Ron Paul's newsletter gems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:11:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ron Paul's newsletter gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ron Paul's newsletter gems  (Read 7501 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »

Even if Ron Paul isn't a racist. He is certainly the top choice of white supremacists and anti-Zionists. And he refuses to reject their support.

Anti-Zionism isn't a bad thing, bro.  It's not the same thing as antisemitism.

The problem is that anti-zionism is used by many as a cover for their underlying anti-semitism. I don't know what exactly is going on in Ron Paul's mind, though.

Lolno
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »

Even if Ron Paul isn't a racist. He is certainly the top choice of white supremacists and anti-Zionists. And he refuses to reject their support.

The problem is that anti-zionism is used by many as a cover for their underlying anti-semitism. I don't know what exactly is going on in Ron Paul's mind, though.

Lolno
What exactly is anti-zionism? Is it the belief that Israel should not exist, or is it the belief that Israel should return to pre-1967 borders?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »

Lolno

Indeed, I believe that the almost pathological obsession many Israel bashers have with that tiny country is probably rooted in antisemitism. Anti-zionism is not anti-semitism per se, but in many cases these two concepts go hand in hand. (and for the record: I interpret anti-zionism = Israel should not exist)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »

Lolno
What exactly is anti-zionism? Is it the belief that Israel should not exist, or is it the belief that Israel should return to pre-1967 borders?

Generally opposition to zionism -- the idea that the Jews should have their own theocratic little reich.  As there are Jews who are anti-zionist, to say anti-zionism is antisemitic is dildos.

Lolno

Indeed, I believe that the almost pathological obsession many Israel bashers have with that tiny country is probably rooted in antisemitism. Anti-zionism is not anti-semitism per se, but in many cases these two concepts go hand in hand. (and for the record: I interpret anti-zionism = Israel should not exist)

It's more likely rooted in the fact that Israel is an apartheid state.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »

Lolno

Generally opposition to zionism -- the idea that the Jews should have their own theocratic little reich.  As there are Jews who are anti-zionist, to say anti-zionism is antisemitic is dildos.

Lolno

Well, I mean, do anti-zionists not believe that Israel should exist, or should they just reform their laws? You could say the same thing about a lot of Arab countries. Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria and maybe Turkey (what with the Kurds) are all good examples of "apartheid states"
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »

Lolno

Lolno

Well, I mean, do anti-zionists not believe that Israel should exist, or should they just reform their laws? You could say the same thing about a lot of Arab countries. Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria and maybe Turkey (what with the Kurds) are all good examples of "apartheid states"

Not sure.  But when most people say Israel shouldn't exist, they don't mean the nation should be destroyed.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »

Anti-Zionism means a lot of things to different people, but the purest definition would be along the lines of this:

A rejection of the idea that a Jewish state, by and for Jews, should exist, and non-Jews living in that state have unequal rights.

By that definition, I'm somewhat anti-Zionist - and I've been to Israel, and loved it there.  Great, friendly people.  But they really need to stop d*cking over the Palestinians, and believe the ideal solution is a state that wholly recognizes the rights of its minority populations (Arab Christians, Arab Muslims, Druze, hell, even Ethiopian Jews).

That said, Israel really needs to solve its ultra-orthodox problem.  Everything else is tied up in that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 05:35:58 PM »

Before we delve too far into the distinctions between anti-Zionism and anti-semitism (probably too late), let's just note that Likely Voter's could've and should've more accurately stated that, even if not one himself, Paul is clearly the top choice for white supremacists and anti-semites. Particularly those type of of the latter who try passing their bigotry off as mere opposition to Likud Party foreign policy.

Those quotes in the newsletter (and other ones not included in this collection) have little to do with US policy towards Israel so much as they address "The Jewish Question".
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »

Anti-Zionism means a lot of things to different people, but the purest definition would be along the lines of this:

A rejection of the idea that a Jewish state, by and for Jews, should exist, and non-Jews living in that state have unequal rights.

By that definition, I'm somewhat anti-Zionist - and I've been to Israel, and loved it there.  Great, friendly people.  But they really need to stop d*cking over the Palestinians, and believe the ideal solution is a state that wholly recognizes the rights of its minority populations (Arab Christians, Arab Muslims, Druze, hell, even Ethiopian Jews).

That said, Israel really needs to solve its ultra-orthodox problem.  Everything else is tied up in that.
I'm a Jew, and I support this. They should put aside hate, and solve their problems by compromising. Both Israel and Palestine have faults. But both sides should agree to a two-state solution, Israel and Palestine. The Israeli and the Palestinian people need to vote the current anti-peace extremists in power, and vote in a Sadat for the Palestinians and a Rabin or Begin for the Israelis.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 05:55:39 PM »

At the risk of repeating myself, the issue with the newsletter quotes and nuts around Paul ISN'T about opposing unquestioning support of Isreal over the Palestinians, but rather that these types segue directly into "Jewish Cabal" conspiracy theories and the like.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »

At the risk of repeating myself, the issue with the newsletter quotes and nuts around Paul ISN'T about opposing unquestioning support of Isreal over the Palestinians, but rather that these types segue directly into "Jewish Cabal" conspiracy theories and the like.

FWIW, I generally agree (to the extent that one can agree with such a vague assertion) and wish Paul would not call out these sorts as his allies.  The libertarian message does not need wingnut zealots - more to the point, it needs to move away from them to be successful.

There are too many paleocons, single issue libertarians, eccentrics, etc. in the libertarian timeline.  Mainstream libertarianism is a strong possibility but it needs to move away from the tinfoil hat brigades.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »

Sorry for the semantic (Semitic?) distraction.

Lets just say that if you are holed up in a cabin full of guns looking for black helicopters, or if you rail against the "jewish banking cartel" in control of the world or if you are in a militia training to fight "the beast" government or if you worry about the "mixing of the races"...then you might be a redneck Paul supporter
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »

Lets just say that if you are holed up in a cabin full of guns looking for black helicopters, or if you rail against the "jewish banking cartel" in control of the world or if you are in a militia training to fight "the beast" government or if you worry about the "mixing of the races"...then you might be a redneck Paul supporter

Sure, but that's about as valid as criticizing Obama because Nation of Islam folks liked him.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2011, 02:27:44 AM »

Anti-semitism has a long and disgraceful history in Europe, but it is fundamentally a European (and, by extension, North American) phenomenon. Anti-Zionism comes from a different place; it may draw from and approach anti-semitism at times, but it is fundamentally separate.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's actually pretty good advice Grin.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2011, 09:27:20 AM »

Sure, but that's about as valid as criticizing Obama because Nation of Islam folks liked him.

No, that'd be just as valid if Obama had so many NoI-types in his organization's orbit that they "ghostwrote" articles in his newsletter.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »

No, that'd be just as valid if Obama had so many NoI-types in his organization's orbit that they "ghostwrote" articles in his newsletter.

Obama had a newsletter?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »

Obama had a newsletter?

Look about 1000 yards from where you were aiming; you'll find the point you missed over there.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 05:56:53 PM »

Obama had a newsletter?

Look about 1000 yards from where you were aiming; you'll find the point you missed over there.

Hardly; its a legitimate point.

Ron Paul's newsletter published several thousand (IIRC) issues, and when the racist ones came out (keep in mind, there were maybe 6 of them out of hundreds published at the time) Paul was busy practicing medicine, having given up on the American electoral system. It was more of a libertarian/paleo-conservative newsletter than a Paul newsletter at that point.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »

He's an elderly white guy from a suburb near Houston.

For those who don't follow, I could perhaps draw a diagram.

Surfside Beach is not a suburb.  If 50 miles from Houston is near Houston, that's news to me.

Place stick to comedy and away from Texas geography.  Thank you.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2011, 12:18:58 AM by Sam Spade »

For those who believe that Ron Paul was not heavily involved in his newsletters, please stop denying history.  I knew all about these in the late 1990s living in Texas, and he was very much involved.

Of course, I understand why he's denying it now - after all Ron Paul is a politician.  Not that there wasn't (and still isn't) a certain amount of truth in some of the articles and quotes, mind you, but we'll, it isn't polite to say so in mixed company nowadays.

EDIT: I will still be supporting Ron Paul for the primary, irregardless of this, even though his flaws are incredibly numerous, because his candidacy represents something the Republican party needs to address if they want to rebuild themselves, and this is not in the way most people want to recognize.  Needless to say, it is also highly unlikely that a Republican party nominee will get my vote this year.  Obama certainly won't get my vote either, as you'd need to lack a brain to seriously support him (as opposed to voting strategically in the hope of planting seeds to destroy the left - note the difference), so you can imagine what I'm up to.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »

Ron Paul's newsletter published several thousand (IIRC) issues, and when the racist ones came out (keep in mind, there were maybe 6 of them out of hundreds published at the time) Paul was busy practicing medicine, having given up on the American electoral system. It was more of a libertarian/paleo-conservative newsletter than a Paul newsletter at that point.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »

For those who believe that Ron Paul was not heavily involved in his newsletters, please stop denying history.  I knew all about these in the late 1990s living in Texas, and he was very much involved.

Of course, I understand why he's denying it now - after all Ron Paul is a politician.  Not that there wasn't (and still isn't) a certain amount of truth in some of the articles and quotes, mind you, but we'll, it isn't polite to say so in mixed company nowadays.

Stay classy, Sam.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sure the left trembles at your cunning machinations, "irregardless" of most of us apparently lacking a brain.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies