Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:20:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256409 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: June 08, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »

It seems the new consultant (Frank Hall) EKOS (where I work) brought in is involved in the latest Tory scandal: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06/06/tory-robocall-defence-mp-himself-under-investigation-by-elections-canada/

Very amusing, since nobody likes him or his changes.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #526 on: June 08, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »

For the first time in a while, I agree with her.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1208502--chantal-hebert-jury-is-still-out-on-thomas-mulcair-s-makeover-of-the-ndp

Plus the Del Maestro stuff from earlier this week. As I've said often the guy is our Coderre- a loudmouthed embarrassment to the party. Dunno why on earth Harper wants him as his PS.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #527 on: June 09, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »

Major Cabinet shuffle incoming.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1208579--cabinet-shuffle-expected-to-put-new-face-on-stephen-harper-government
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #528 on: June 09, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »

Harper really needs it. It'll be nice to see some losers being replaced with soon-to-be losers.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #529 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »

1) Abolish Oda's ministry and put it back in Foreign Affairs as a division, where it belongs.

2) Replace MacKay with Alexander.

3) James Moore goes to Environment.

4) Shelly Glover becomes Vic Toews' parliamentary secretary, in line to replace him in a couple of shuffles.

5) Keep Nicholson where he is.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #530 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »

Hell, Bev Oda just needs to be fired. What an embarrassment.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #531 on: June 09, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »

Harper doesn't like firing people from Cabinet entirely. Simply because a) admitting he was wrong b) puts him on the political defensive. Prefers to wait things out- Chretien did the same thing later in his premiership (Jane Stewart anyone?).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #532 on: June 09, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »

Except don't you think that his persona of a man with an iron grip is damaging? The only reason Harper has managed to do so well is because he's lucked out with some hilariously weak competition. That might not be the case next time around.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #533 on: June 09, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »

He can always... entice her to resign.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #534 on: June 10, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »

I don't know why I care or am even looking forward to this shuffle, considering that Harper will only be shifting his gang of morons around, without anything changing. At the very least, he should fire the criminals like Oda or MacKay.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #535 on: June 10, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »

I knew everything cost more in Nunavut, but some of these prices are really shocking: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html#s=more231471

$82 for a 12 pack of Ginger Ale (355mL cans)!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #536 on: June 10, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »

I knew everything cost more in Nunavut, but some of these prices are really shocking: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html#s=more231471

It may sound heartless, but no one is forcing them to live there.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #537 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »

(Ignoring the asinine suggestion for a moment) But, what if they can't afford to get out? There's no roads to Iqaluit.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #538 on: June 10, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »

If that's your response to income inequality, hunger and high food prices in the northern territories, then you wouldn't make a good social democrat. But I'm sure you already knew that. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #539 on: June 10, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »

No one is forcing them to import packaged southern foods, though. Though that concern is answered in the article.
Do they pay gasoline taxes up north? Cause hunters on snowmobiles don't use roads...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #540 on: June 10, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »

Time to invest in green house agriculture? The population is small enough to make it worth while.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #541 on: June 10, 2012, 07:59:28 PM »

If that's your response to income inequality, hunger and high food prices in the northern territories, then you wouldn't make a good social democrat. But I'm sure you already knew that. Smiley

How does providing subsidies to those living in certain areas but not in others make one a good social democrat?  I'd oppose such subsidies for the same reason I am opposed to the US flood insurance program that subsidizes people who choose to live along the coast in hurricane zones.

Under the circumstances tho, I could see offering the people who live north of 55N assistance in relocating to a less remote location.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #542 on: June 10, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »

Lawrence MacAulay is NOT retiring, contra yesterday's rumours.

https://twitter.com/ryhicks/status/211880710091448320
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #543 on: June 11, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »

How does providing subsidies to those living in certain areas but not in others make one a good social democrat?  I'd oppose such subsidies for the same reason I am opposed to the US flood insurance program that subsidizes people who choose to live along the coast in hurricane zones.

Under the circumstances tho, I could see offering the people who live north of 55N assistance in relocating to a less remote location.

I see you have no concept of emotional attachment to where one lives, and how much more important it is for aboriginals such as the Inuit. Not to mention the complete culture shock of having to move from their traditional territory down south. That leads to huge social problems for them, worse than the problems of living up north.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #544 on: June 11, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »

I see you have no concept of emotional attachment to where one lives, and how much more important it is for aboriginals such as the Inuit. Not to mention the complete culture shock of having to move from their traditional territory down south. That leads to huge social problems for them, worse than the problems of living up north.

If they want to purchase a 12-pack of ginger ale, then odds are they aren't really living authentically one with the nature using every part of the animal etc.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #545 on: June 11, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

If they want to purchase a 12-pack of ginger ale, then odds are they aren't really living authentically one with the nature using every part of the animal etc.

If you read the article, you would see that traditional hunting costs just as much as actual groceries, so that's a moot point.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #546 on: June 11, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »

If you read the article, you would see that traditional hunting costs just as much as actual groceries, so that's a moot point.

"Nunavut's larder of "country food" — caribou, seals, fish and other animals — is there for the taking, but only if people can afford the snowmobiles, gas, rifles, ammunition and gear needed to travel safely. Elliott estimates hunting costs about $150 a day."

That doesn't sound like "traditional hunting" to me.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #547 on: June 11, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »

"Nunavut's larder of "country food" — caribou, seals, fish and other animals — is there for the taking, but only if people can afford the snowmobiles, gas, rifles, ammunition and gear needed to travel safely. Elliott estimates hunting costs about $150 a day."

OK, do you suggest that feeding and using a dog team would be any cheaper/less time consuming?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #548 on: June 11, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »

OK, do you suggest that feeding and using a dog team would be any cheaper/less time consuming?

That's why they have their "emotional attachment to the land," is it not?  Also, they were able to afford it for a few thousand years.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #549 on: June 11, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »

That's why they have their "emotional attachment to the land," is it not?  Also, they were able to afford it for a few thousand years.

"Afford?" I don't know if that's an appropriate word, considering their society wasn't exactly capitalist. I would hope that you can see why going back to a pre-colonization traditional way of life isn't exactly an option.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies