Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256163 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2350 on: December 10, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »

Caught a bit of QP on Twitter. Unsurprisingly, Calandra's the author of that Santa thing. I honestly don't know what Harper saw in him. Or in DDM for that matter, but that's another story.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2351 on: December 10, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »

Parliament adjourned till Jan. 27. Should I start a new thread in the new year or wait for a mod to close this one? We're closing in on 2500 after all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2352 on: December 10, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »

Start a thread in the new year.  This one's getting a little long and whether it is true or not, long threads are alleged to be a performance bottleneck.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2353 on: December 10, 2013, 11:48:46 PM »

I'm against closing the thread FTR.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2354 on: December 10, 2013, 11:57:21 PM »

Not my first choice either. We kept this one going for 2 years, so that's something. I'm hesitant to call it CGD II, which I'd like to save for the 42nd Parliament. But I'll probably do so nonetheless. Hopefully the next one lasts till the election.

Some QP stats: Mulcair attended 20, Harper 15, Trudeau 13. IIRC there were either 33 or 36 this sitting.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2355 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »

lol Trudeau.

I know, I know. Canadians don't care about QP...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2356 on: December 11, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »

Given his "performance" there, no wonder his response was the usual "more important to meet ordinary Canadians" spin. Speaking of QP, backup PM duty should be delegated to the Cabinet rather than the hapless Calandra. I was immensely relieved when Moore and Poilievre were stickhandling one QP last week.

As for who "won" the year politically, I'd say Mulcair federally and Christy Clark provincially.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2357 on: December 11, 2013, 12:19:37 AM »

How did Mulcair "win"? By remaining relevant? Trudeau is the year's winner. Remaining popular despite being hapless and unprepared.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2358 on: December 11, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2013, 05:48:42 PM by MaxQue »

Quebec government will create 4 supervised injection centers in Montreal. I suppose than Harper won't be happy, but given the previous court rulings, they can't do much about it.

Also, Canada government decided to destroy postal service as we know and force people to go at distant boxes to get mail. Hopefully court cases will delay things until 2015 elections and than the next government fire their incompetent and overpaid CEO.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2359 on: December 11, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »

How did Mulcair "win"? By remaining relevant? Trudeau is the year's winner. Remaining popular despite being hapless and unprepared.

He's basically a deer in the headlights. If he's still hapless and unprepared come election time, his opponents (save May) will eat him up. Mulcair and Harper (if he's still around) are pros at this stuff, Trudeau is a child.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2360 on: December 11, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »

Let's add than the Canada Post decision is a violent attack on small businesses, which still mostly use mail for their billing.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2361 on: December 11, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »

Quebec government will create 4 supervised injection centers in Montreal. I suppose than Harper won't be happy, but given the previous court rulings, they can't do much about it.

The PQ may yet warm on me.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2362 on: December 12, 2013, 12:22:31 AM »

Every time I think that, they ramble more about the "values charter". Talking of that, I'm still undecided about my vote next election (most probably PQ or QS, through). I know than those are independantist parties, but I can't bring myself to vote for Liberals. Not yet. They need to spend more time in opposition, purge the former corruped establishment and renew their MNA team.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2363 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »

Also, Canada government decided to destroy postal service as we know and force people to go at distant boxes to get mail. Hopefully court cases will delay things until 2015 elections and than the next government fire their incompetent and overpaid CEO.

I've been enduring this savagery for years. God help us all Roll Eyes
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2364 on: December 12, 2013, 11:10:59 PM »

Hugh Segal will retire next summer. One of the best senators, even if I strongly disagree with him on many issues. Hopefully a Blue replacement.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2365 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »

Every time I think that, they ramble more about the "values charter". Talking of that, I'm still undecided about my vote next election (most probably PQ or QS, through). I know than those are independantist parties, but I can't bring myself to vote for Liberals. Not yet. They need to spend more time in opposition, purge the former corruped establishment and renew their MNA team.

I know you've criticized QS in the past, but they are way better than the PQ. The values charter has made me lose any shred of sympathy I had for that party.

If I lived in Quebec, I'd vote UCQ where I could, and then either PVQ or QS. I've considered living in Hull in the past (cheaper rent), but could never bring myself to do so.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2366 on: December 12, 2013, 11:29:33 PM »

QC: At least you guys have options. I don't and never will. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2367 on: December 12, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »

You have options too, and are probably not much more foul to you as our options are to us! (There's a Conservative party, there's CAQ, and there's the Liberals too. All parties on the centre-right)

Speaking of Quebec, a federal poll was done in each of Montreal's new ridings: http://www.mainstreettechnologies.ca/mainstreet/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Federal-Voting-Intention-in-Montreal.pdf

Liberals would win 13; BQ 3 and the NDP 2 Sad
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2368 on: December 12, 2013, 11:48:31 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2013, 11:57:46 PM by MaxQue »

I know you've criticized QS in the past, but they are way better than the PQ. The values charter has made me lose any shred of sympathy I had for that party.

If I lived in Quebec, I'd vote UCQ where I could, and then either PVQ or QS. I've considered living in Hull in the past (cheaper rent), but could never bring myself to do so.

But I live in a swing riding and I don't want a Liberal MNA.

EDIT: Also, QS in my riding is a bit unsavory, the local organisation was created by people who left PQ when a Native candidate was selected for 2007 election, under the pretext he was too young and this was an insult to the older members.

Then, again will depend of the campaign and/or the candidates.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2369 on: December 12, 2013, 11:59:47 PM »

Oh. I didn't realize you were a "strategic voter".

The way I see it is, you will never cast the deciding vote, so you might as well vote your conscience. Plus, if you're political geography nerds like us, you can check out how your vote affected the results in your polling division Cheesy 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2370 on: December 13, 2013, 12:02:58 AM »

In federal news, Clement is gearing up for another round with PSAC.  
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2371 on: December 13, 2013, 10:41:25 AM »

You have options too, and are probably not much more foul to you as our options are to us! (There's a Conservative party, there's CAQ, and there's the Liberals too. All parties on the centre-right)

Well the problem for the Anglo right wingers (and Hatman to a lesser extent) is that we're products of a different system. It's like taking a socially conservative CSU voter and telling him to pick between the GOP & Democrats. Nothing quite fits.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2372 on: December 13, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »

I think the Quebec Conservative Party would be a good fit for RB, but he may be unwilling to vote for a fringe party. Better to vote for a fringe party than no party in my opinion. That's why I support the UCQ in Quebec.

In other news, Bruce has indeed joined the dark side Sad  Only a matter of time, though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2373 on: December 13, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »

So what does everyone think of Wynne's plan to run on a tax hike? I'll give her points for honesty, nothing more. Also, Duncan thinks OPG should be privatized. "Bipartisan" imprimatur if Hudak wins and wants to do that.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2374 on: December 13, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »

Strangler crony Jacques Corriveau has been charged with fraud, forgery and laundering proceeds of crime. Adscam lives! Though due to his age he'll probably get a minimal sentence.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies