Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:05:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 257478 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2013, 07:32:44 PM »

Just got back from a Tory event. Our candidate in Halifax West will be seeking the nomination provincially in Timberlea-Prospect, which was an NDP safe seat, but based more on personal votes than demographics. This solves an awkward problem. Dr. Pretty got re-districted out of our riding but wanted to run again federally.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »

What ridiculously high number does EKOS have the Greens at?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »

Who?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »

FYI, orders came down from party headquarters to be ready for the writ to drop by next week. Apparently we're going to have a summer campaign.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »

Baillie says Tories are ready for election call

All but 3 candidates nominated, and the 3 seats left are ones we don't have a hope in hell of winning. Kind of expecting an election call today, but nothing yet. Sad
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2013, 09:10:50 AM »

Is this Red Tories or right wingers pissed about him being insufficiently right wing?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »

Why wasn't Hudak dumped after the last election anyway? This is what I don't understand.

The PC result wasn't good when you consider the lead they had before the campaign and it became about McGuinty Vs Hudak. And from what I gather, voters weren't exactly head-over-heels for Dalton.

Typically in Canada if you pick up the pieces after a landslide defeat you get two kicks at the can. Hudak's predecessor was the exception because he followed up a landslide asskicking.... with another landslide asskicking.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2013, 06:50:11 AM »

Anyways, when is this NS election supposed to  happen? DC, you've given us false information!

Spent the last week running around helping the campaign get ready for an "IMMINENT ELECTION" and all for nothing Tongue

On another note, the Greens are only aiming for a half slate this time around, and the Atlantica Party is aiming to run 5-10 as independents. Also a member of Occupy is running as an independent in my riding... Occupy people really like my neighbourhood for some reason.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2013, 07:24:46 AM »

Soft libertarians. They also want the Atlantic provinces to merge, hence the name.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »

Soft libertarians. They also want the Atlantic provinces to merge, hence the name.

Oh. They shouldn't merge; in fact I would split them up further: Cape Breton and Acadia should become provinces and Labrador should become a territory. Of course, I would split up other provinces too- but that's a different story.

How would you define Acadia?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

Oh. They shouldn't merge; in fact I would split them up further: Cape Breton and Acadia should become provinces and Labrador should become a territory. Of course, I would split up other provinces too- but that's a different story.

How would you define Acadia?

Francophone New Brunswick. It wouldn't exactly be contiguous, mind you- and perhaps parts of Nova Scotia might want to join as well.

Then it'd be really messed up geographically Tongue

I imagine if he wins the election, he'll take take the seat, but it's hardly safe. They couldn't find a Montreal MNA who wants to retire?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »

The 308 has it's Nova Scotia model ready to go. Cheesy

Current Projection:
Liberal: 44.7%, 28 seats
NDP: 25.8%, 13 seats
PC: 25.8%, 10 seats
Green: 3.0%, 0 seats

Roughly what's expected. Also the Liberals will have a b*tch of a time winning a majority if they do much worse than 45%.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »

Just took a look at the seat by seat results. Pretty typical stuff. Liberals gain a lot, NDP lose a lot, Tories gain and lose and basically break even. Personally I think the NDP are too weak in Halifax and too strong in the rural areas, but whatever.

Also the NDP are supposed to win Cumberland North... WTF?!?! It's a safe Tory seat. MLA gets arrested for drunk driving/fleeing the scene of a car crash, runs independently and the right wingers lose on vote splits during a record breaking year for the NDP. Obviously a prime candidate for the NDP to hold when they're sh**tting the bed Roll Eyes

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »

And here's a projection map

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2013, 08:58:53 PM »

I think he used the redistributed by-election results. Inverness would've been much closer if he hadn't.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »

Roughly the same as Rogue Beaver.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »

I'm thinking 60-40 for the pull being plugged in the Spring. What do you guys think about Quebec?

Spring. Liberals wants an election this fall, but, with municipal elections, it's not really possible except in December.

However, I doubt very much than next Marois' budget will pass. So, spring.

Yay, it's been months since I had a good campaign to follow.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »

NS Tories have a new ad running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYHatTTD4o8
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »

Well the separatists have never been known for their competence in economics.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »

It's not as if the Liberals were any better. As least PQ reached balanced budget.

Touche

Lol no, her anti-Anglo pandering is disgusting
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »

If there's one thing the last thirty years of Canadian politics have taught us, it's that there's really, really, really no point in bothering with polls in Canada until an election is actually called.

Sigged
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »

Hatman said that Trudeau's drug use would help him in Quebec.... Rob Ford uses drugs ergo he would be a good Quebec Tory Wink
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »

Bachand will announce his retirement from politics today. No surprise since it was leadership or bust for him. Meanwhile Couillard is planning to raise the QST, which is already the country's highest provincial sales tax at 9.75%. Making the PLQ attempt to out-left the PQ even more laughable. Cause God forbid they cut spending instead of raising taxes.

To be fair, he wants to raise the QST to lower income tax. Obviously, that's an right-wing idea since that will lead the lower and middle classes to pay more tax, while the wealthy will pay less, since QST, like all sales tax, is a flat regressive tax.

FTFY?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »

Question for the dippers out there? How come the CCF/NDP never found the success that their labourist counterparts elsewhere did until 2011? Was the Canadian electorate too right wing, the CCF/NDP too left wing or were the Liberals more competent than their UK counterparts?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »

And much can happen in two years, beyond Mulcair's control. Currently, the Liberals are bouyed by Trudeau's popularity, but that shine may well come off, and there is very little depth beyond the image. A by-election in a Liberal seat, especially one that will be hard to retain (a Goodale retirement, for example) and the media will spin it as the honeymoon being over, and if non-conservative voters get a feel that the NDP has the better chance at forming government, or at least knocking off Harper, the polls will move quickly and there will be the stampede for the exits. That sort of a thing could happen without Mulcair setting the agenda.

Agreed. This would also have the benefit of forcing blue liberals to acknowledge that the NDP might form government which might give the Tories a small boost.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies