Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:17:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256033 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: April 19, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »

I'm pretty impressed with how Horwath is handling the budget. It's the Liberals' budget, but with the Tories firmly in the no category, Horwath is seen as the adult and is getting a lot of (more good than bad) press about her proposals. Doesn't hurt that the proposals are popular ones, too. New Forum poll shows Tories at 34, Dippers at 31 and Grits at 28. Hopefully when the electorate remembers Hudak is the leader of the PCs, they'll run away from them.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #401 on: April 19, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »

She's not stupid, and forcing an election would be stupid from the NDP's POV. She can't prop him up forever though, as the fates of Iggy and David Lewis would remind her.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #402 on: April 19, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »

Apparently, the big lines of the NDP new shadow cabinet is:

Deputy leaders: Libby Davies, David Chistopherson and Megan Leslie.
Parlimentary leader: Nathan Cullen.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #403 on: April 19, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »

3 deputy leaders? Yeesh. Cullen's a good choice for House Leader though. Dewar and Nash are also resuming their previous roles at Finance and Foreign Affairs while Turmel becomes Chief Whip.

On another note, remind me why Harper hasn't fired MacKay yet. My best guess is that he's stripping away many of his powers while letting him twist in the wind. "Resignation by humiliation"- in which case it depends what lasts longer: the PM's patience or MacKay's self-regard.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/04/19/john-ivison-peter-mackays-defence-reign-could-end-with-latest-dnd-embarrassment/
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #404 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »

Because MacKay has no power, as all other ministers.
All power is obviously held by the PMO.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »

Because MacKay has no power, as all other ministers.
All power is obviously held by the PMO.

The ministers who Harper trusts have power. Even those who aren't on P&P like Ambrose, Finley and Raitt. Long past time that Harper end this spectacle and put someone else in there.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »

Harper's governing style really reminds me of the Soviet or Chinese Politburo more than it does a Westminster Parliamentary system.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »

Chretien was the same way- plenty of scandalous ministers (Jane Stewart anyone?) who he didn't fire because it would be admitting weakness. Most strong PMs with autocratic tendencies are. Martin had sloppy Cabinet discipline and it showed. Mulroney had a more relaxed leadership style in his first term but later admitted in his memoirs that with hindsight, Chretien's approach was better.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »

She's not stupid, and forcing an election would be stupid from the NDP's POV. She can't prop him up forever though, as the fates of Iggy and David Lewis would remind her.

She knows it. Not that an election would be bad for the NDP - it would be bad for everyone. It's just been six months. But if she can get some of her proposals in, get press, and watch the NDP rise in the polls, why not milk it?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »

She knows it. Not that an election would be bad for the NDP - it would be bad for everyone. It's just been six months. But if she can get some of her proposals in, get press, and watch the NDP rise in the polls, why not milk it?

Prop the government up for eighteen months or two years so she can say "I've tried to work with them but the Premier is being stubborn and refusing to compromise for the benefit of the workers of Ontario who are doing it tough in this economic climate" as a justification when the time comes.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »

At Issue tonight: the prison announcements and Chretien's merger support. I agreed with Coyne on merger- it will not happen before the next election, if that. Disagree with Hebert that Rae has worn out his welcome, since there's no one else in caucus willing to jump in.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #411 on: April 20, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »

Desperate.

People should be calling for electoral reform, not a merger, but whatever.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #412 on: April 20, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »

Electoral reform is, like, too complicated.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #413 on: April 20, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »

Of course all the Liberals are for merger; it's the easiest way to get back into power despite the opinion of the electorate.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #414 on: April 20, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »

I happen to think the Liberals and NDP aren't quite so ideologically compatible. Indeed, on economic, defence and national unity issues they're closer to we Tories. And as Coyne pointed out last night, they would have about as much influence in the new party as the old PCs do in ours. Namely none.

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #415 on: April 20, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »

I happen to think the Liberals and NDP aren't quite so ideologically compatible. Indeed, on economic, defence and national unity issues they're closer to we Tories. And as Coyne pointed out last night, they would have about as much influence in the new party as the old PCs do in ours. Namely none.

I agree. From what I know about the Liberals and the NDP, it'd work as well as Labour merging with the Liberal Democrats...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #416 on: April 20, 2012, 08:12:51 PM »

Yep. If the Liberals hope for a comeback it won't be through cheap gimmicks like this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/20/pol-mulcair-position-on-marijuana-decriminalization.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #417 on: April 20, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »

It certainly made me second guess my support of Mulcair initially.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: April 21, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »

The Young Liberals are such potheads.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #419 on: April 21, 2012, 06:25:42 PM »

IIRC they tried to push through C&T before Rae shot that down. So yeah, don't trust them to judge the politics of policy.

Another Coyne idea was for the Grits to hoist the national unity banner and run against the NDP's opposition to the Clarity Act. While I entirely agree with the principle, that's an electoral nonstarter in ROQ.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #420 on: April 21, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »

The Young Liberals are such potheads.

That reminds me of a political organization over here (the UK) that used to exist (and maybe still does?), with the same name. But they were basically quasi-Marxists. Peter Hain was a member.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #421 on: April 21, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »

Peter Hain was actually their leader. Pretty sure Richard Burden (MP for Birmingham Longbridge Northfield) was a member was well.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #422 on: April 21, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »

IIRC they tried to push through C&T before Rae shot that down. So yeah, don't trust them to judge the politics of policy.

Another Coyne idea was for the Grits to hoist the national unity banner and run against the NDP's opposition to the Clarity Act. While I entirely agree with the principle, that's an electoral nonstarter in ROQ.

C&T?
Jackson
United States

« Reply #423 on: April 21, 2012, 09:33:41 PM »

Cap and Trade.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #424 on: April 23, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »

Dipper quits caucus over gun registry.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/gun-registry-opponent-bruce-hyer-quits-ndp-to-sit-as-independent/article2411269/

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies