Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:19:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256101 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »

One of the more interesting things about the 2011 election results was the way the Liberals were killed in Quebec outside Montreal Island. If they have no appeal outside the city, that's not good news for them; even if they rebound in the polls there, that lack of appeal gives them a definite ceiling. There are ridings where they got the sort of numbers that the NDP got in Quebec fifteen years ago.

I think the West will be important for the NDP at the next election, even more than Quebec. The Tories can keep winning by enormous margins in Alberta, but the rest of the Prairies are different, and the NDP is the only real opposition party there. Saskatchewan in particular is one place where I would expect big NDP gains in 2015; the NDP would gain a few seats right away assuming that a fair map is drawn, and voters there won't be voting against a provincial NDP government (like in Manitoba and Nova Scotia this last election), since the SaskTories ought to still be in power.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »

The Montreal thing is not new- the same happened in 2006/8. Trudeau is spot-on when he said that the Grits need to make a "values voters" (my paraphrase) pitch to Quebec. That doesn't mean whining about the registry ad infinitum. IMO it means reminding Quebecers that socially, they're on the same team and economically, Brisonism is the best way of sustaining the badly creaking Quebec (Orange) Model.

NDP: West is irrelevant for now. If they lose Quebec then they're back in 3rd no matter what.

Messaging aside, the Pelciquistes are weak for 3 reasons. 1) Organization. 2) Money. 3) Time Investment. When Coderre pulled that idiotic stunt 3 years ago (which nearly got him expelled from caucus for rank insubordination), Iggy stripped him of all the lieutenant's traditional powers except that of caucus liaison to the Pelciquiste executive. Unelected bureaucrats whom the electorate has never heard of are the ones operating what's left.

Coderre was replaced by Garneau, who's a nice guy but has no fundraising or organizational ability- plus absolutely no power over the bureaucrats. Hell, he nearly lost his own seat to a poteau.

Fundraising: No one donates to losers.

Time Investment: All the time was spent on candidate recruitment and almost nothing on actually developing constituency organizations. You find some grassroots activists who have organizational ability, create a nucleus, and come out to support them once in a while. Spend time touring the province, listen to voters. It took Harper 3 years just to get 10 seats. Rae has promised to spend a lot of time here this year, so he's doing that part right.

Coderre could have done this stuff, but did the exact opposite and bungled it. Garneau has also failed, and doesn't have the assertive personality required for this job (Previous holders include Lapierre, Ouellet, Lalonde, Marchand- alphas all). The only one who has the skills and knows what needs to be done... is the only one who Rae doesn't trust. A pity, but that's the way things are.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »

To give an idea of the problems of the Liberals, they had found a good candidate for my riding in 2008 (a former mayor of the main city), but, as they refused to commit money for his campaign, he declined.

Usually, those kinds of details doesn't go public, but they decided to write his name on the Liberal website anyways and saying to local media than he was their candidate.

He wasn't happy of that and didn't ran..
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »

Senator Boisvenu (a stupid guy whose daughters has been killed and became a "victims rights campaigner", even if he doesn't make consensus at all, because he doesn't give a damn about victims, he only cares about vengeance and honestly needs a therapy, not a policital office) said than "each murderer should have a rope in his cell".

I think he should retire and take a therapy and stop tarnishing his name in the public place, because it looks pathetic and quite sad.

I'm more upset that he took back his good idea
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »

Pensions, staged citizenship ceremonies, crime and Gateway. Nothing particularly interesting.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »

What is Gateway? I follow things, but it is remembering me nothing. I suppose it i called another way in French?

Or that is the oleoduc project in BC?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »

That's the pipeline debacle.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »

Gateway is the pipeline through northern BC.

Oh, and Pat Martin dropped another F-bomb on Twitter, this one directed at Boisvenu.

CSD: Yep, that's Coderre all right.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »

Interesting terminology. I wonder what'd happen in Harper tried to ram it though the house.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »

Toronto-Danforth scheduled for March 12.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/by-election-in-laytons-riding-scheduled-for-march-12/article2327105/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

TO-Danforth pushed back to March 19.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1127004--toronto-danforth-by-election-delayed-a-week
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »

Pensions, pensions, Caterpillar, pensions, hidden agenda.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »

Pensions, pensions, Caterpillar, pensions, hidden agenda.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »

Some retarded Purgatory blowhard also compared Allan Rock to Adolf Hitler. Words can't express my love for this oh-so-unifying government.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »

Pensions, hidden agenda, pensions, aboriginal education.

Notable exchanges: cheap mutual shots by Rae and MacKay.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »

2011 Census Data released.

Calgary and Edmonton grew fastest, followed by Saskatoon.  Saskatchewan grew for the first time in over a decade, as did Newfoundland and Labrador.  Tories hold most of the most overpopulated ridings.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »

Puh-leeze. Though there are some pro-choicers personally opposed to abortion in that caucus, most prominently Trudeau.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-fear-pro-lifers-trying-to-take-over-weakened-federal-party/article2331586/singlepage/#articlecontent
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2012, 03:17:13 PM »

Pensions, military procurement, pensions, Sino-Canadian trade.

Notable exchanges: Same as yesterday.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »

Still vile trolling no matter how you cut it.

http://www.canada.com/news/Tandt%2BLiberals%2Bunderestimate%2Bgruff%2Brural%2BTory%2Bwith%2Bground/6128220/story.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »

Can any Ontarians decipher this OPC inside baseball?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/adam-radwanski/leadership-review-wont-be-hudaks-top-concern-at-pc-convention/article2333738/

After running a campaign worthy of Rick Perry's presidential bid, probation is the very least Hudak deserves.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1128295--cohn-hudak-will-win-pc-vote-but-stay-on-probation

We know that Dalton. Tell us whether you'll be the wimphand or the whiphand. Personally I expect the former.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1128970--potential-labour-strife-looms-in-ontario-deficit-fight-dalton-mcguinty-warns
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »

Two elections away, and quite possibly a non-Tory government.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/changes-to-oas-wont-take-effect-before-2020-flaherty-says/article2334314/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »

That new poll has Tories 36, NDP 28, Grits 26. In Quebec a 4-way tie: Grits 28, NDP 25, Tories 24, BQ 20.

Can someone do some maps and/or projections if they have the time?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »

Those numbers smell fishy, Quebec in particular. You're in Quebec; what do you make of them?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »

The overall trend is believable, but I can't see where the Quebec Grit bubble would be coming from. As I've written before, they have nothing on the ground* and haven't invested any real effort here. In terms of seats, I'd expect their return to the 2006/8 status quo ante (13 seats, 16%), but not much more than that.

Nationally the trend has been repeatedly confirmed. Bob Rae is LOTO in all but name and more often than not the Liberal Shadow Cabinet outguns their NDP counterpart. Once the NDP A-team returns and they get a new leader it will be basically an even match.

If you want my whole spiel on the Grits' Quebec woes, 'tis earlier in the thread.

*Rae has promised to do a full-scale tour later this year and Trudeau usually does quarterly speaking tours. Neither of which are organizational work...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »

Pensions, trade, hidden agenda.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies