Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:21:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 258524 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »

It certainly made me second guess my support of Mulcair initially.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »

IIRC they tried to push through C&T before Rae shot that down. So yeah, don't trust them to judge the politics of policy.

Another Coyne idea was for the Grits to hoist the national unity banner and run against the NDP's opposition to the Clarity Act. While I entirely agree with the principle, that's an electoral nonstarter in ROQ.

C&T?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »

I intern in his office! But, I haven't been there in a couple of weeks. This really affects me a lot. I've been counting on contract work in that office to supplement my income.

What do I do?

Sad
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »

I intern in his office! But, I haven't been there in a couple of weeks. This really affects me a lot. I've been counting on contract work in that office to supplement my income.

What do I do?

Sad

How does that change your employment status? Or is your contract to him include something about the party?

Well, it's contract work. I work for x hrs for x $ on certain office projects. I don't think party affiliation matters. I just hate turncoats, so this is just a struggle within myself. Do I even put my work in his office on my resume when looking for an NDP job? Hmm...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »

What do I do?

Sad

How does that change your employment status? Or is your contract to him include something about the party?

Well, it's contract work. I work for x hrs for x $ on certain office projects. I don't think party affiliation matters. I just hate turncoats, so this is just a struggle within myself. Do I even put my work in his office on my resume when looking for an NDP job? Hmm...

No one has to know you worked there beyond his defection...

Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »

Ok, well, I'm going into the office on Wednesday. We'll see how things go from there. Probably won't share any information though.

FTR, while Hyer endorsed Cullen in the leadership race he said he would be happy with Mulcair.

""I have been thinking carefully about a successor since Jack's tragic death. I have worked with most of the candidates for over three years, and am impressed by most of them. I have questioned them all closely. All the candidates got back to me with thoughtful responses to my questions except for Peggy Nash. I will be voting for only 3 nominees on the preferential ballot: Nathan Cullen, Thomas Mulcair, and Paul Dewar."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2012, 04:33:22 PM »

Papineau can go NDP with a strong campaign.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »

Anybody have a good 1945 federal election map with ridings?

Why?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »

I want to see where CCF won seats outside of SK.

Well, here's the results by riding: http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/FederalRidingsHistory/hfer.asp?Language=E&Search=Gres&genElection=20&ridProvince=0&submit1=Search

If you want to know where the ridings are, you can click on the names and it will give you the boundary descriptions.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »

Cariboo - Central BC
Kootenay East- Eastern BC
Skeena - Northern BC
Vancouver East - self explanatory
Churchill - Northern Manitoba
Dauphin - Western Manitoba
Selkirk - Eastern Manitoba
Winnipeg North - self explanatory
Winnipeg North Centre - " "
Cape Breton South - Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

Ridings coloured based on who currently holds the seats
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »

I think that I do have the maps for the Ontario boundaries from WWI up until the 1950s, so I could at least do ON.

We're still waiting to see these maps, Hash Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »

37% in 1987: http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/politics/parties-leaders/ed-broadbent/ndp-tops-the-polls.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »

Proof that the NDP isn't at its all time peak.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2012, 10:56:03 AM »

Wow. I thought he had a ceiling of ~45% in the province.

Well, the "free enterprise coalition" can coalesce all they want, they're not going to win with the NDP polling that high. BTW, I read that the BC Liberals are thinking of changing their name to the "BC Party". Considering their stupid rhetoric, wouldn't calling themselves the "Free enterprise Party" make more sense?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »

Liberal voters are the one's who are "too wealthy to vote NDP and too smart to vote Tory". Basically they are an establishment party, representing traditional Liberal views. They are economically centre-right, socially centre-left. The NDP is a traditional social democratic party, except until now has not been one of the establishment parties (and still isn't, really).

Only time will tell if the Liberals are dead. I hope so, though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »

Perhaps, but especially if they divided the riding in half; they would win the south end easily. However, if they make two skinny ridings out of it, who knows? (TC is set to get smaller, as it's over populated)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »

It seems the new consultant (Frank Hall) EKOS (where I work) brought in is involved in the latest Tory scandal: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06/06/tory-robocall-defence-mp-himself-under-investigation-by-elections-canada/

Very amusing, since nobody likes him or his changes.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »

I knew everything cost more in Nunavut, but some of these prices are really shocking: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html#s=more231471

$82 for a 12 pack of Ginger Ale (355mL cans)!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »

I knew everything cost more in Nunavut, but some of these prices are really shocking: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html#s=more231471

It may sound heartless, but no one is forcing them to live there.

(Ignoring the asinine suggestion for a moment) But, what if they can't afford to get out? There's no roads to Iqaluit.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »

Time to invest in green house agriculture? The population is small enough to make it worth while.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »

If that's your response to income inequality, hunger and high food prices in the northern territories, then you wouldn't make a good social democrat. But I'm sure you already knew that. Smiley

How does providing subsidies to those living in certain areas but not in others make one a good social democrat?  I'd oppose such subsidies for the same reason I am opposed to the US flood insurance program that subsidizes people who choose to live along the coast in hurricane zones.

Under the circumstances tho, I could see offering the people who live north of 55N assistance in relocating to a less remote location.

I see you have no concept of emotional attachment to where one lives, and how much more important it is for aboriginals such as the Inuit. Not to mention the complete culture shock of having to move from their traditional territory down south. That leads to huge social problems for them, worse than the problems of living up north.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

If that's your response to income inequality, hunger and high food prices in the northern territories, then you wouldn't make a good social democrat. But I'm sure you already knew that. Smiley

How does providing subsidies to those living in certain areas but not in others make one a good social democrat?  I'd oppose such subsidies for the same reason I am opposed to the US flood insurance program that subsidizes people who choose to live along the coast in hurricane zones.

Under the circumstances tho, I could see offering the people who live north of 55N assistance in relocating to a less remote location.

I see you have no concept of emotional attachment to where one lives, and how much more important it is for aboriginals such as the Inuit. Not to mention the complete culture shock of having to move from their traditional territory down south. That leads to huge social problems for them, worse than the problems of living up north.

If they want to purchase a 12-pack of ginger ale, then odds are they aren't really living authentically one with the nature using every part of the animal etc.

If you read the article, you would see that traditional hunting costs just as much as actual groceries, so that's a moot point.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »

If they want to purchase a 12-pack of ginger ale, then odds are they aren't really living authentically one with the nature using every part of the animal etc.

If you read the article, you would see that traditional hunting costs just as much as actual groceries, so that's a moot point.

"Nunavut's larder of "country food" — caribou, seals, fish and other animals — is there for the taking, but only if people can afford the snowmobiles, gas, rifles, ammunition and gear needed to travel safely. Elliott estimates hunting costs about $150 a day."

That doesn't sound like "traditional hunting" to me.

OK, do you suggest that feeding and using a dog team would be any cheaper/less time consuming?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »

"Nunavut's larder of "country food" — caribou, seals, fish and other animals — is there for the taking, but only if people can afford the snowmobiles, gas, rifles, ammunition and gear needed to travel safely. Elliott estimates hunting costs about $150 a day."

OK, do you suggest that feeding and using a dog team would be any cheaper/less time consuming?

That's why they have their "emotional attachment to the land," is it not?  Also, they were able to afford it for a few thousand years.

"Afford?" I don't know if that's an appropriate word, considering their society wasn't exactly capitalist. I would hope that you can see why going back to a pre-colonization traditional way of life isn't exactly an option.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »

That's why they have their "emotional attachment to the land," is it not?  Also, they were able to afford it for a few thousand years.

"Afford?" I don't know if that's an appropriate word, considering their society wasn't exactly capitalist. I would hope that you can see why going back to a pre-colonization traditional way of life isn't exactly an option.

They can't have their cake and eat it too and expect other people to pay for the cake as well.  That's beyond unreasonable.

"expecting other people to pay" may not even have to be an option. But even if it is an option, there is definitely a strategic value for the country to have people living in northern communities, especially as the north opens up due to climate change. Many Inuit are being employed as Arctic rangers, in defence of Arctic sovereignty. "Arctic sovereignty" is actually a huge part of Stephen Harper's agenda.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies