Most liberal major city on the East Coast?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:09:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most liberal major city on the East Coast?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most liberal major city on the East Coast?  (Read 17885 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
« edited: December 30, 2011, 07:26:47 PM by Kevin »

What's the most liberal major city on the East Coast. I know out west it's ususally considered San Fransico, but it's prob tied with several other California cities of considerable size.

On the East Coast you seem to have less clear cut destenctions but I would have to say even comparing it to other cities throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. The most liberal city here would be Washington DC in my opinion.

DC is majority Black like alot of other major cities, which in it's self despite making it soildly Democratic doesn't really make it that liberal overall. However, Wash DC also has a 35-40% white population(that resides there and doesn't commute) that is extremely afflunt and liberal in general. DC it's self unlike many other major urban areas on the east coast seems to lack a white working population that is tradtionally Democratic but socially conservative, most of these left due to white flight.

The city it's self is also bordered to the North by surburban Maryland, includes Montgomery County, which is ranked as one of the top 5 most liberal counties in the nation. And on the VA side, Arlington amongst others prob the most liberal part of the state. Areas like these swell DC with commuters during the week since most of the people that live there work govt jobs in the city.

That's my own personal opinion though, but what is the most liberal city on the east coast?
Lucius Quintus Cincinatus Lamar
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: 4.00

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »

Of the towns on the east coast where I have spent a good deal of time, I'd say Boston.  DC may be correct, but I've only been there a couple of times over a decade ago, and was only there in a tourist capacity.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »

How big is "major?"
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »

I'd say 500,000+ plus

DC may not be that big in terms of pop but it does qualify since it's the nation's capital.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:18:10 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2011, 04:21:15 AM by RomneyGekko Situation Hairgel »

Boston followed by DC.  Boston is more academic with its many universities and not as militarily inclined as the DC Metro Area with Ft. Belvoir and the many military contractors.  As for the rest I'd say its a tough call between New York and Philadelphia.  I sense more "law and order" conservatism in both cities as opposed to DC and Boston and more racial tension.  I'm not sure where Baltimore would fit in, but I'd imagine its close to Philadelphia.  I'd probably put Baltimore and Philadelphia as the 2 most conservative because they are the most shall I say "Rust Belt"-like in the NE Corridor.
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »

DC.  Maybe Boston if you count Cambridge as part of Boston but don't count Bethesda et al as part of DC.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »

Jacksonville Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2012, 05:54:30 PM by Steve French »

I would say...

"East Coast"

"Major City" is any city over 250,000 that is the largest city in a Metro of more than a 1,000,000 people.

Washington, D.C.
Boston
Baltimore
New York
Cleveland
Atlanta
Detroit
Philadelphia
Charolette
Raleigh-Durham
Richmond
Pittsburgh
Orlando
Columbus
Miami
Buffalo
Tampa
Cincinatti
Virginia Beach
Jacksonville
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 03:53:53 AM »

It's hard to think of Boston as a particularly liberal place.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:10 AM »

Boston
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »

It's hard to think of Boston as a particularly liberal place.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »

Obviously depends how you define "liberal." If it's which one wants the most gov't spending for jobs, it's going to be DC.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »

Boston is the most liberal urban area but it's definitely not the most liberal city proper. I think that would be DC, followed, perhaps rather distantly, by New York.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »

Obviously depends how you define "liberal." If it's which one wants the most gov't spending for jobs, it's going to be DC.

That would be a very stupid way to define it, though.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 09:42:22 PM »

D.C.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »

No. It's not D.C.

As a resident of this area I can assure you are way off base, there is a lot of misinformation here. I assume you are talking about the metropolitan area and not just the city itself. Yes, it lacks a white working class population that is traditionally Democratic but socially conservative, however it does have a black working class population that is traditionally Democratic but socially conservative. There's a reason Maryland has no gay marriage while New York does, Maryland has no assault weapons ban, and the death penalty is still alive in Maryland, despite big Democratic majorities in the state legislature, and a Democratic governor who takes the liberal position on all of those issues. And that's on the Maryland side.

Yes, there's a large Federal workforce, but a big reason for that is the Pentagon and the military-industrial-intelligence-homelandsecurity-complex. That tends to attract conservative military types. Just because Northern Virginia voted for Obama that doesn't make it liberal. It also voted for Bob McDonnell. When Sarah Palin showed up in Fairfax county in 2008, 20,000 people showed up to hear her. Conservative Republicans are still quite competitive in the area.

I would say New York and Boston are more liberal than D.C.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »

Boston gets my vote
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 12:07:29 PM »

Boston
HST1948

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »

If you're going on all around liberalism (both economics and social issues) I would say Boston. It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that DC is far more "populist" than any of the other North Eastern/ Mid-Atlantic metropolises. 
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »

Definitely Boston.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »

No. It's not D.C.

As a resident of this area I can assure you are way off base, there is a lot of misinformation here. I assume you are talking about the metropolitan area and not just the city itself. Yes, it lacks a white working class population that is traditionally Democratic but socially conservative, however it does have a black working class population that is traditionally Democratic but socially conservative. There's a reason Maryland has no gay marriage while New York does, Maryland has no assault weapons ban, and the death penalty is still alive in Maryland, despite big Democratic majorities in the state legislature, and a Democratic governor who takes the liberal position on all of those issues. And that's on the Maryland side.

Yes, there's a large Federal workforce, but a big reason for that is the Pentagon and the military-industrial-intelligence-homelandsecurity-complex. That tends to attract conservative military types. Just because Northern Virginia voted for Obama that doesn't make it liberal. It also voted for Bob McDonnell. When Sarah Palin showed up in Fairfax county in 2008, 20,000 people showed up to hear her. Conservative Republicans are still quite competitive in the area.

I would say New York and Boston are more liberal than D.C.

You sure not DC proper?  Boston has Southie which from what I've seen is quite Irish Catholic and socially conservative.  If you count Cambridge then I'd go Boston too.  Metro area, I'd agree with your assessment.  In fact PG County, Maryland has a lot of religious African Americans.  And Northern VA.. well it has its socially liberal parts.  But like you said I've seen social/military conservatism there definitely.  It actually surprises me Fairfax voted for Obama.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »

San Francisco was Obama's 20th best city in California, his 15th best in coastal northern California,  and his 13th best in the San Francisco bay area.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 06:54:03 PM »

San Francisco was Obama's 20th best city in California, his 15th best in coastal northern California,  and his 13th best in the San Francisco bay area.

Yes, but that's using a rather loose definition of "city".
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »

I would say...

"East Coast"

"Major City" is any city over 250,000 that is the largest city in a Metro of more than a 1,000,000 people.

Washington, D.C.
Boston
Baltimore
New York
Cleveland
Atlanta
Detroit
Philadelphia
Charolette
Raleigh-Durham
Richmond
Pittsburgh
Orlando
Columbus
Miami
Buffalo
Tampa
Cincinatti
Virginia Beach
Jacksonville

How is Cincinatti  an East Coast city but not Buffalo? Better yet, whu are Ohio and Michigan East Coast states?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 05:42:04 AM »

Buffalo is on that list.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: