How are these swing states trending? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:16:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How are these swing states trending? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How are these swing states trending?  (Read 9316 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 26, 2004, 02:43:30 AM »

Ohio-Depends on job numbers.
Pennsylvania-Slight populist
Minnesota-Slight populist
Wisconsin-Slight populist
Michigan-Very slight populist
Arizona-Tiny, tiny D
New Mexico-Steady
Colorado-D
Florida-Tiny, tiny R
Iowa-Populist
New Hampshire-Slightly D
Missouri-Slightly R
Virginia-Tiny D
West Virginia-Strongly populist
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 06:23:47 PM »

Minnesota is not trending populist.

We are trending moderate.

When I say that, I mean that the rural farming areas which partially drove the progressive moment are becoming more socially moderate faster than they are economically - this is the case in many former progressive areas. The trend overall is towards moderation, with social issues going there faster in my eyes. However, I consider you the official expert on all things Minnesota here, so I'll cede to your knowledge on this topic. Smiley

I have to agree with Akno personally. The fact is, much of this is moot and all depends on the candidate. The fact is that while it is clear there are some slow trends, trends rarely come into play. Most states barely move an inch in 20 years, and even if they do, it accounts for just two percentage points or so at the most. Without a candidate to appeal there it's hard to tell.

This is just a casual observation that I get based on the demographics of an area. It's hard to do an individual state. However, you can assume that rural Iowa and rural Minnesota are trending at least somewhat similarly.

Philip, to claim that Nevada isn't trending Democrat is sort of ridiculous. As Las Vegas grows, the state gets more liberal, period. I've heard a lot about "suburban" sprawl, but unless the Democratic margin in Clark County starts shrinking, it will only help us.

Colorado is hard to tell, as is Virginia, although it is clear the northern suburbs are trending Democratic. Florida may not be trending Republican - it may be a blip.

The fact is, unless elections were held yearly, it's really not possible to tell trends unless there is major population growth in a Democratic area, as there was in Nevada.

Also, most trends are over by the time they are apparent.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 11:32:27 PM »

How? In 2000, it was Bush by 9 and in this past eelction it was Bush by 8. That's no significant trend.

Considering that the election was a virtual tie in 2000, it is a minor trend. However, two elections in a row obviously does not make a trend, so you are 100% correct.

I think the north is trending Democrat moderately, but not enough to flip the entire state when it maters. The point is that if the Dems win Virginia, they won't need it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 12:02:55 AM »

The national average is irrelevant. If MORE PEOPLE in the state vote REPUBLICAN, the state is NOT moving Democrat. It is moving LESS REPUBLICAN than the national average.

You are wrong, but still in one way right. If a state voted for Dukakis, that meant it was VERY Democratic, not that it went from extremely Democratic to a battleground.

However, you are also right in that it is not linear.

There are trends, but they are hard to find, hard to interpret, and hardly significant most of the time. And, by the time they show up, they are frequently gone.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies