2011 White Christmas forecast thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:52:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2011 White Christmas forecast thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2011 White Christmas forecast thread  (Read 5043 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »

]I know I won't have a White Christmas, and I never will unless I move someplace else.

It could happen.  Stranger things have happened meteorologically.

Nah.  We never get the sustained cold that would be needed beforehand to let the stuff stick until January.  While a Christmas flurry could conceivably happen here, a White Christmas with frozen precipitation on the ground cannot happen in the Midlands. (Midlands of South Carolina I clarify for our British brethren.)

That's simply not true.  All you'd have to have is the right pattern to get it to happen.  I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but it could happen.

And in theory it could snow in July, but it won't.  Tell you what Inks, I'll bet you 10,000 that I will not experience a White Christmas during the next 9 years, 9 months, 9 days. (That's a 10,000 bet over 9-9-9.)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »

How a green Chirstmas feels like? Never had one and doubt I'll ever have one.

Will you be going up into the northlands for Christmas? Because Montreal may have a green Xmas this year.

Yes. And yes, I know Montreal can have one, there is still no snow on ground (there was for entire last week, but that melted with the heavy rain on Thursday).
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »

I've only ever seen a White Christmas once, the Great Blizzard of 2009. Of course, every state other than Hawaii had a White Christmas that year.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 04:44:32 AM »

Montreal?

I'll be out of town for Christmas (thankfully).

5%
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 04:46:28 AM »

]I know I won't have a White Christmas, and I never will unless I move someplace else.

Nah.  We never get the sustained cold that would be needed beforehand to let the stuff stick until January.  While a Christmas flurry could conceivably happen here, a White Christmas with frozen precipitation on the ground cannot happen in the Midlands. (Midlands of South Carolina I clarify for our British brethren.)

That's simply not true.  All you'd have to have is the right pattern to get it to happen.  I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but it could happen.

And in theory it could snow in July, but it won't.  Tell you what Inks, I'll bet you 10,000 that I will not experience a White Christmas during the next 9 years, 9 months, 9 days. (That's a 10,000 bet over 9-9-9.)

But it's a lot more likely to happen in December.  Happening in January, you'd have to have a crazy system, not just out of the ordinary.

And where in South Carolina are you?  Apparently portions of SC have had white Christmases in 2010 and 1963: http://www2.counton2.com/news/2010/dec/25/first-white-christmas-nearly-50-years-portions-sou-ar-1264706/
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 04:47:35 AM »

Zurich, Switzerland, please. If you cover this part of Europe. Tongue

.0000000000001%

I don't often cover Europe, so my forecasts there aren't so great, but it's pretty clear in this case you won't be nearly cold enough.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 04:54:50 AM »

Las Vegas, NV.  Grin

There was a rare "heavy" snowfall in mid-December '08 actually, though it was gone by Christmas.  The peaks of the mountains surrounding the valley are usually snow-covered most of the winter.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 05:16:44 AM »

Las Vegas, NV.  Grin

There was a rare "heavy" snowfall in mid-December '08 actually, though it was gone by Christmas.  The peaks of the mountains surrounding the valley are usually snow-covered most of the winter.

0% Wink
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 05:23:26 AM »

Toronto, uptown (Pearson Airport, not downtown)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »

Zurich, Switzerland, please. If you cover this part of Europe. Tongue

.0000000000001%

I don't often cover Europe, so my forecasts there aren't so great, but it's pretty clear in this case you won't be nearly cold enough.

Sad There was some snow yesterday and today so I hoped there was a chance for white Christmas.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 10:28:26 PM »

37% according to Environment Canada
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 10:31:28 PM »

According to this evening's 7-day forecast, there is a 40% probability of light snow Friday Evening, Christmas Eve, Eve with a high of 30 and lows near 20.  It's only supposed to warm to the middle 30s Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »

But it's a lot more likely to happen in December.  Happening in January, you'd have to have a crazy system, not just out of the ordinary.

And where in South Carolina are you?  Apparently portions of SC have had white Christmases in 2010 and 1963: http://www2.counton2.com/news/2010/dec/25/first-white-christmas-nearly-50-years-portions-sou-ar-1264706/

As you quoted, I live in the Midlands.  The Upstate, with a degree more northerly latitude and higher elevations gets significantly more wintry precipitation than the Midlands does.  I got cold rain for Xmas last year, not snow.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

In case you haven't addressed Michigan yet, feel free to do so. I'm getting worried about the chances for snow around these parts. Specifically, Waterford Township, Clarkston, and Davisburg would be nice. All located in South-Eastern Michigan.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 02:09:54 AM »

Will there be snow visible from the Santa Clara Valley?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 02:12:17 AM »

There's now about a 100% chance of White Christmas here.

It recently snowed and we have about 10 inches here.

And more snow is predicted for the whole week.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 03:59:41 AM »

.0000000000000001%
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 04:02:07 AM »

Environment Canada is on crack if they think that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 04:03:06 AM »

As you quoted, I live in the Midlands.  The Upstate, with a degree more northerly latitude and higher elevations gets significantly more wintry precipitation than the Midlands does.  I got cold rain for Xmas last year, not snow.

Ahh ok, I wasn't sure of exactly where you were talking about.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 04:05:16 AM »

In case you haven't addressed Michigan yet, feel free to do so. I'm getting worried about the chances for snow around these parts. Specifically, Waterford Township, Clarkston, and Davisburg would be nice. All located in South-Eastern Michigan.

.000000000000000000001% - it's not gonna happen.  We didn't get enough cold air.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 04:09:34 AM »

Will there be snow visible from the Santa Clara Valley?

I know little about the mountains in the area or how high they are, but I believe they're not too tall really, so I'd say it's not likely.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »

.000000000000000000001% - it's not gonna happen.  We didn't get enough cold air.

Dammit! Angry
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies