Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:58:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256292 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »

Also, the executive council of Toronto, appointed by the mayor doesn't seem to support him anymore.

And Tyrone Benskin (NDP, Jeanne-Le Ber) was excluded from shadow cabinet after Mulcair learned in news than he didn't pay his provincial taxes between 2007 and 2011. He blamed it on being an artist and having no money to pay.

Dude, come on. All the poors in regular jobs managed to to pay their taxes and survive.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »

Also, the executive council of Toronto, appointed by the mayor doesn't seem to support him anymore.

And Tyrone Benskin (NDP, Jeanne-Le Ber) was excluded from shadow cabinet after Mulcair learned in news than he didn't pay his provincial taxes between 2007 and 2011. He blamed it on being an artist and having no money to pay.

Dude, come on. All the poors in regular jobs managed to to pay their taxes and survive.

I only report what he said, it's not my opinion.

"Dude come on" is addressed @ Mr. Benskin.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »

Been suspended because they lost contact with the dealer.

Aka, there's a fairly decent chance the tape never existed.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »

Wonder if the Ford camp bought the tape? Sad

This is terrible news.

Roll Eyes
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »

Been suspended because they lost contact with the dealer.

Aka, there's a fairly decent chance the tape never existed.

So then what would be the point of it? They're not getting any money from it. The link mentions some have already seen it, including journalists to verify it's real. Maybe the guy who had it got scared off.

"Mayor Smoking Crack" tends to sell newspapers. The Star is not known for being sympathetic to right wingers. I would expect similar scepticism if Fox said they saw a video of Obama smoking crack. I think this is a case of wishful thinking on the Star's part.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »

Does anyone have the suspicion that Harper leaked the Duffy emails to ensure Duffy takes all the blame and limit the attention at himself?

Not really, but who knows. Something I've noticed is that the left usually likes to label their opponents as stupid if they're on the attack. Harper is weird because the usual criticism seems to imply that he's an evil genius Wink
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »

I'm going to do a profile of the upcoming NS election (Fall 2013/Spring 2014). Is now a good time or should I wait till after summer?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

Fair enough. Might as well start working on it now.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »

Elections NS has published the notional results of the new riding boundaries.

Note: The Liberals would have won a by-election in Inverness had the new boundaries been used.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »

This is nauseating.  http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/03/sikh-kids-who-want-to-play-soccer-wearing-turbans-should-play-in-their-backyards-quebec-soccer-federation/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quebec is the only province where this is an issue.

The french nationalist vibe can go overboard at times.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »

Voting: Won't make a difference in any leadership matchup anyways, so I don't really understand why both sides are making such a BFD about it. Though I'd be most curious to know what Moore's position is.

In the Maritimes it's a pretty blatant case of "we don't want to lose influence".
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »

We definitely need to improve our Maritime bench in 2015. Truth be told I have my doubts MacKay even runs when the time comes, for fairly obvious reasons.

Indeed. Brison always struck me as the heavyweight in NS conservatism. To be fair to the Maritimes, we only have 13 MP's. There's more selection among MP's from Calgary than New Brunswick Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »

lol wut. Because the Liberals are the party of Libertarianism?

Being an independent MP gets lonely I guess.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »

Strong numbers for the NB NDP as well. CRA should be releasing their NS poll soon Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »

Strong numbers for the NB NDP as well. CRA should be releasing their NS poll soon Smiley

LOL at those PC numbers.

I'm dreading the NS ones Sad

If it makes you feel any better, all three parties in NS are self interested parochial outfits anyways Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »

Ivison says Flaherty "almost certainly" isn't running in 2015. Harper's not amused by Flaherty's public campaign to keep his job, but since the rule is retirees get dropped, Flaherty may quit rather than serving out the term as a backbencher. Oliver thinks the shuffle might be later rather than sooner, but he's the standout. Harper did his last mini-shuffle in July, and the new ministers will need a couple of months to learn their portfolios. So I'm guessing mid-late July. If Flaherty leaves Finance, I'd peg Clement as his replacement.

It'll be strange not having Flaherty at finance. Is there anyone else from the original cabinet still in their old portfolio?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »

My guesstimate of the NS #'s

Liberal: 31
NDP: 13
PC: 7

The Liberals sweep the province. The NDP maintains their urban Halifax stronghold but loses the suburbs. The Tories are scattered across the province, with a notable stronghold in Cumberland County.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »

Kind of surprised none of the parties are voting against it. I figured CAQ would have a few socons.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »

CAQ probably, given their ADQ roots. PLQ's definitely socially liberal.

What about their base? I picture the PLQ base as being more conservative.

PLQ base is Anglos (who tend to be wealthier) & upper middle class francophones. Those people seem more like Jon Huntsman than Mike Huckabee. CAQ has more of a rural conservative vibe going on.

I suppose social conservatism in Quebec died with Dupleissis.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 08:47:13 PM »

My friend's uncle is Peter MacKay's Chief of Staff. The friend says his uncle is quitting for some reason.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »

308's take on Atlantic Grit-mania. Plus the current federal polls. Always amazing to look back and see how quickly PET and Mulroney went south in their final terms.

I think the situation is worse when you consider that half of the majority re-elections were won by Jean Chretien who had the advantage of an almost perfectly divided right wing.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »

Brazeau and Harb have 30 days to repay expenses, dunno if this gets tied up in court.

Polls: Eh, I'm still optimistic for economic and political reasons. Plus if BC didn't teach us to ignore midterm polls, nothing will. However I do believe that if we win in '15, will be the final term before our fellow Canucks replace us with someone else.

Do you think Harper will go down with his ship after 2015 or will he quit and let someone else take the hit?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »

Breaking on CTV: Mulcair blew through multiple stop signs and security checkpoints on the Hill, didn't pull over for RCMP till he got to his parking space. Allegedly told the officer "don't you know who I am." He's since apologized for the incident. Not the first time this sort of thing has happened- Guergis, Raitt and Poilievre also had similar incidents. Regardless of party, my advice is the same: chill out. Not cool to go postal on people doing their jobs.

Mulcair is a freaking leader though. What a stupid thing to do.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »

If Justin Trudeau had done that instead of Mulcair, I would be soooooo happy.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »

Can someone give their opinion on an offline argument I'm having?

Suppose Peter MacKay & Stephen Harper waited until after the 2004 election to initiate merger talks. Would the Liberals have won a majority?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies