Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:58:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256180 times)
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: September 19, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »

I have to disagree with this.  While the mayoral race will be a coronation, the city council elections will be quite intriguing.  The home developers out here have issue with Nenshi's ideas, and they (along with the Manning Centre) are funding "business-friendly" candidates in hopes of getting an anti-Nenshi majority on the council, to put it simply.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1951 on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »

Hmm. Is there a list somewhere of their slate? Or perhaps a list somewhere that details the ideology of the council/candidates?

I plan on doing an analysis for my blog, and it would be interesting to know.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1952 on: September 19, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »

Guess who got named at Charbonneau? Jean-Marc Fournier.   In other news, more polling deadlock provincially. Federally NDP and LPC are tied.

Flaherty got BC and Ontario onboard for his national securities regulator.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1953 on: September 19, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2013, 07:12:24 PM by PASOK Leader Hashemite »

List of the victims have been released: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-bus-crash-victims-include-students-public-servants-1.1860438: besides the driver, 2 Carleton U students (both my age), 2 public servants, one person with cerebral palsy.

One of my dad's colleague was apparently at the stop right next to the bus, and saw the train barrier go down, the lights flash and the train's horn was blowing; the bus drove right into the bus and didn't know what the hell was going on. He pulled the body of one of the victims from the bus (though he was still alive). I can't imagine what it must be like to have to do that, I would certainly be traumatized if I had pulled a dead/dying body from wreckage.

It's absolutely sickening, devastatingly sad and heart-wrenching - like any tragedy - but this one even moreso because it's in your community, and these people are people like me and many others - students/public servants, going to work in the morning on a regular commute. You never assume that your regular commute would be your last; I couldn't help but feel a little weirder and different riding the bus yesterday and today. You never know when your 'last day' is and it's horrible. Enjoy life.

I want to know what happened, and why it happened. I don't know what to think about the driver, but admittedly I can't say that I'm on 'his side' with all those eyewitness reports.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1954 on: September 19, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2013, 08:07:15 PM by RogueBeaver »

Young people and seniors oppose the charter, CROP registering stronger and deeper opposition than Leger. The CSF isn't thrilled either, meanwhile the PQ has exposed all their coalition's fissures: social democrats, purs-et-durs, rural nationalists, etc.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1955 on: September 19, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »

List of the victims have been released: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-bus-crash-victims-include-students-public-servants-1.1860438: besides the driver, 2 Carleton U students (both my age), 2 public servants, one person with cerebral palsy.

One of my dad's colleague was apparently at the stop right next to the bus, and saw the train barrier go down, the lights flash and the train's horn was blowing; the bus drove right into the bus and didn't know what the hell was going on. He pulled the body of one of the victims from the bus (though he was still alive). I can't imagine what it must be like to have to do that, I would certainly be traumatized if I had pulled a dead/dying body from wreckage.

It's absolutely sickening, devastatingly sad and heart-wrenching - like any tragedy - but this one even moreso because it's in your community, and these people are people like me and many others - students/public servants, going to work in the morning on a regular commute. You never assume that your regular commute would be your last; I couldn't help but feel a little weirder and different riding the bus yesterday and today. You never know when your 'last day' is and it's horrible. Enjoy life.

I want to know what happened, and why it happened. I don't know what to think about the driver, but admittedly I can't say that I'm on 'his side' with all those eyewitness reports.

There seems to be no evident character flaws in the bus driver; at least none anyone has mentioned. Perhaps he just had a brain fart? Worst possible time for one.

I agree with you that it is more real to have this happen in your hometown. Although, it still feels a bit removed, since I seldom go to Barrhaven. But I can recall taking the bus from there once. I don't even remember crossing the tracks. It's not something many buses have to do in the rest of the city.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1956 on: September 20, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »

And Mulcair continues to pull the NDP rightwards. I'm almost hoping the NDP loses big time in 2015 so that he'll get the boot.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1957 on: September 20, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »

And Mulcair continues to pull the NDP rightwards. I'm almost hoping the NDP loses big time in 2015 so that he'll get the boot.

I'm not even sure why so many ostensibly center-left politicians are so afraid of touching this issue, when it is so obviously something they could get away with and has widespread support among the kind of voters they need to get and keep. At this point, on this issue and others, Mulcair is well on his way to making the NDP as bland as the Liberals.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1958 on: September 20, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »

I'm not even sure why so many ostensibly center-left politicians are so afraid of touching this issue, when it is so obviously something they could get away with and has widespread support among the kind of voters they need to get and keep. At this point, on this issue and others, Mulcair is well on his way to making the NDP as bland as the Liberals.

Did the NDP run on a tax increase for high earners in 2011?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1959 on: September 20, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »

Yeah, congrats NDP - first sniff of main opposition and immediately jettison most of the things that separated you enough for voters to propel you there.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1960 on: September 20, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »

This isn't new, and he's left the door wide open to corporate tax hikes (which the Liberals also ran on in '11, BTW). Focus is on convincing the public they can govern, hence Mulcair's official slogan "competent, responsible, public administration." Nor would any potential Mulcair successor go anywhere near McQuaig's ideas. He hasn't moved the NDP ideologically from where Layton left it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1961 on: September 20, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »

On another subject, a good primer on parliamentary secretaries.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1962 on: September 20, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »

Wynne still 100% committed to raising transit taxes. We'll see if Horwath is still 100% committed to opposing them when the budget vote comes next spring.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1963 on: September 20, 2013, 07:14:15 PM »

There's been a beef/pork breakthrough on the EU FTA, removing one of the biggest obstacles. Still a ways to go before the deal can be struck...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1964 on: September 20, 2013, 11:21:23 PM »

That's not different of Layton-era policies. Running on any tax hike for persons is suicidal with a politician as talented than Harper on the other side. We cannot like him any chance of him twisting that into "MULCAIR WANTS TO TAKE YOUR MONEY". He is excellent at that.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1965 on: September 20, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »

According to an Ipsos poll from May, 88% of Canadians support raising taxes on "the rich" (defined by most people as someone making 200k or more) and 89% of Canadians support an additional "millionaire's tax." This poll from 2012 registered similar nation-wide levels of support for raising taxes on the wealthy. Ontario specifically supports raising taxes on 500k+ers, and British Columbia supports more taxes on the wealthy as well. You can find poll results like this practically everywhere, not just in Canada. Backing off from any personal income tax hikes is straight-up wimpy and stupidly throwing away an excellent opportunity.

There seems to be a very serious disconnect because what the public wants re: taxes on the top-earners and what political parties across the board have the balls to actually implement.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1966 on: September 21, 2013, 05:58:01 AM »

Yeah, Hollande's 75% tax announcement was met here with almost universal horrified reactions from the media/political class. Low and behold, when polled, voters would support it being brought in here.

And how exactly could Harper convince voters they were going to be the ones taxed when the NDP could specifically state a figure in the hundred thousands, which the overwhelming majority couldn't even hope to get near to?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1967 on: September 21, 2013, 06:07:46 AM »

Yeah, Hollande's 75% tax announcement was met here with almost universal horrified reactions from the media/political class. Low and behold, when polled, voters would support it being brought in here.

And how exactly could Harper convince voters they were going to be the ones taxed when the NDP could specifically state a figure in the hundred thousands, which the overwhelming majority couldn't even hope to get near to?

Spin and the help of the media. The important isn't what NDP propose, but what media is saying than they propose.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1968 on: September 21, 2013, 06:23:09 AM »

And NDP will be given coverage where they can constantly repeat the figure in question and refute it. The end result from this line of argument is to not propose anything left-wing and egalitarian, lest the all-powerful media ruin you. That sort of cowardice has essentially already allowed them that. The rich being taxed properly is widely popular and no media lies that can easily be corrected will change that.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1969 on: September 21, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2013, 01:59:28 PM by RogueBeaver »

On a completely different subject, the OPC convention overwhelmingly (95%) defeated a motion which would've moved up the mandatory leadership review. Hudak's speech and Q&A got mildly positive reviews from the gallery, judging by my Twitter feed. The small bunch of hardened malcontents were put away, at least for now.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1970 on: September 21, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-level-crossing-gate-down-25-seconds-before-crash-1.1861628
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1971 on: September 21, 2013, 03:41:03 PM »

25 seconds is long enough to brake I would think...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1972 on: September 21, 2013, 04:45:25 PM »

Herouxville is split on the charter.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1973 on: September 21, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »

And NDP will be given coverage where they can constantly repeat the figure in question and refute it. The end result from this line of argument is to not propose anything left-wing and egalitarian, lest the all-powerful media ruin you. That sort of cowardice has essentially already allowed them that. The rich being taxed properly is widely popular and no media lies that can easily be corrected will change that.

The NDP ran on higher tax rates in the past. They were also a perennial 3rd place party.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1974 on: September 21, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »

(Sorry for derailing this is a bit, Rogue.)

The NDP ran on higher tax rates in the past. They were also a perennial 3rd place party.

If the American Democrats can successfully run on "hey perhaps we should increase the top tax rate by a percentage or two, maybe" certainly the NDP can effectively campaign on that. It's such an easy pander (I use that word in a positive sense) that I don't know why more parties don't actually go through with it. There is more widespread agreement on taxes in public opinion than on possibly any other controversial issue in politics, but you'd never know that if you only watched how parties performed in government.

The NDP's refusal to do so is especially disappointing considering Mulcair's wussying out on other issues (marijuana, climate change policy) that at this point it feels like every time Mulcair is given the option to stand his ground on certain attacks, or differentiate the NDP from the Liberals, he chooses the most boring option. That the NDP is being out-maneuvered on pot by the Liberal Party should just be embarassing. The only issue he's been consistently decent on since becoming leader has been Senate reform; an issue that's going nowhere.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies