Can Italy's new government be considered "democratic"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:52:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Can Italy's new government be considered "democratic"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Can Italy's new government be considered "democratic"?  (Read 5356 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: November 18, 2011, 05:20:29 AM »

I say no. The current trend with regards to democracy is certainly worrying.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »

There is a difference between accepting that this is legal under the democratic system of Italy (which it obviously is) and thinking that it is democratic in spirit.

I maintain that it is deeply problematic to treat the democratic structure this way.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »

There is a difference between accepting that this is legal under the democratic system of Italy (which it obviously is) and thinking that it is democratic in spirit.

I maintain that it is deeply problematic to treat the democratic structure this way.

I like this answer. Mind you, what I have a serious problem with isn't so much the existence of a technocratic government (as questionable as that must always be) but the fact that it apparently intends to stay in power for the duration of the parliamentary term. Of course it might not be able to do that, but the principle is a questionable one.

To me, the problem is that this is not a product of the democratic system in Italy. It isn't as if the people called for this government. It is not even the case that an elected parliamentary majority wanted this government. It's a government that certain forces outside of the country wanted and which was thus instituted.It's basically circumventing democracy and I think that is highly dangerous.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »

..and you're welcome to do, but it's your subjective individual opinion nothing more. I happen to have the subjective opinion that if something follow the rules, have widely popular support it's rather meaningless to call it undemocratic, and it's not like the Italians doesn't have very precise idea what a technocratic government means, they had one in the nineties, so that it will hurt won't surprise them.

All that is not really the problem. The problem is that a bunch of unelected people step in and puts a government in place because they can bankrupt the country otherwise. It's a behaviour that signals that democracy and the democratic process is a bad thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies