If Ford won in 76, would Ted Kennedy have won in 80? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:16:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Ford won in 76, would Ted Kennedy have won in 80? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Ford won in 76, would Ted Kennedy have won in 80?  (Read 3230 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 27, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »

On the Hart issue, for one in 1980 he was a one-termed seeking re-election. Secondly, his scadal(s) didn't come out until '87/'88 so there's a chance that might not be an issue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:00:31 PM »

If Gerry means Gerald Ford, then I'd beg to differ. They were ideologically close together & both were moderate. However, by 1976, Ford had steadied himself & was becoming much tougher with the Soviets. Carter still had his two years of naïveté ahead of him before he became tougher on the foreign front. Economically & socially, they were roughly in the same boat & were the two most fiscally conservative administrations up until Clinton.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »

Well you were just saying that Carter was more Cpbservative than Ford, & that Reagan wasn't a real Conservative.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »

With Ford in the White House, and thus continuing detente, I'd say a hawkish Democrat would win in 1980.

Henry Martin Jackson.

That is tricky. By 1976, Ford had definitely gained more teeth in foreign policy and by then had booted Kissinger out of NSA and had brought in Rumsfeld--definitely more hawkish that "realist" Kissinger--as Secretary of Defense. I think in foreign policy Ford would move steadily to the Right during his hypothetical second term.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:55:42 PM »

A Reagan/Kennedy smackdown would be the ultimate slugfest of alternate historians dreams.

Being a Kennedy, I think Ted would have had a good chance of becoming president.
You're a Kennedy?  How are you related (not to be a stalker or anything, but that's pretty cool Wink.)  Not to go off topic, but my dad once crashed a fundraiser of his when he was in MA (I think it was when he was running against romney in 94.)

He's talking about Ted being a Kennedy (I think). Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies