't this an issue in 2009?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2395 on: December 19, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »

Wasn't this an issue in 2009?

The tweeting is from this month. Not sure about the cyber-bullying bill or Ms. Zann's performance on HBO.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2396 on: December 19, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »

[...] though she didn't deserve to be bullied [...], Lenore Zann should have exercised self-restraint/personal responsibility.

-President Snowstalker (Rhodesia)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2397 on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »

I look forward to the day Rob Ford/Mike Duffy use this legislation to prosecute someone who calls them a fatty and tweets a picture of them.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2398 on: December 19, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »

New Ekos out, Grits lead by 6 among all voters, 1 among LV. Flaherty and Kenney top the fundraising list.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2399 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »

Julian and Donnelly aren't running for the BC NDP leadership.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies