Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:14:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256146 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: February 28, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »

I think there should be residency requirements, or at the very least voters should know where candidates live (not the exact address, but which district at least) on the ballot. If we are going to have a FPTP system or even an AV system, then geography matters more, and why both drawing boundaries if candidates are just going to get parachuted in?

Smid's point about ALP MPs not living in their districts kind of angers me...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1026 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

If you're close enough that's fine with me- say different Montreal/QC ridings while living in another part of the city. Live as close as possible. Otherwise let constituents decide whether they like it or not.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1027 on: February 28, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »

Perhaps he is upset at redistricting. Him and the Chicoutimi-Le Fjord MP would live in the same riding, now and the party would give a preference to the other one?

Redistricting wont be an issue for a while now, methinks. But we could see some interesting things happening. I can't recall a time where 2 sitting federal NDP MPs had to run against each other for a nomination before.

Well, if they are smart enough, that shouldn't happen, since Quebec gained 3 seats, but, we never know if some seats are dreadful for the NDP, the incumbent may try to move.

No problem in Saguenay,, through, there is only one NDP MP there, now (Patry defected and the other MP is a Cabinet Minister, so, Conservative, Denis Lebel.)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1028 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »

I think there should be residency requirements, or at the very least voters should know where candidates live (not the exact address, but which district at least) on the ballot. If we are going to have a FPTP system or even an AV system, then geography matters more, and why both drawing boundaries if candidates are just going to get parachuted in?

I'm sorry about my comment  I didn't mean to cause offence. I agree it is an important issue in a geographic based electorate. I perhaps shouldn't have mentioned the partisan aspect, but it is far more prevalent on the other side of politics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1029 on: February 28, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »

Harold Wilson lived in Hampstead Garden Suburb (a very affluent inner suburb between Finchley and Hampstead proper) rather than the proletarian Liverpool 'burbs he represented. His constituents loved him (there is, or at least was, a pub in his old constituency called 'The Pipe and Gannex') and it'd be hard to seriously argue that he didn't try to look out for their interests during his career.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1030 on: February 28, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2013, 09:38:15 PM by RogueBeaver »

Flanagan is retiring from UC at the end of June when his leave ends. So that's that.

Which was apparently planned back in January.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1031 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »

Christy Clark's "Very Ethnic" strategy blows up in her face. Apparently it was a heated Cabinet discussion and she didn't want to apologize.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/colombie-britannique/2013/02/28/005-excuses-vote-ethnique-christy-clark.shtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1032 on: March 01, 2013, 09:09:51 AM »

I'm sorry about my comment  I didn't mean to cause offence. I agree it is an important issue in a geographic based electorate. I perhaps shouldn't have mentioned the partisan aspect, but it is far more prevalent on the other side of politics.

I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at those ALP members!

I'm not as partisan as you think, Smid Wink
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1033 on: March 01, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2013, 12:38:27 PM by RogueBeaver »

Horwath explicitly said she's willing to trigger an election if her budget demands aren't met. Probably some sort of fudgy compromise IMO.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1034 on: March 01, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »

More fallout from Very Ethnic, BC Edition: constituency association presidents are also quitting. Dix will have 2 terms guaranteed.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1035 on: March 03, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »

Christy Clark has to face down a party revolt this afternoon. Even speculation they'll oust her, though I'll doubt that. Though being compared to Vander Zalm... ouch. Mega ouch.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/scandal-plagued-bc-premier-christy-clark-calls-emergency-cabinet-meeting--194603861.html

http://www.cknw.com/news/vancouver/story.aspx/story.aspx?ID=1902292
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1036 on: March 03, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »

They have pretty much nothing to lose at this point, so perhaps an ouster wouldn't be that horrid (although it must be pointed out that now it looks like they'll maintain 15-25 seats instead 5-10, as it had looked like they would at some points last year). However, my understanding for the poll "improvement" was that it was the result of the BC provincial Conservatives imploding, so it probably doesn't mean that much regardless.

Were she to somehow resign as leader, who would be waiting in the wings to replace her?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1037 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »

Craig Oliver confirmed that there is a coup attempt underway on QP about half an hour ago. Cabinet meets at 4 Eastern, then she has to face her caucus and the Legislature tomorrow. Remember that things are a knife-edge there too... they're down to 45-36-4 (started at 49-35) in the Legislature. If a few Lib backbenchers decide to go nuclear and vote against their party on confidence- a la Diefenbaker '63- then they can be defeated on the floor. Probably try more conventional means first. This stuff violates the Public Service Act and civil service rules about using government resources for party purposes.

One name mentioned is George Abbott, the 3rd-place finisher from 2011. Most of the big names are bailing out. Dunno if he'd accept though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1038 on: March 03, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »

Breaking: Cabinet expected to vote non-confidence in Clark. Just like Dief half a century ago. If they do then she'll be out if they can find a replacement.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1039 on: March 03, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »

Breaking: Cabinet expected to vote non-confidence in Clark. Just like Dief half a century ago. If they do then she'll be out if they can find a replacement.

Why not just call a snap election to save the party the bother of a convention?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1040 on: March 03, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »

The legislature will be dissolved in a few weeks for a May 14 election.

As for tonight's Cabinet meeting: it started 45 minutes ago. Mixed reports on what will happen but my gut tells me she'll stay. Tomorrow it's caucus and legislature- they might have a different view. Will last for a few hours and then she'll meet the press. My guess is that they'll exact a pound of flesh and leave it there.

Things will be easier when they comb through the post-electoral wreckage since Clark will lose her highly marginal seat and most of the would-be leaders are retiring rather than be personally defeated.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1041 on: March 03, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »

Meeting just ended. God knows what was said in there- they're still planning on executing one of the items on that agenda, namely apologizing for the Chinese head tax! Tone-deaf doesn't begin to describe this...

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1042 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:29 AM »

Maybe Clark actually doesn't want her job and is looking for the most elaborate way to get out of it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1043 on: March 05, 2013, 07:40:14 AM »

Perhaps he is upset at redistricting. Him and the Chicoutimi-Le Fjord MP would live in the same riding, now and the party would give a preference to the other one?

Redistricting wont be an issue for a while now, methinks. But we could see some interesting things happening. I can't recall a time where 2 sitting federal NDP MPs had to run against each other for a nomination before.

Does Canada have a residential requirement for MPs? Over here, they would probably run in their redistributed riding (unless it had been adversely affected by the redistribution) and may or not move house after. I knew someone who moved house because he insisted on living in his electorate, and I know of another MP who, at retirement, lived 40km outside his electorate because he didn't move during his career, and successive redistributions kept moving his boundary further and further away (when he started, he lived in the centre of his electorate, or thereabouts). Labor MPs in safe Labor seats generally don't want to live in their electorates, since safe Labor areas tend to be less desirable neighbourhoods.

Anyway, I think it should be up to the voters. I think a local will best represent local interests, but it's like any other policy position - the voters can decide what matters to them and make up their own mind about who should represent them in Parliament.

Canada does not have a residency requirement. As an example, Jack Layton and Olivia Chow lived together (in Trinity-Spadina, I believe) and represented separate ridings.

Yeah, and that's part of why it's almost necessary to not have a residency requirement.  The way the leadership system works for the parties, some of the parties would really suffer if they couldn't try to get their leader elected in a by-election unless it was in the leader's home riding.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1044 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »

Did anyone see the hilarious mudslinging contest between Lilley and McGregor on Twitter? McGregor won hands-down.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1045 on: March 06, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »

NDP in 2nd place.... in PEI!!! http://cra.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/13-1-PE-Political-Press-Release1.pdf
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1046 on: March 06, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »

...dafuq?

Rogue poll or perhaps something big is starting on the island...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1047 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »

RIP Stompin' Tom.  I haven't been this sad about someone dying since Jack Layton died.  Cry
Benj

« Reply #1048 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2013, 01:00:14 PM by Benj »

If you believe their polling, the NDP has been steadily gaining over the past year (their results go 11-18-18-22-26, Feb-May-Aug-Nov-Feb, for the NDP). 26% (and 16% for the PCs) may be an outlier, but they definitely seem to have gained considerable ground.

The PCs are between leaders at the moment, though. Who knows what will happen when they get a new leader.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1049 on: March 07, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »

If you believe their polling, the NDP has been steadily gaining over the past year (their results go 11-18-18-22-26, Feb-May-Aug-Nov-Feb, for the NDP). 26% (and 16% for the PCs) may be an outlier, but they definitely seem to have gained considerable ground.

The PCs are between leaders at the moment, though. Who knows what will happen when they get a new leader.

I wish our devolved politics was as unpredictable Sad
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies