Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 255978 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2325 on: December 04, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »

Liberal MLA Joachim Stroink is apologizing for posing with a guy wearing black face. Apparently it's a Dutch Christmas tradition. The local NDP youth is up in arms about it, which I would consider a positive because most of them aren't nearly as well balanced as Hatman or lilTommy.

It's offensive, but only due to it's association with minstrel shows, etc. The NDP in the riding are just playing the political game. But then again, you wouldn't see Peter Stoffer with Black Peter, and he's Dutch too.

Yeah, I agree with you there.

Mildly peeved at CBC for posting a bunch of tweets about it, and a significant minority of them are from NDP activists including the candidate in my riding last election Tongue I guess we can't expect some random reporter to know "the scene" but it's hardly a "man on the street" view.

As for the unbalanced NDP remark, that was more about an ongoing feud I have with one person.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2326 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »

In other news, CRA released their quarterly Atlantic Canada polls

Nova Scotia
Liberal: 58%
PC: 19%
NDP: 19%

NS is in the honeymoon period still. The other polls are more interesting. Trudeau ought to sweep Atlantic Canada. Also, look at those PEI numbers. 3rd place for the Tories.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2327 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

Didn't PEI PC had severe issues, like the PC caucus refusing to recognise the new PC leader?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2328 on: December 05, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »

Back to third in NB & NL again Sad
Qavvavak
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -7.00

« Reply #2329 on: December 06, 2013, 12:34:52 AM »

I glad NB NDP wont gains because he against First Nations protesting!
Dominic must resigns or he will be loser.........
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2330 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »

NDP got 10% of the vote last time. They'll make gains.

Didn't PEI PC had severe issues, like the PC caucus refusing to recognise the new PC leader?

They got a new leader after losing power in 2007. They expected to lose more seats in 2011, but actually picked up a few. Then they booted their leader Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2331 on: December 06, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »

Soudas could be returning as the CPC's executive director. We'll find out very soon.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2332 on: December 07, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »

Pop goes the Toronto CW: Mulcair is our [Quebec's] most popular politician at 60/10 while Trudeau's the most polarizing at 44/32.

Soudas has returned.

An amusing spat between Harper and Williams in '06, involving public F-bombs. Metaphor for federal-provincial relations, methinks.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2333 on: December 07, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »

The Tories turn 10 today.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2334 on: December 07, 2013, 10:44:16 PM »

For some reason I thought it was the 12th. At any rate a happy anniversary for me. In March Harper will enter his second decade as leader. Even happier anniversary would be March 2016, if we make it there with our majority intact. Rather amazing how quickly everything came together, given early predictions that Martin would win an '84-style earthquake. Didn't quite work out that way.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2335 on: December 08, 2013, 01:41:54 PM »

Source?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2336 on: December 08, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »

Source?

Well, NB NDP position is than road blockades aren't acceptable in a society accepting the role of law, which is honestly the position taken by the very majority of the population (and is, in my region of Abitibi, is a big cause of racism, because White people are saying than a White doing that would go in jail very quickly and than so, First Nations are violating laws with consequences).
Qavvavak
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -7.00

« Reply #2337 on: December 08, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »

source here

Don’t negotiate ‘til threats end
EDITORIAL Telegraph-Journal
31 Oct 2013

It appears the leaders of Elsipogtog First Nation have learned nothing from the riot that occurred two weeks ago. While publicly calling for negotiations, the First Nation privately has been circulating a call to "protectors and stewards" to enforce the band's claim that all Crown lands in New Brunswick belong to First Nations. The reserve also claims to have "evicted" SWN Resources.

It was self-styled "protectors and stewards," aka "warriors," who brought guns and homemade fragmentation grenades to the band's protest camp near Rexton and firebombed six police vehicles, while the protesters' attempted "eviction" of SWN involved blockading support staff in a compound and threatening to kill them. If such events had occurred on the other side of the Canada-U.S. border, or in the United Kingdom, we have no doubt they would have been treated by federal and state authorities as what they transparently are: acts of domestic terrorism.

Elsipogtog's support for aggressive and confrontational tactics threatens to undermine any spirit of co-operation that still exists between provincial legislators and New Brunswick's First Nations. It demands a response at two levels: from the Assembly of First Nations Chiefs in New Brunswick, and from Premier David Alward.

We do not presume to guess what the chiefs' response will be, but they must realize that public support for settling Aboriginal land claims and other outstanding issues ebbs away with each act of obstruction and violence that is committed on behalf of First Nations. It doesn't matter how many Hollywood celebrities throw their support behind Elsipogtog's cause, or how many commentaries The Guardian (U.K.) publishes purporting to understand the situation and expressing solidarity; the people who have to live in the atmosphere of threat that Elsipogtog's "warriors" are creating all live and vote here, and it is these hundreds of thousands of voters who will determine the response of public institutions.

In his negotiations with Elsipogtog, Premier David Alward has been accommodating to the point of seeming ineffectual. While we believe his interest in finding negotiated solutions to the First Nations' problems is sincere, we also believe his government has a duty to put public safety first. Accordingly, we ask the provincial government to formally adopt the policy position proposed by NDP Leader Dominic Cardy two weeks ago, when protesters at Elispogtog car-jacked three vehicles belonging to national media organizations.

That position, simply stated, is that provincial legislators will not participate in any negotiations with First Nations until all illegal activity and acts of intimidation cease.

It is time for the government, and all political parties in this province, to signal clearly that militancy has no place in government-to-government negotiations. First Nations activists cannot expect anyone to respect their legal arguments if they themselves display contempt for the rule and institutions of civil law.

and another

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=588813444483780&set=a.275630472468747.72257.173562206008908&type=1&ref=nf
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2338 on: December 08, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »

I don't any problems with saying than government shouldn't negociate with people firebombing and stealing cars. First Nations only harm their integration within society by supporting people which are doing grave violation of laws.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2339 on: December 08, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »

Unintentionally hilarious TV moment today: Calandra saying he's always wanted to be PM.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2340 on: December 08, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2013, 08:19:21 PM by RogueBeaver »

On a much more serious note, here's an interview with Monique Lépine.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2341 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:43 AM »

Rumour mill suggests my former boss Bruce Hyer will be joining the Greens on Friday. I think he'd have been better off staying as an Indy.

No surprise really. There are a lot of similarities between Hyer and Elizabeth May.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2342 on: December 09, 2013, 12:41:14 AM »

Source?

Well, NB NDP position is than road blockades aren't acceptable in a society accepting the role of law, which is honestly the position taken by the very majority of the population (and is, in my region of Abitibi, is a big cause of racism, because White people are saying than a White doing that would go in jail very quickly and than so, First Nations are violating laws with consequences).

I wouldn't expect the NDP to have a different opinion, to be honest. Of course, I do sympathisze with their struggles, and blockades can at least be non violent (in theory).

It's strange though, because didn't the former chief of that reserve in NB just run for the NDP in the last by-election in Kent?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2343 on: December 09, 2013, 12:50:50 AM »

Hyer: No real surprise, though I guess he loses in '15. In other Ontario news, Hudak should save the IR stuff for later and focus on economy/jobs.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2344 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:03 AM »

Source?

I wouldn't expect the NDP to have a different opinion, to be honest. Of course, I do sympathisze with their struggles, and blockades can at least be non violent (in theory).

We had a peaceful one a few weeks ago in Lac-simon reservation, near here. Sure, it's wasn't really a blockage (a couple of people letting everyone it but Youth Protection Direction). Finally, the village elders, regional social services and some native women organisation as a mediator, seems wierd, but it worked. YPD got sensibilized to First Nations issues and the elders were explained than what they were asking (traditionnal adoption) couldn't by done by the YPD and than the law gave that power to a First Nations institution than First Nations didn't created yet.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2345 on: December 09, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »

So I understand there was a provincial reshuffle in Alberta?
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #2346 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »

So I understand there was a provincial reshuffle in Alberta?

Yup.  http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/edmonton/story/1.2454624

The notable changes are:
-Dave Hancock replacing Thomas Lukaszuk as Deputy Premier and Minister of Innovation and Advanced Education
-Lukaszuk is now Minister of Jobs, Skills, Training, and Labour
-Manmeet Bhullar (Service Alberta) replaces Hancock as Minister of Human Services
-Doug Griffiths (Municipal Affairs) replaces Bhullar as Minister of Service Alberta
-Ken Hughes (Energy) replaces Griffiths as Minister of Municipal Affairs
-Diana McQueen (Environment) replaces Hughes as Minister of Energy
-Ric McIver (Transportation) and Wayne Drysdale (Infrastructure) switch jobs
-Fred Horne (Health), Doug Horner (Finance), Jonathan Denis (Justice), Jeff Johnston (Education), amongst others, stay where they are
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2347 on: December 09, 2013, 11:18:56 PM »

Thanks for that, mate!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2348 on: December 10, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-s-claim-to-arctic-riches-includes-the-north-pole-1.2456773

They're taking the creepy "We are a Northern people" crap too far now.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2349 on: December 10, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/12/10/the-qp-clip-santa-claus-is-declared-a-canadian/

Silly season for the government, declares opposition to be anti-Canadian because they 'deny' Santa Claus is a Canadian citizen.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies