Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:04:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 255987 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2225 on: November 16, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »

Mulcair compares Canada/Quebec to UK/Scotland, says he'll stand by Sherbrooke and "wipe the floor" with Trudeau on that question. He wants Grits to name their clarity and %, which no Grit has ever mentioned. Naturally certain Very Serious Journalists are being verbally puritanical as usual. Though I don't think anyone doubts Mulcair would kick Trudeau's ass in a debate more free-flowing than the current leaders' setup, just as Harper and his top lieutenants do in QP.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #2226 on: November 16, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »

Ford has been stripped of most of his powers by Council. Wynne said yesterday that she would hypothetically move only if a) Council makes a specific request b) all-party consent in the Legislature. B isn't happening, obviously.

Why not? Are the Tories afraid of alienating Toronto voters? I know they need to win a few seats in the 416 to win the election, but I don't see it being an unpopular move outside of Toronto.

Hypothetical "Ford Nation" types outside of Toronto are going to be less likely to like Rob Ford than within. They just know him through the media, and wouldn't be familiar with his populist appeal.

Many people in the 905 are likely basically as familiar with Ford's background as people in the city itself. It's not as if places like Mississauga or Markham have their own local TV stations or daily papers.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2227 on: November 17, 2013, 12:45:41 AM »

Ford has been stripped of most of his powers by Council. Wynne said yesterday that she would hypothetically move only if a) Council makes a specific request b) all-party consent in the Legislature. B isn't happening, obviously.

Why not? Are the Tories afraid of alienating Toronto voters? I know they need to win a few seats in the 416 to win the election, but I don't see it being an unpopular move outside of Toronto.

Hypothetical "Ford Nation" types outside of Toronto are going to be less likely to like Rob Ford than within. They just know him through the media, and wouldn't be familiar with his populist appeal.

Many people in the 905 are likely basically as familiar with Ford's background as people in the city itself. It's not as if places like Mississauga or Markham have their own local TV stations or daily papers.

True, but people in the 905 don't have to actually think about voting in Toronto elections, so their perceptions are going to be slightly different. They aren't affected by Toronto taxes, so aren't going to be as knee-jerk against downtown Toronto elites to the point of electing someone like Rob Ford. Different story if the 905 were within the City of Toronto.

The existence of someone like Rob Ford could only really happen on a municipal level. His level of outspokeness would never have been tolerated withing the confines of a political party.  Closest thing to that would be the Mike Harris government. 

That doesn't mean Rob Ford types wouldn't be successful outside Toronto. We had Larry O'Brien in Ottawa. I know many people here support Ford's policies, unfortunately.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2228 on: November 17, 2013, 04:34:14 AM »

I had to look up what "the 905" was; useful to know.

Rob Ford isn't 'outspoken', he's an offensive trainwreck who should not be holding office in any city.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2229 on: November 17, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »

Politically, the 905 is the traditional bellwether region of the province. So, it gets a lot of attention by political pundits.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2230 on: November 18, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »

Dunno why Ivison spent a whole column restating the obvious Lib/NDP ideological incompatibility, but to each their own.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2231 on: November 18, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »

It's a stock column for people who don't want to write yet another Rob Ford story.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2232 on: November 18, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »

Something that never ceases to amaze my Maritie parents is Toronto's awful unemployment rate. Many non AB/SK cities including Halifax and Ottawa have lower unemployment rates than the big TO

High five Earl!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2233 on: November 19, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »

PLQ is embracing Bouchard-Taylor, banning religious symbols for authority figures, despite an intraparty divide. They're doing this because their position doesn't have the requisite public support.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2234 on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:17 AM »

Something that never ceases to amaze my Maritie parents is Toronto's awful unemployment rate. Many non AB/SK cities including Halifax and Ottawa have lower unemployment rates than the big TO

High five Earl!

YEAH! TAKE THAT TORONTO!

Actually, at this point, I can only pity the big smoke.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2235 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »

Anyone read the declassified Cabinet documents on abortion? Nothing really surprising that Epp and MacDougall led their respective factions, though anything now would probably get shot down by the Supremes on Charter grounds, IIRC McLachlin has hinted as much.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #2236 on: November 19, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »

Using area codes as commonplace shorthand like this is a very Canadian phenomenon.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2237 on: November 19, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »

Using area codes as commonplace shorthand like this is a very Canadian phenomenon.

But not exclusively Canadian:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_404#Pop_Culture_References
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_619#In_popular_culture
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2238 on: November 19, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »

Maclean's Parliamentarians of the Year Awards ceremony was held tonight. Stoffer is POTY, Alexander Rising Star, Baird Best Orator, Cuzner Most Collegial, Kenney Most Knowledgeable, Hsu Best Represent Constituents, May Hardest-Working, and Milliken gets Lifetime Achievement.

Unsurprisingly, the Globe still dislikes Sherbrooke.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2239 on: November 19, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »

Anyone read the declassified Cabinet documents on abortion? Nothing really surprising that Epp and MacDougall led their respective factions, though anything now would probably get shot down by the Supremes on Charter grounds, IIRC McLachlin has hinted as much.

No but I'd be interested. Link?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2240 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »

Here you go.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2241 on: November 19, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »

Thanks. Quite an interesting read. Does give me good reason to be wary of the Red Tories Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2242 on: November 20, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2013, 01:29:02 PM by RogueBeaver »

ClusterDuff just blew up in a major way. Nigel Wright could be charged with bribery, fraud and breach of trust. One potentially devastating line: that Harper knew in "broad terms only" that he (Wright) was personally assisting him when attempting to repay his expenses. But the RCMP doesn't believe Harper was personally involved in the cheque.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/davidakin/politics/boom-we-are-good-to-go-from-the-pm/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/read-the-rcmps-documents-on-nigel-wrights-cheque-to-duffy/article15523497/?from=15522531#dashboard/follows/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2243 on: November 20, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »

In less depressing news, Hastman is running in Edmonton St. Albert. Great news, hopefully he climbs the ranks quickly. Grin
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2244 on: November 20, 2013, 03:24:38 PM »

Forgot to mention this yesterday, but Ivison absurdly implied in a Kenney column that his vocal pro-lfie stance could doom his chances of being PM. The Gallery and social liberalism...  sigh.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2245 on: November 20, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »

The Gallery was enamored with Kim Campbell. 'Nuff said.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2246 on: November 20, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »

I know, but he's one of the best and knows far better.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2247 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »

Stoffer rules out NS NDP leadership run.

Maureen MacDonald will be interim leader. That's a good pick. She's the most senior member of caucus, has cabinet experience, and will make the NDP's left happy.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2248 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »

In less depressing news, Hastman is running in Edmonton St. Albert. Great news, hopefully he climbs the ranks quickly. Grin
Is Rathberger going to run again?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2249 on: November 20, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

This is very exciting news! I hope he gets the nomination and wins the General, he'll be a great MP, a great potential future Minister and I know will stand up for his constituents and give them excellent representation.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies