Movie ages why movies today generally suck?

(1/9) > >>

Reaganfan:
I notice that one huge thing that differentiated movies I watched as a kid versus movies that have come out in the last couple of years is that they are using actors (and the characters the actors play) who are way, way younger than they used to.

For example, two movies off the top of my head I remember seeing when I was a kid are "Three Men and a Baby" from 1987, which at the time was one of the biggest box office hits in the world, and  "Look Who's Talking", which was one of the highest grossing films of 1989.

Let's look at some movies and look at the plot and age of the cast at the time.

Three Men and a Baby (1987)

Three bachelors (42 year old Tom Selleck, 40 year old Ted Danson and 29 year old Steve Guttenberg) find themselves forced to take care of a baby left by one of the guys' girlfriends.

Look Who's Talking (1989)

After a single, career-minded woman (38 year old Kirstie Alley) is left on her own to give to birth to the child of a married man (55 year old George Segal), she finds a new romantic chance in a cab driver (35 year old John Travolta). Meanwhile the point-of-view of the newborn boy is narrated through voice over (Bruce Willis).

Rain Man (1988)

An abrasive and selfish yuppie, Charlie Babbitt (25 year old Tom Cruise), discovers that his estranged father has died and bequeathed all of his multimillion-dollar estate to his other son, Raymond (51 year old Dustin Hoffman), an autistic savant of whose existence Charlie was unaware.

Twins (1988)

A physically perfect, but innocent, man (40 year old Arnold Schwarzenegger) goes in search of his twin brother (44 year old Danny DeVito), who is a short small-time crook.

Fatal Attraction (1987)

A married man (43 year old Michael Douglas) has a weekend affair with a woman (40 year old Glenn Close) who refuses to allow it to end, results in emotional blackmail, stalking and an ensuing obsession on her part.

It seems that movies today are SO full of younger actors and younger characters that, atleast to me, it seems LESS realistic and that may be why people keep saying movies today are not as good as they used to be.

If they remade "Three Men and a Baby" how much do you bet they would have a cast made up of three guys all 18 to 25 years old? It just wouldn't seem as right as the older cast of the original.

A steamy affair between a vampire and a young girl seems less realistic than a 43 year old and a 40 year old. Of course her going insane probably does work better nowadays with the younger girls.

Lief 🗽:
Four of those five movies are terrible.

Keystone Phil:
Naso manages to fit Three Men and a Baby into an unusually high amount of conversations.

Paul Kemp:
Yes!

King:
11/25/11: The day John Hughes movies joined crack cocaine and heavy metal in the Naso 'fake 80s that didn't exist' pile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page