Why doesn't the GOP establishment spill the dirt on Newt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:44:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why doesn't the GOP establishment spill the dirt on Newt?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why doesn't the GOP establishment spill the dirt on Newt?  (Read 1522 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »

if the GOP establishment is so sure Newt is going to lose in the general, then why doesn't the GOP establishment spill the dirt on Newt...if there is unknown dirt to spill?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »

if the GOP establishment is so sure Newt is going to lose in the general, then why doesn't the GOP establishment spill the dirt on Newt...if there is unknown dirt to spill?

The dirt is all out there, they'll just throw it out in the GE for recycling to voters who might not remember his baggage-laden, sleazy past.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »

The dirt is all out there, they'll just throw it out in the GE for recycling to voters who might not remember his baggage-laden, sleazy past.

well, if the dirt is already publically known, then there is NO REASON to believe Mitt would perform better over the next 11 months than Newt.  Mitt is a TERRIBLE candidate for 2012.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »

well, if the dirt is already publically known, then there is NO REASON to believe Mitt would perform better over the next 11 months than Newt.  Mitt is a TERRIBLE candidate for 2012.

Oh come on dude, I agree with you that he is unsuitable with the Born-again base in your party, but he's not terrible in the general election.  The only downside to his momonism is in the born-again states, and they're all going GOP anyway.  Certainly his 'competent moderate' schtick is better for the 'independent voters' than the extremist-madman schtick of Gingrich when people are feeling unsure..  that is unless we've gotten so bad that its 1933.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »

To say that the average voter recalls everything about Newt that is "already out there" overstates their interest. Certainly those kinds of people who are political junkies and like to hack for a candidate have already made their choice. Most Republicans- in fact most voters- don't have to finalize their choice right now and don't need to know everything. They will start tuning in sometime after Iowa (before if they live in Iowa.) Only then- soon before they have to vote- will most primary voters really process the pros and cons of each candidate still running. The establishment will be reminding them of all Newt's baggage, just as others will talk about how Romney's boring, insincere, and not conservative enough.

Voter interest hasn't peaked yet; there's still plenty of time for the man to villify the grinch.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »

It's because Newt is one of them. He's establishment.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »

^^^^^^^^^
I don't know how you can get any more "establishment" than former Speaker of the House. At the end of the day, everybody in the GOP has to support whoever the nominee is. They don't need any more youtube/Jon Stewart videos of them denouncing Newt once we get into the general.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »

^^^^^^^^^
I don't know how you can get any more "establishment" than former Speaker of the House. At the end of the day, everybody in the GOP has to support whoever the nominee is. They don't need any more youtube/Jon Stewart videos of them denouncing Newt once we get into the general.

Basically:

1) Romney is overrated. He looks great on paper but isn't that good a candidate in reality.

2) Newt is the establishment. He's the former speaker of the house for God's sake!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »

Newt was the establishment. Almost all of power players in the GOP today can't stand the guy.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »

Newt is the establishment. He's the former speaker of the house for God's sake!

no, he used to be establishment.

IIRC, Bush41 broke faith with the GOP base when he raised taxes after promising in 1988 not to do so...in 1994, Newt promised to bring all 10 points of the Contract with America to a vote within the first 100 days...and he did just that.  He kept his word.

Newt, despite all his personal flaws and personal failures, represents someone who a proven track record of keeping his word to the jmfcsts.  And, as a former central member of the past establishment, he knows how DC works.  And he has learned from his past mistakes of pushing too hard for things that are not politically possible.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »

I think the establishment is being cautious in case Gingrich gets nominated and it is a good idea. After all it is Reagan who said to never criticize a fellow Republican.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 05:44:48 PM »

I think the establishment is being cautious in case Gingrich gets nominated and it is a good idea. After all it is Reagan who said to never criticize a fellow Republican.

well, if they know of a fatal flaw then it is their duty to come forth now and not wait for general....now is the time to speak now, right now, or forever hold your peace...cause this coronation is about to take place.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »

I don't support Mitt or Newt, but Mitt is a not as bad candidate than Gingrich.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »

Mitt's a horrible candidate - other than the dust up with Perry, Mitt hasn't said a single memorable thing in over 6 years of running for POTUS.  He's like a dog who thinks he's going to pull one over on you if he moves slow enough, even though you are looking right at him.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »

Mitt's a horrible candidate - other than the dust up with Perry, Mitt hasn't said a single memorable thing in over 6 years of running for POTUS.  He's like a dog who thinks he's going to pull one over on you if he moves slow enough, even though you are looking right at him.

Right. Newt is still worse. He is a horse you will regret backing.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 11:52:14 AM »

All in good time. There is still the hope that Newt will sabotage himself rather than taint the Republican brand by forcing the removal of old scabs...
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »

All in good time. There is still the hope that Newt will sabotage himself rather than taint the Republican brand by forcing the removal of old scabs...

unless you can find new dirt within the last 10 years (of whatever time period Newt is claiming he has been redeemed by Christ), it will only legitimise Newt's redemption.

the jmfcsts aren't concerned with the kind of life Newt lived prior to coming to Christ, for all of that is under the blood of Christ.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »

unless you can find new dirt within the last 10 years (of whatever time period Newt is claiming he has been redeemed by Christ), it will only legitimise Newt's redemption.

the jmfcsts aren't concerned with the kind of life Newt lived prior to coming to Christ, for all of that is under the blood of Christ.

I am confused: I thought the jmfcsts were Protestant, not Catholic?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »

I am confused: I thought the jmfcsts were Protestant, not Catholic?

trying to place the jmfcsts in a predefined box..?  bad move
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »

I thought the Republican Party approved of scabs?
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »

The Tiffany's Tab and the vacation in Greece both happened after his "redemption."

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »

need details
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »

Back it May it was reported that he ran up a six-figure political campaign tab on Tiffany's jewelry for his third wife (or maybe another secret mistress? Never know with Newt...):

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/05/17/newt_gingrich_s_tiffany_s_bill_former_house_speaker_owed_as_much.html

It was also reported in June that he decided to take a vacation to Greece (Was it at his campaign's expense? Who knows...):

http://gawker.com/5809108/newt-gingrich-discovered-off-the-coast-of-greece

I guess, funny enough, it may be that a donation to Gingrich's campaign is really a partial subsidization of Tiffany's and Greece. Can we really expect any less from a career politician, though?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »

shopping at Tiffany's and vacationing in Greece is a sin?!  who knew
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »

shopping at Tiffany's and vacationing in Greece is a sin?!  who knew

If he used campaign funds for his vacation in Greece, then yes. If he used personal funds, it's obviously not an ethical issue, though it does lead to questions about his judgement if he's taking a vacation while he's supposed to be running for president.

The Tiffany's thing is at very least embarrassing and raises questions about his spending habits. If you were looking to hire an employee for your business, and you ran a credit check and found that he was deeply in debt to Tiffany's, you surely wouldn't count it as a positive.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies