Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:19:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 256090 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2300 on: December 02, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »

The Parti Quebecois: F[inks] economics, f[inks] the anglos, and f[inks] the foreigners.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2301 on: December 02, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »

Speaking of that, Duceppe has a mixed view of the charter. Some of it goes too far, other parts not far enough. Remembering that everyone's fairly close together.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2302 on: December 02, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »

lol
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2303 on: December 03, 2013, 12:31:56 PM »

U de M and Sherbrooke reject the PQ's odious document.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2304 on: December 03, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »

Anyone catch the debate on Chong's PMB? I'm with Funke.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2305 on: December 04, 2013, 03:14:54 PM »

Yellow siren: Ivison says that Harper may resign after he returns from Israel, though the PMO denies this obviously. Rather strangely, apparently Kenney does not want the leadership and would play kingmaker instead. Which goes against everything else I've ever read or thought I knew about the party's leadership. All of this is to be believed if seen, like the often-rumoured Flaherty departure. Personally I think Harper should lead as long as the party has confidence in him and we still have a majority. This would make for an interesting leadership race if Kenney indeed stays out: which Blue would step up?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2306 on: December 04, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »

Anyone catch the debate on Chong's PMB? I'm with Funke.

Indeed. #teamfunke

Never heard of that site before, though- but since I'm FB friends with her, I saw it posted on my feed.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2307 on: December 04, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »

What do you think of the Tory leadership speculation? I guess Baird would have to reconsider. Raitt maybe?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2308 on: December 04, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »

What do you think of the Tory leadership speculation? I guess Baird would have to reconsider. Raitt maybe?

Some of the also-rans might throw their names in if it isn't a coronation. Alexander is the prime example.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2309 on: December 04, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »

Some of the also-rans might throw their names in if it isn't a coronation. Alexander is the prime example.

You think Alexander would run? Plus Bernier and Moore.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2310 on: December 04, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

You think Alexander would run? Plus Bernier and Moore.

Well I didn't mean him specifically, I just meant that people who wouldn't have had a chance against Kenney will have to reconsider. Alexander running against Kenney is battling it out with Moore, Prentice etc for 2nd. Not much incentive to run. The same race without Kenney at least gives him a fighting chance of breaking away from the pack in a crowded race.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2311 on: December 04, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »

I have a lot of respect for Alexander. The only thing is, he is not in a safe seat by any stretch of the imagination. His seat was divided into Ajax, and the new Pickering-Uxbridge (including bits of Pickering-Scarborough East and Durham), and the safer of the two seats, Pickering-Uxbridge is still only 46% Conservative, according to pollmaps.ca. Ajax is slightly less safe, but if he takes P-U, than the existing P-SE MP would likely challenge, whereas they could both have seats if he runs in Ajax. Regardless, they are not safe and he'd have to work to hold it - which would reduce the time he can spend campaigning across the country.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2312 on: December 04, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »

Those current numbers are awful for we Tories in Ontario, though of course a lot will change in 18 months. The biggest names for the next leadership contest are all secure. It seems strange that Kenney, who has been pegged the heir apparent for so long, wouldn't run. Were it anyone but Ivison I wouldn't buy it for a second.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2313 on: December 04, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »

Wait, is Harper stepping down or something?

Kenney is seen as the frontrunner in any potential leadership, right?  I think someone like Trudeau would destroy him in popularity. I can think of a few better candidates who would make better leaders. His reputation may be tarnished a bit, but Peter McKay would be the best challenger to Trudeau's charisma.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2314 on: December 04, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »

Surely you troll? Kenney would destroy Trudeau in any substantive debate, as always happens in the House.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2315 on: December 04, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »

Surely you troll? Kenney would destroy Trudeau in any substantive debate, as always happens in the House.

Didn't say Kenney would not beat Trudeau in a debate, as he probably would. He just doesn't have that 'je ne sais quoi' that Trudeau has. There's a reason he's leading in the polls, and it is very much to the chagrin of his opponents like you and I.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2316 on: December 04, 2013, 08:09:39 PM »

Are we referring to this article? I stay away from the National Post as a rule (and I haven't read Canadian news in weeks) so I hadn't seen it. I'll believe it when I see it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2317 on: December 04, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »

Wow. That would be very interesting indeed.

That article raises a good point, that Kenney is pro-life, and that might hurt him, at least in a general. Also, what about those rumours about his personal life.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2318 on: December 04, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »

Kenney knows how to handle social issues and wouldn't legislate. As for personal life... his socon appeal suggests that won't be an issue either.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2319 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »

Kenney knows how to handle social issues and wouldn't legislate. As for personal life... his socon appeal suggests that won't be an issue either.

Doesn't matter. It would be great attack ad fodder. The Liberals have done it before.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2320 on: December 04, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »

We don't lack in rapid response or air war capability now, and Kenney ain't Day. I'm not worried about Harper or Kenney's prospects against Trudeau.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2321 on: December 04, 2013, 09:43:04 PM »

We don't lack in rapid response or air war capability now, and Kenney ain't Day. I'm not worried about Harper or Kenney's prospects against Trudeau.

I'd put it down as a concern, but not a deal breaker. Kenney doesn't have the same history of pontificating on this sort of thing. He's been pretty quiet about AFAIK.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2322 on: December 04, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »

I'd put it down as a concern, but not a deal breaker. Kenney doesn't have the same history of pontificating on this sort of thing. He's been pretty quiet about AFAIK.

Yeah, I mean Harper's old opposition speeches give us insight into what he really believes, but those haven't been an issue since the time they were made. Usually a Red friend of mine mentions an old CNN clip from 1990 when Kenney was a pro-life activist. What matters is when you mention or get mentioned in connection with a social issue and aren't prepared for rapid response, then get beaten to a pulp by the MSM. Like Hudak and the pro-life petition. Kenney would swat them down without a blink.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2323 on: December 04, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »

Liberal MLA Joachim Stroink is apologizing for posing with a guy wearing black face. Apparently it's a Dutch Christmas tradition. The local NDP youth is up in arms about it, which I would consider a positive because most of them aren't nearly as well balanced as Hatman or lilTommy.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2324 on: December 04, 2013, 11:29:20 PM »

Liberal MLA Joachim Stroink is apologizing for posing with a guy wearing black face. Apparently it's a Dutch Christmas tradition. The local NDP youth is up in arms about it, which I would consider a positive because most of them aren't nearly as well balanced as Hatman or lilTommy.

It's offensive, but only due to it's association with minstrel shows, etc. The NDP in the riding are just playing the political game. But then again, you wouldn't see Peter Stoffer with Black Peter, and he's Dutch too.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies