Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:10:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256046 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: May 10, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »

The Dipper minister has been charged with assault and uttering threats. Will appear in provincial court on June 18.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1128641-ex-ns-cabinet-minister-to-appear-in-court-in-june-on-assault-charge
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1201 on: May 10, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »

Interesting. He is the only Black MLA in the legislature. Interestingly, the Black riding in NS is represented by a white guy.

I wonder if the Liberal MLA said something racist?

Could we be seeing a by-election? Paris won by a lot last time, but I see his riding is historically Tory. Could be a good 3-way fight if there is one.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1202 on: May 10, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »

Interesting. He is the only Black MLA in the legislature. Interestingly, the Black riding in NS is represented by a white guy.

Could we be seeing a by-election? Paris won by a lot last time, but I see his riding is historically Tory. Could be a good 3-way fight if there is one.

A lot of the black community in NS is spread out in little villages settled when the Tories fled to Canada after the American Revolution. Preston happens to be the largest of these black communities, but if the riding was just the Preston area, it's population would be outrageously small so the boundary commission tacked on some white exurbs to boost the population. The "black" riding is more like 1/2 black rural village and 1/2 white exurb. Hence the white MLA.

I suspect any by-election will be an NDP-Liberal one. While the Tories have nominated a solid, well-known candidate, they simply haven't recovered enough in the polls to make it a 3 way race.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1203 on: May 10, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »

More shuffle news. Possible retirees include Nicholson, Ablonczy, Ashfield, Ritz. I'd definitely trust Ivison more than Ditchburn since he's way more connected. And for some reason Oliver's running again.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/coming-cabinet-shuffle-will-test-retirement-plans-for-cabinet-ministers-206948581.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1204 on: May 10, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

A lot of the black community in NS is spread out in little villages settled when the Tories fled to Canada after the American Revolution. Preston happens to be the largest of these black communities, but if the riding was just the Preston area, it's population would be outrageously small so the boundary commission tacked on some white exurbs to boost the population. The "black" riding is more like 1/2 black rural village and 1/2 white exurb. Hence the white MLA.

I suspect any by-election will be an NDP-Liberal one. While the Tories have nominated a solid, well-known candidate, they simply haven't recovered enough in the polls to make it a 3 way race.

Yeah, I see that it is historically actually a Liberal-PC riding.

I guess with the Blacks not concentrated enough, that's the reason Dexter got riding of t he Black riding in the latest redistribution?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1205 on: May 10, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »

I guess with the Blacks not concentrated enough, that's the reason Dexter got riding of t he Black riding in the latest redistribution?

Yes and no. He also eliminated the 3 Acadian ridings (Argyle, Clare & Richmond). Depending on who you believe it was either because the ridings were too small and didn't represent their intended communities well or because none of those ridings had NDP MLA's Tongue

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1206 on: May 10, 2013, 05:24:06 PM »

Yes and no. He also eliminated the 3 Acadian ridings (Argyle, Clare & Richmond). Depending on who you believe it was either because the ridings were too small and didn't represent their intended communities well or because none of those ridings had NDP MLA's Tongue

Yeah... BTW, do Blacks in NS vote Liberal or NDP?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1207 on: May 10, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »

It's not like if there was Acadians left out of two or three villages. Those ridings were Anglophone and not Acadian.

Earl: Blacks vote Liberals
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1208 on: May 10, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »

I know Preston has a Liberal MLA, but Paris is NDP and Black, and the only Black MP in Nova Scotia history (Gordon Earle) was also Black.  Did Preston (the community) go Liberal? I think it's in Peter Stoffer's federal riding, so they definitely vote NDP federally.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1209 on: May 10, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2013, 10:36:20 PM by RogueBeaver »

RCMP is opening a criminal investigation into the Senate expenses scandal, they've been monitoring it for months. Very welcome news. If charges are laid, hopefully the senators in question get suspended a la Brazeau.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/rcmp-poised-to-open-criminal-investigation-into-senators-expenses-1.1276945

Horwath shifts her brand's emphasis.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/horwaths-change-in-tone-presents-a-confusing-image/article11876625/?service=mobile
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1210 on: May 11, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2013, 11:51:12 AM by RogueBeaver »

Doug Finley has passed away after a long battle with cancer at 66. RIP Senator. Sad Sad

In Quebec news, PLQ takes a 35-27 lead but not a majority because they're only at 25% with Francophones.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2013/05/10/la-chute-se-poursuit-pour-le-pq
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1211 on: May 11, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »

The PLQ is a horror movie villain that never dies. Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1212 on: May 11, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »

Part of this might be a Couillard honeymoon, rest is the government's deeply underwater approvals. PQ is base bleeding to QS/ON, PLQ gaining from a deflating CAQ.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1213 on: May 11, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »

Why would they use blue for the Liberals?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1214 on: May 11, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »

Even leading by 8, those subsamples aren't good for Liberals. They are just raking votes in seats they already hold. Anyways, government is stable, I don't see CAQ going for an election with those polls.

Does Doug Finlay was of any relation with Diane Finlay, MP for Haldimand-Norfolk?

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1215 on: May 11, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »

Those numbers aren't that good for anyone, really.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1216 on: May 11, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »

I know Preston has a Liberal MLA, but Paris is NDP and Black, and the only Black MP in Nova Scotia history (Gordon Earle) was also Black.  Did Preston (the community) go Liberal? I think it's in Peter Stoffer's federal riding, so they definitely vote NDP federally.

It was a split between Tory and Liberal actually*. Here are the poll by poll results http://electionsnovascotia.ca/results/09results/dist43.pdf

"Nelson Whynder Elementary" and "East Preston Recreation Centre" are in Preston. There are 6 polls and the Tories and Liberals each won 3. Federally, Preston voted about 2/3 NDP in 2011.

*Probably because we ran a fairly prominent member of the black community.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1217 on: May 11, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »

Even leading by 8, those subsamples aren't good for Liberals. They are just raking votes in seats they already hold. Anyways, government is stable, I don't see CAQ going for an election with those polls.

Does Doug Finlay was of any relation with Diane Finlay, MP for Haldimand-Norfolk?

Her husband.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1218 on: May 11, 2013, 05:05:59 PM »

UM has almost finished imploding, with a few more councillors becoming independent.

Who?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1219 on: May 11, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »

Union Montreal, the now-dissolved party of former Montreal mayor Gerald Tremblay.

In federal news, Rae has been confirmed as the chief negotiator for Lake of Fire First Nations.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/story/2013/05/10/tby-bob-rae-first-nations-ring-of-fire.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1220 on: May 12, 2013, 08:58:42 PM »

100% agreed with Ivison, as usual.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/05/12/pressure-mounts-to-reform-opaque-financial-system/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1221 on: May 13, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »

Those numbers aren't that good for anyone, really.

Not bad for QS, actually... I think.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1222 on: May 13, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »

Peter Worthington has died. RIP. Sad Apparently he wrote his own obituary, which will appear in the Sun tomorrow.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/13/peter-worthington-1927-2013.html
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1223 on: May 13, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »

Apologies if this was discussed a ways back. I found this chart from the Ipsos-Reid exit poll in 2011

Pretty standard stuff.

One idea occurs to me. The high Catholic NDP vote is undoubtedly influenced by the Orange Crush in Quebec. What do you guys think the Catholic vote would look like in English Canada?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1224 on: May 13, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »

Tory plurality, at least amongst the practicing.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies