Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:36:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 257278 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »

We have nothing to gain attacking Liberals ourselves.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »

We have nothing to gain attacking Liberals ourselves.

In Quebec you do. There's no point of going after the Tories there and they, along with the Bloc will be your main competition for seats.

Quebec is Quebec, it's useless to attack people two years before election. People tend to swing largely on current events, not their first impression of 2 years ago.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »

Remember this when it happens.

I predict a mass exodus of NDP MPs from Quebec to the Liberals under Trudeau, knowing they will not be able to win reelection as NDP candidates in Quebec.

Mark my words.

Liberals are still dead in rural Francophone Quebec and Trudeau isn't a good candidate for those nationalist areas.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »

Remember this when it happens.

I predict a mass exodus of NDP MPs from Quebec to the Liberals under Trudeau, knowing they will not be able to win reelection as NDP candidates in Quebec.

Mark my words.

Liberals are still dead in rural Francophone Quebec and Trudeau isn't a good candidate for those nationalist areas.

MaxQue, what's your guess to how the Quebec vote will split?

No, currently, since I'm waiting to see if the Liberal bounce is a permanent one, or just a "we have a new leader" one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »

Is a Security Council seat worth worrying about?

No, but the fact than Harper is destroying our past excellent international reputation is very worrying.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

Is a Security Council seat worth worrying about?

No, but the fact than Harper is destroying our past excellent international reputation is very worrying.

Cite?

Israel-loving
Copying our foreign policy on US one
Insulting various leftist statemen
Leaving or blatantly refusing to abide by UN conventions

Proof: Canada was crushed when it ran for a seat on security council. You are blind if you don't notice it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »

I'm not talking of those trolls, Smid.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »

QS has a new co-leader, to replace Amir Khadir.

Even through the favorite was Alexandre Leduc, candidate in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve in 2012, it's Andrés Fontecilla, candidate in Laurier-Dorion. The two other candidates were David Fortin-Côté, candidate in Montarville and Yvan Zanetti, candidate in Argenteuil.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »

Former Laval mayor Gilles Vaillancourt has been arrested.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2013, 08:35:34 AM »

UM has almost finished imploding, with a few more councillors becoming independent.

Even the leader will leave.
Depending of the news sources, either 6 of the 15 left or all of them will leave today. For memory, they got 39 seats last election.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »

Former Laval mayor Gilles Vaillancourt has been arrested.

Among other charges, he will be charged for gangsterism, which is quite unusual, it's for criminal groups, usually.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »

Interesting. He is the only Black MLA in the legislature. Interestingly, the Black riding in NS is represented by a white guy.

I wonder if the Liberal MLA said something racist?

Could we be seeing a by-election? Paris won by a lot last time, but I see his riding is historically Tory. Could be a good 3-way fight if there is one.

A lot of the black community in NS is spread out in little villages settled when the Tories fled to Canada after the American Revolution. Preston happens to be the largest of these black communities, but if the riding was just the Preston area, it's population would be outrageously small so the boundary commission tacked on some white exurbs to boost the population. The "black" riding is more like 1/2 black rural village and 1/2 white exurb. Hence the white MLA.

I suspect any by-election will be an NDP-Liberal one. While the Tories have nominated a solid, well-known candidate, they simply haven't recovered enough in the polls to make it a 3 way race.

Yeah, I see that it is historically actually a Liberal-PC riding.

I guess with the Blacks not concentrated enough, that's the reason Dexter got riding of t he Black riding in the latest redistribution?

Yes and no. He also eliminated the 3 Acadian ridings (Argyle, Clare & Richmond). Depending on who you believe it was either because the ridings were too small and didn't represent their intended communities well or because none of those ridings had NDP MLA's Tongue

It's not like if there was Acadians left out of two or three villages. Those ridings were Anglophone and not Acadian.

Earl: Blacks vote Liberals
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »

Even leading by 8, those subsamples aren't good for Liberals. They are just raking votes in seats they already hold. Anyways, government is stable, I don't see CAQ going for an election with those polls.

Does Doug Finlay was of any relation with Diane Finlay, MP for Haldimand-Norfolk?

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »

It's ridiculous. Rob Ford has many faults, but I don't think he is a crack addict, of all things.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »

I'll rather not comment.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »

Why, because he's a turncoat, or because him stalling constitutional talks?

Let's remember you I come a quite nationalist area and than the guy is hated for Meech. Less than Clyde Wells, through.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »

Harper was usually good in damage control, but he totally dropped it on Senate things.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »

Talking of Ford, Americans media decided to go on his case and list all the dumb/wierd/bad/whatever he ever said or done.

That's impressive!
Hopefully, Olivia Chow puts him outside of the city hall soon, but he is doing that alone right now, like a big boy.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »

Also, the executive council of Toronto, appointed by the mayor doesn't seem to support him anymore.

And Tyrone Benskin (NDP, Jeanne-Le Ber) was excluded from shadow cabinet after Mulcair learned in news than he didn't pay his provincial taxes between 2007 and 2011. He blamed it on being an artist and having no money to pay.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »

Also, the executive council of Toronto, appointed by the mayor doesn't seem to support him anymore.

And Tyrone Benskin (NDP, Jeanne-Le Ber) was excluded from shadow cabinet after Mulcair learned in news than he didn't pay his provincial taxes between 2007 and 2011. He blamed it on being an artist and having no money to pay.

Dude, come on. All the poors in regular jobs managed to to pay their taxes and survive.

I only report what he said, it's not my opinion.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2013, 12:06:38 AM »

Been suspended because they lost contact with the dealer.

Aka, there's a fairly decent chance the tape never existed.

So then what would be the point of it? They're not getting any money from it. The link mentions some have already seen it, including journalists to verify it's real. Maybe the guy who had it got scared off.

"Mayor Smoking Crack" tends to sell newspapers. The Star is not known for being sympathetic to right wingers. I would expect similar scepticism if Fox said they saw a video of Obama smoking crack. I think this is a case of wishful thinking on the Star's part.

Sure, and the left-wing Globe and Mail invented the drug dealing history of his family.
At best, he is a drunkard, and he stills needs help.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »

Gawker hit it's goal even though they've lost contact with the dealer.

And maybe the dealer who has the phone obtained it by killing the original owner, or so is the current rumors.  Toronto police seem to be involved in the hunt now.

Doesn't the money will be given to a drug addiction center/charity in Toronto area, then?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2013, 11:13:23 PM »

Does filling Quebec tax forms is that difficult?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »

Talking of that, can he win an election as an independant?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:28 PM »

Strong numbers for the NB NDP as well. CRA should be releasing their NS poll soon Smiley

LOL at those PC numbers.

I'm dreading the NS ones Sad

If it makes you feel any better, all three parties in NS are self interested parochial outfits anyways Tongue

As I once said, NS NDP is center-center-left, NS Libs are center-center-center and NS PC are center-center-right.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies