Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:07:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256098 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: April 23, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2012, 02:49:36 PM by Marokai Béliqueux »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1166296--ontario-budget-mcguinty-agrees-to-horwath-s-tax-the-rich-scheme

A hearty congratulations to Horwath.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #426 on: April 23, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »

I'm not surprised. McGuinty is a left-Liberal and more generally has the spine of a jellyfish.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #427 on: April 23, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »

I intern in his office! But, I haven't been there in a couple of weeks. This really affects me a lot. I've been counting on contract work in that office to supplement my income.

What do I do?

Sad
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #428 on: April 23, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »

I intern in his office! But, I haven't been there in a couple of weeks. This really affects me a lot. I've been counting on contract work in that office to supplement my income.

What do I do?

Sad

How does that change your employment status? Or is your contract to him include something about the party?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #429 on: April 23, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »

What do I do?

Sad

How does that change your employment status? Or is your contract to him include something about the party?

Well, it's contract work. I work for x hrs for x $ on certain office projects. I don't think party affiliation matters. I just hate turncoats, so this is just a struggle within myself. Do I even put my work in his office on my resume when looking for an NDP job? Hmm...
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #430 on: April 23, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »

What do I do?

Sad

Well, it's contract work. I work for x hrs for x $ on certain office projects. I don't think party affiliation matters. I just hate turncoats, so this is just a struggle within myself. Do I even put my work in his office on my resume when looking for an NDP job? Hmm...

No one has to know you worked there beyond his defection...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #431 on: April 23, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »

What do I do?

Sad

No one has to know you worked there beyond his defection...

Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #432 on: April 23, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »

Ok, well, I'm going into the office on Wednesday. We'll see how things go from there. Probably won't share any information though.

FTR, while Hyer endorsed Cullen in the leadership race he said he would be happy with Mulcair.

""I have been thinking carefully about a successor since Jack's tragic death. I have worked with most of the candidates for over three years, and am impressed by most of them. I have questioned them all closely. All the candidates got back to me with thoughtful responses to my questions except for Peggy Nash. I will be voting for only 3 nominees on the preferential ballot: Nathan Cullen, Thomas Mulcair, and Paul Dewar."
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #433 on: April 23, 2012, 03:39:53 PM »

A Northern Ontario New Democrat. I'm pissed right now. Stupid.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #434 on: April 23, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »

What does everyone make of Mulcair's Shadow Cabinet reshuffle? Certainly making a better use of available talent than either Harper or Rae is ATM.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #435 on: April 23, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »

What does everyone make of Mulcair's Shadow Cabinet reshuffle? Certainly making a better use of available talent than either Harper or Rae is ATM.

Well, Bruce Hyer didn't like it, apparently.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #436 on: April 23, 2012, 05:46:04 PM »

Well screw Bruce Hyer. He doesn't care about Northern Ontario. Just cares about himself. Jerk.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: April 23, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »

I'm so furious right now. First this. Now that idiot Bev Oda's hotel scandal, after Harper's budget cut her ministry by the tune of nearly $400 million and after his budget raises our retirement age and cuts our pensions. And it cost the taxpayers $665 a night. Of course, she paid the difference. But it's like we're paying them. We are paying them to f.uck us over. And they're laughing. Because they win, they always win. They lie and cheat and they always win. I can't stand it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #438 on: April 23, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »

Oda's not my favourite either- I think her ministry should be shuttered entirely (indeed, the Cabinet can be nearly halved IMO) or at least handed over to someone competent. Say, Chris Alexander.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #439 on: April 23, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »

Oh, another Liberal is saying than Quebec is heading for independence.
Michael Ignatieff.

http://www.canada.com/news/Quebec+headed+independence+Ignatieff+tells+radio/6505048/story.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #440 on: April 23, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »

Who was the first? As usual, Iggy's talking BS. That issue is left to a trio of Pelciquistes- Dion, Garneau and Trudeau.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #441 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »

A Northern Ontario New Democrat. I'm pissed right now. Stupid.

So his reasoning is that 'in four years, if the NDP forms government and if Mulcair is Prime Minister, he plans on reintroducing the long gun registry and this is likely to be a whipped vote? Oh, and by the way, it just so happens that, and this is just a coincidence, I was passed over for a shadow ministry. My constituents are therefore not valued by Mulcair...' That's what I take from his statement on his website, anyway:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #442 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:21 AM »

Anybody care to give me a quick rundown of politics in Canada? Like what are the major parties, what the political geography is like (where are the given parties strong and vice versa) and recent changes. All I know is that the Conservatives are in power an they do really well in Alberta. I'd really like to know more. 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #443 on: April 24, 2012, 04:42:47 AM »

Anybody care to give me a quick rundown of politics in Canada? Like what are the major parties, what the political geography is like (where are the given parties strong and vice versa) and recent changes. All I know is that the Conservatives are in power an they do really well in Alberta. I'd really like to know more. 

There are five parties with MPs elected federally - the Conservatives (with a majority), the left-wing NDP (Official Opposition), the slightly-to-the-left-of-centre Liberals (were Opposition until last year, when they lost most of their seats, including their leader's), the Bloc Quebecois (platform is independence for Quebec), and the Greens hold a seat in BC.

With the exception of the NDP, provincial parties aren't affiliated with their federal counterparts, I believe, and while the NDP did best in Quebec federally, there is no provincial NDP in that province. This will lead you to correctly infer that provincial and national elections aren't held concurrently.

There are numerous maps in the International Elections gallery, and discussions about the politics in the International Elections board, just a few boards up.

Earl has a great website, which you should be able to find through google, although there are links in the Alberta election thread, too, he calls it Canadian Election Atlas, and hosts it at blogspot. The506, another poster on here, has a really good webpage, too, but I can't remember the link.

So the maps make sense, Conservatives (Tories) are blue, the NDP (Dippers) are orange, the Liberals (Grits) are red, the Bloc are light blue/aqua and the Greens are, well, green (except in provincial politics, where it is the various conservative parties - Wildrose, the Saskatchewan Party or the Yukon Party).

Oh, and in case you hadn't seen, the NDP stands for New Democrats.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #444 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2012, 09:39:57 AM by Holmes »

I think the federal Liberals are associated with some of the provincial parties, ftr. I believe they're all in the Maritimes, though.

New CROP poll of Quebec has NDP at 51%, Bloc at 18%, Liberals at 15%, Conservatives at 12%. So which ridings wouldn't go NDP? Mount Royal? Maybe Saint-Laurent-Cartierville? Beauce?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #445 on: April 24, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »

I think the federal Liberals are associated with some of the provincial parties, ftr. I believe they're all in the Maritimes, though.

New CROP poll of Quebec has NDP at 51%, Bloc at 18%, Liberals at 15%, Conservatives at 12%. So which ridings wouldn't go NDP? Mount Royal? Maybe Saint-Laurent-Cartierville? Beauce?

Saint-Laurent-Cartierville, Beauce, Papineau, Saint-Leonard-Saint-Michel. That's it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #446 on: April 24, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »

There are five parties with MPs elected federally - the Conservatives (with a majority), the left-wing NDP (Official Opposition), the slightly-to-the-left-of-centre Liberals (were Opposition until last year, when they lost most of their seats, including their leader's), the Bloc Quebecois (platform is independence for Quebec), and the Greens hold a seat in BC.

With the exception of the NDP, provincial parties aren't affiliated with their federal counterparts, I believe, and while the NDP did best in Quebec federally, there is no provincial NDP in that province. This will lead you to correctly infer that provincial and national elections aren't held concurrently.

There are numerous maps in the International Elections gallery, and discussions about the politics in the International Elections board, just a few boards up.

Earl has a great website, which you should be able to find through google, although there are links in the Alberta election thread, too, he calls it Canadian Election Atlas, and hosts it at blogspot. The506, another poster on here, has a really good webpage, too, but I can't remember the link.

So the maps make sense, Conservatives (Tories) are blue, the NDP (Dippers) are orange, the Liberals (Grits) are red, the Bloc are light blue/aqua and the Greens are, well, green (except in provincial politics, where it is the various conservative parties - Wildrose, the Saskatchewan Party or the Yukon Party).

Oh, and in case you hadn't seen, the NDP stands for New Democrats.

Thanks a lot!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #447 on: April 24, 2012, 11:55:45 AM »

Saint-Laurent-Cartierville, Beauce, Papineau, Saint-Leonard-Saint-Michel. That's it.

I think Papineau would fall, but not Mount Royal.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #448 on: April 24, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »

I think Papineau would fall, but not Mount Royal.

Trudeau doubled his margin last time. Cotler barely won. Don't underestimate Justin as a campaigner. Especially not when he runs on C&C- constituency services and charisma. Cotler was so shaken that he almost immediately decided that 2011 was his last election, and this is an open secret in the Anglo community.  Maybe Coderre survives in Bourassa as well.

That said, I'm discounting what the polls say for at least another 15-18 months. Remember that Mulcair could win 70 seats in Quebec while Harper still wins a majority.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #449 on: April 24, 2012, 04:33:22 PM »

Papineau can go NDP with a strong campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies