Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:09:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256318 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: December 20, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »

It was a handful of Martinets, nothing too broadly based- most of the establishment from Chretien down is firmly behind JT.

RTW: Hudak's also planning that if he wins a majority. US experience shows the PEUs usually take a huge blow, but our rate of unionization is triple theirs so we'll wait and see. As for Poilievre (who I met a few months ago), even though he overdoes the attack-dog thing on occasion I have hopes he'll see bigger things down the line.
Foucaulf
« Reply #926 on: December 20, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »

RTW: Hudak's also planning that if he wins a majority. US experience shows the PEUs usually take a huge blow, but our rate of unionization is triple theirs so we'll wait and see. As for Poilievre (who I met a few months ago), even though he overdoes the attack-dog thing on occasion I have hopes he'll see bigger things down the line.

Sorry, I was a bit glib there:

I think were such legislation passed Canadian unions will be crippled by it. Education's the big one, followed by public employers' unions (e.g. Air Canada, bureaucrats), though maybe the steelworkers and the CAW will be more resilient.

The question is whether such legislation can boost economic growth at all. I don't think so if Ontario is going through a structural thing where the manufacturing employees have to go somewhere else. If legislation is passed, then by 2015 the deficit will still be there and the Conservatives' economic credibility will continue to erode. But a lot of this is empty talk because the federal government are responsible for labour law in very few professions; god help us if Hudak's PCs survive longer than one mandate.

Poilievre, at least, is a better thinker than Del Mastro. Harper's economic ministers (Flaherty, Paradis, Raitt, Ambrose) are settled in; maybe he could replace Oliver one day.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #927 on: December 23, 2012, 05:04:57 PM »

Agreed with Den Tandt: a major shuffle is long overdue. I'd also add Chris Alexander and Shelly Glover to his list of those who need Green Cards and Penashue to the Red Card list. Rajotte can replace Flaherty at Finance when he retires. Glover or Leitch could go to Public Safety if Toews retires. Alexander should but obviously won't replace MacKay at MOD, or maybe slide over into the useless ID portfolio since Fantino is worse than useless IMO.

http://o.canada.com/2012/12/23/1224-col-dentandt/

On QP today Flaherty said the next budget won't be adventurous and he's open to tax reform, though not lowering personal tax rates. Sad Plus he's looking outside the Bank for Carney's successor, hinted that he wants to stay till the budget's balanced.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #928 on: December 23, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »

Chris Alexander certainly deserves to be in cabinet.

James Rajotte also deserves a spot there, the only reason he doesn't have a seat at the cabinet table already is because of the number of other Albertans. I really hope he gets elevated, he deserves the role, he was fantastic as Industry Critic prior to the 2006 election.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #929 on: December 23, 2012, 09:36:59 PM »

Plus the lack of an economic slot available for Rajotte. Alexander's most realistic prospect would be International Development, which should really be folded into Foreign Affairs anyhow IMO. Baird's doing a good job at Foreign Affairs and MacKay will not be moved anytime soon. Heck, he might stay there for the government's duration at this rate.

On the other side Mulcair barely shuffled Layton's Shadow Cabinet so I don't know if he will do anything further. Trudeau will probably keep his party's SC status quo except possibly moving Bob Rae into Foreign Affairs, depending on the timing of Rae's retirement.

Newsmakers of the year: Bieber and Magnotta. Ugh.

http://thestar.blogs.com/politics/2012/12/newsmaker-of-2012-bad-choice.html

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/Justin%2BBieber%2Bnamed%2B2012%2BCanadian%2Bnewsmaker/7738795/story.html
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #930 on: December 23, 2012, 09:37:33 PM »

Penashue is the only Tory MP from Newfoundland, so I think he'll stay on regardless.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #931 on: December 23, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »

Yeah. He's been a total flop. Proof that resumes don't necessarily equal performance. I'd eventually replace him with Leitch or Aglukkaq, who have the interpersonal skills required for that job.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #932 on: December 31, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2012, 11:39:44 PM by RogueBeaver »

Mostly agreed with Wells.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/12/31/politics-2013-the-calmer-middle-part/

Hudak interview.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tim-hudaks-new-persona-combines-smooth-talk-with-stern-measures/article6824753/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Feelgood story to end the year.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1309024--afghans-who-helped-canadian-army-adapt-to-life-in-toronto#.UOIuBqyLjbo.twitter

Oh, and Bye Bye is hilarious as usual. Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #933 on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »

God Hudak is such a horrible and sickening piece of crap. God bless our souls if that reactionary moron ever gets his hands on this province.

The Bye-Bye, like for the last 2-3 years, was horrible. Quebec humour (or lack thereof, actually) is pretty awful. If it wasn't for my parents, I'd probably have watched some American show, like the one with Carly Rae Jepsen.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #934 on: January 01, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »

My early prediction for Ontario: it looks a lot like our recent campaign in Quebec.

Aboriginal issues might loom large this year.

http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2013/01/01/first-nations-chiefs-contemplate-breach-of-treaty-declarations-indefinite-economic-disruptions/

Flaherty's staying.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1308867--finance-minister-jim-flaherty-staying-put-until-deficit-erased
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #935 on: January 04, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2013, 12:22:04 PM by RogueBeaver »

PM will meet First Nations leaders.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/canadian-press-newsalert-pm-to-meet-first-nations-leaders-next-friday-185659032.html

Jobless rate on the decline.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/01/04/business-jobs-canada.html

Angus-Reid pegs an even race: 35C/33N/19L. With Trudeau in the mix, 42L/26C/19N.

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/48181/conservatives-and-new-democrats-remain-practically-even-in-canada/
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #936 on: January 04, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »

What's everyone's thoughts on how Trudeau will poll once he is actually leader. I think he will do ok, but this Liberal majority nonsense will stop.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #937 on: January 04, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »

I'd say low 30s max.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #938 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »

Excellent news.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

*face palm* that's an 18-19% swing from the NDP to Liberals.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #939 on: January 04, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »

Both parties get hit.
Benj

« Reply #940 on: January 04, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »

What's everyone's thoughts on how Trudeau will poll once he is actually leader. I think he will do ok, but this Liberal majority nonsense will stop.

Presumably at first the Liberals will poll even better than they poll with him as leader now (honeymoon), but the Liberals will then steadily decline as time goes on, possibly precipitously decline if he really messes up. At an actual election, hard to see him doing better than a somewhat-close second, but more likely third, doing worse on seats than votes. Basically the same trajectory CAQ followed.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #941 on: January 04, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »

Actually that's pretty low considering how much of the electorate is anti-Harper and doesn't care which party it takes to get rid of him.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #942 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/olivia-chow-diagnosed-with-viral-infection-that-causes-partial-face-paralysis/article6939315/

SadSadSadSadSad
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #943 on: January 04, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »

I answered that Angus Reid survey two days ago. I am in their web based panel.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #944 on: January 04, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »

I answered that Angus Reid survey two days ago. I am in their web based panel.

I am too; I didn't get that survey though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #945 on: January 04, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »

Hopefully she'll get better. It doesn't look that bad.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #946 on: January 04, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »

Actually that's pretty low considering how much of the electorate is anti-Harper and doesn't care which party it takes to get rid of him.

But those figures seem to suggest Trudeau receives substantial support from people who would otherwise vote Tory as well. Like a Canadian Blair.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #947 on: January 05, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »

True. I'm somewhat surprised as it seemed that the Tory floor was 30% or so. Obviously that isn't the case.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #948 on: January 06, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »

True. I'm somewhat surprised as it seemed that the Tory floor was 30% or so. Obviously that isn't the case.

It probably still is, actually.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #949 on: January 06, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »

It probably still is, actually.

True. I'm pretty sure our "Justin Trudeau is a pretty boy, not a leader" ads should knock 4% off at least Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies