Attitudes towards a woman President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:06:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Attitudes towards a woman President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which best describes your attitude towards a woman President?
It would be beneficial for society to have a woman President provided she agreed with my views

I'd vote for my party/ideology's candidate and it doesn't matter what gender they are

I'd vote for a woman President who shared my views, but am uncomfortable with the idea of a woman President

I would never vote for a woman President

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Attitudes towards a woman President  (Read 10608 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2005, 03:42:18 AM »

Option 5

I would vote for who I regard to be the most qualified and shares my views.  That holds regardless of whether they are Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Man, Woman, Streight or Gay.  I would never vote for some simply because they are one of those, because it would be another form of Affirmative Action, which is never beneficial to society.  In the 2000 primary, that candidate for me was Elizabeth Dole, until she dropped out.

You know, for your being my mirror image in the Political Compass, we sure seem to agree on a lot. Wink
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2005, 03:46:59 AM »

I read an article that said their periods attract bears!  The bears can smell the menstruation!

-- Brick Tamland in "Anchorman"
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2005, 04:15:36 AM »

Depends. If the election was about trust, I lean to women. If it was about leading, I trust the man. Option 2 for me.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2005, 08:20:50 PM »

option 2.

gender's a total non-issue for me. The only reason I'd be more inclined to support someone because of their gender is if it was a woman like Stephanie Herseth and really hot.
Pig! Tongue
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2005, 09:08:54 PM »

I would vote for a woman for President if she shared my political views. I feel gender is no true issue.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2005, 09:33:54 PM »

I would vote for a woman. However I must admit unfortunatly something doesn't sit right with me about having a woman for a president...
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2005, 11:08:50 PM »

I'd have to REALLY agree with her views. Somebody like Landrieu, Lincoln, or Collins I could definitely vote for (realistic candidates).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2005, 11:32:19 PM »

Option 5

I would vote for who I regard to be the most qualified and shares my views.  That holds regardless of whether they are Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Man, Woman, Streight or Gay.  I would never vote for some simply because they are one of those, because it would be another form of Affirmative Action, which is never beneficial to society.  In the 2000 primary, that candidate for me was Elizabeth Dole, until she dropped out.

You know, for your being my mirror image in the Political Compass, we sure seem to agree on a lot. Wink

The mirror image of a moderate is... a moderate.  Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2005, 12:49:47 PM »

Option 2

Dave
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2005, 01:18:56 PM »

Option 5

The mirror image of a moderate is... a moderate.  Smiley

you're not a moderate. You like Ann Coulter and Henry Kissinger.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2005, 06:51:39 PM »

Same here I would be scared that someone will try to kill her when is is in office
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2005, 08:13:58 PM »

If she had proven herself a capable leader with integrity, why would people be so nervous about a woman president? I just don't understand it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2005, 02:35:27 AM »

who cares?

if anything, i might lean slightly towards voting for a woman because I know she'd lose anyway, so sorta a sympathy vote Tongue
GLOBAL DICTATOR
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2005, 09:15:45 PM »

Doubtful I would vote for a woman to be commander in chief of the armed forces, but I would if she was the most qualified candidate (likely by virtue of all the other ones sucking).
You're Not an Idiot!Not in this case anyway. I agree with you here.  A woman should never be President of the United States of America. Tradition does count for something. They also shouldn't be preachers/ministers.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2005, 11:16:02 PM »

Doubtful I would vote for a woman to be commander in chief of the armed forces, but I would if she was the most qualified candidate (likely by virtue of all the other ones sucking).
You're Not an Idiot!Not in this case anyway. I agree with you here.  A woman should never be President of the United States of America. Tradition does count for something. They also shouldn't be preachers/ministers.

Very few Presidents have been preachers/ministers.  I'm not seeing a relationship here.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2005, 11:18:14 PM »

Uh, "tradition"? All presidents have also had blue eyes. Does that mean we should never elected a brown-eyed president?

Tradition counts for something, but tradition is not an excuse to never change. Tradition is simply a blockade when it interferes with progress.
GLOBAL DICTATOR
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2005, 11:22:04 PM »

Uh, "tradition"? All presidents have also had blue eyes. Does that mean we should never elected a brown-eyed president?

Tradition counts for something, but tradition is not an excuse to never change. Tradition is simply a blockade when it interferes with progress.
Progress is not having a woman President.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2005, 11:25:28 PM »

Actually, by definition, progress means "going forwards." That would be changing nothing, so it wouldn't be progress.

Why is not electing women a tradition? It just has not happen. By that argument, slavery was a tradition, as was the feeding of Christians to lions.

Behind quoting the Bible to tell someone they are wrong, saying "we shouldn't do that because we have not done it before" is my least favorite argument for anything.
GLOBAL DICTATOR
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2005, 11:26:10 PM »

Very few Presidents have been preachers/ministers.  I'm not seeing a relationship here.
O.K., It's time to learn how to read.

I said that women should also not be preachers/ministers. I never said that any of our Presidents have been Preachers/Ministers. You weren't suppose to see any correlation, because no inference to any relationship between the 2 occupations was made.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2005, 11:26:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nobody is saying that.  There are, however, some excellent people that would make good president that happen to be women.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2005, 11:27:08 PM »

Actually, by definition, progress means "going forwards." That would be changing nothing, so it wouldn't be progress.

Why is not electing women a tradition? It just has not happen. By that argument, slavery was a tradition, as was the feeding of Christians to lions.

Behind quoting the Bible to tell someone they are wrong, saying "we shouldn't do that because we have not done it before" is my least favorite argument for anything.

In the beginning of human life (or in the Garden of Eden, if you like), humans did nothing.

By the logic of "tradition is best", we should just sit here, doing absolutely nothing, because anything else would not be adhering to tradition.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2005, 11:28:06 PM »

I said that women should also not be preachers/ministers. I never said that any of our Presidents have been Preachers/Ministers. You weren't suppose to see any correlation, because no inference to any relationship between the 2 occupations was made.

Then why mention them? 

BTW:  I woundn't vote for my priest for President.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2005, 11:35:56 PM »

I'm not a sexist, but at this day and age, I probably wouldnt vote for a woman for President, no matter what party.
GLOBAL DICTATOR
Rookie

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2005, 11:36:13 PM »

Then why mention them? 

BTW:  I woundn't vote for my priest for President.
ARE YOU REALLY PHILIP IN DISGUISE? Cause you sure lack comprehension, like he does. 
I mentioned the Priesthood because in my opinion, women should not be allowed to hold certain positions, the Presidency and the Priesthood are two of those positions that they should not ever be allowed to  hold. There are other occupations they shouldn't hold as well.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2005, 11:37:58 PM »

I'm not a sexist, but at this day and age, I probably wouldnt vote for a woman for President, no matter what party.

sex·ism
n.

1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

Given that you're clearly making a distinction based on gender, I would say that it technically certainly is a sexist thing to say.

Now, whether or not that's a bad thing in this case is in debate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies