How are these swing states trending? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:20:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How are these swing states trending? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How are these swing states trending?  (Read 9318 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: December 26, 2004, 08:03:05 PM »

Pennsylvania is not trending Republican.

Just look at the map.

The "T" is becoming even more solidly Republican.

The Democrats are losing ground in their traditional strongholds in the south-west and West.  The Pittsburgh area itself is definatly trending Republican.  While Republicans are losing ground in some areas around Philly, it isn't enough to off-set the trend in the rest of the state.  Slowly, but surely, we are trending red (or blue in Atlas terms).

It's absolutley pointless arguing with him, Super. He's one of those people that think it's nearly impossible to beat Rendell. Don't waste your time arguing this point with him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 11:24:46 PM »

+
Pennsylvania is not trending Republican.

Just look at the map.

The "T" is becoming even more solidly Republican.

The Democrats are losing ground in their traditional strongholds in the south-west and West.  The Pittsburgh area itself is definatly trending Republican.  While Republicans are losing ground in some areas around Philly, it isn't enough to off-set the trend in the rest of the state.  Slowly, but surely, we are trending red (or blue in Atlas terms).

I don't think you understand the power of the Philadelphia area in terms of voting.  You also have to consider New York/North Jersey residents moving into Northeast Pennsylvania.  They are largely Democratic.  PA is a push.  I don't see a significant trend.

Philly was at it's peak this past election. Bush only lost PA by about 2 points.

So let's look at it this way...

2000 - Philly wasn't at it's peak. Gore wins by about 5 points.
2004 - Philly is at it's peak. Kerry wins by about 2 points.

You, my friend, are underestimating the T and other areas of the state.

And where are the facts that show people from NY and NJ moving to the NE? I think you have it backwards. People from the NE are moving to NY and NJ.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 11:26:22 PM »

How? In 2000, it was Bush by 9 and in this past eelction it was Bush by 8. That's no significant trend.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 11:32:10 PM »

Look at Fairfax county (even in 1996) and say that.

Besides, it sure as hell isn't trending Republican.

I think you said the state as a whole. Now answer my question: How is a one point swing indicating a trend for the state?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 11:54:20 PM »

As for Pennsylvania, it'll remain a swing state for a long time. Can everyone agree on that?

Not with your logic. Nice try, BRTD. If you can insist that VA is moving Dem because of a one point difference, PA is also trending one way and that would be Republican.

2000 - Gore by 5
2004 - Kerry by about 2

Republican trend is only backed up by your theory.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies