Israel and Palestine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:53:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel and Palestine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Israel and Palestine  (Read 24001 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2004, 07:44:52 AM »
« edited: March 27, 2004, 07:53:19 AM by Old Europe »

And there was Möllem as well...I find it funny that the liberal parties in Germany and Austria have such strong anti-semitic traditions, whereas the Swedish liberals are the exact opposite.

Well, of course, there are also counterexamples, like veteran FDP politician Hildegard Hamm-Brücher (whose grandmother was a jew, who committed suicide to prevent her transportation to a concentration camp) who left the party as protest against Möllemann. He was not so undisputed within his party.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2004, 08:17:00 AM »

And there was Möllem as well...I find it funny that the liberal parties in Germany and Austria have such strong anti-semitic traditions, whereas the Swedish liberals are the exact opposite.

Well, of course, there are also counterexamples, like veteran FDP politician Hildegard Hamm-Brücher (whose grandmother was a jew, who committed suicide to prevent her transportation to a concentration camp) who left the party as protest against Möllemann. He was not so undisputed within his party.

Oh, I know I wasn't implying that the party as a whole was anti-semitic, far from it. Only that I think most anti-semites and ex-Nazis joined the liberals after the war, whereas the Christian Democrats were generally more on the good side, as the social democrats. Look at the 'liberal party' in Austria, they've gone completely overboard....
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2004, 10:30:31 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2004, 10:41:54 AM by Old Europe »

Oh, I know I wasn't implying that the party as a whole was anti-semitic, far from it. Only that I think most anti-semites and ex-Nazis joined the liberals after the war, whereas the Christian Democrats were generally more on the good side, as the social democrats. Look at the 'liberal party' in Austria, they've gone completely overboard....

And I didn´t want to imply that you are implying that the FDP is as a whole anti-Semitic neither. Wink

It´s true that right after the war the FDP served as a new political home for former Nazi officials and SS officers etc. in some parts of the country, especially towards the north (political parties were much more decentralized back then, with a lot regional differences). But I doubt there is a connection between the situation then and the "Möllemann affair". The former Nazi officials I mentioned were long dead, when Möllemann started his populist campaign. I think he was more inspired by the success of Jörg Haider and Austria´s FPÖ. And the liberals in Austria always had a more "nationalist" stance, while in Germany there was also a social-liberal tradition (Hildegard Hamm-Brücher, for example).

(I hope the American users here know about the differences between the American and the European meaning of the term "liberal". I once created a lot of confusion in another American-based forum when I started to talk about "liberals" in Europe there. Cheesy )
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2004, 04:47:56 PM »

And I didn´t want to imply that you are implying that the FDP is as a whole anti-Semitic neither. Wink

It´s true that right after the war the FDP served as a new political home for former Nazi officials and SS officers etc. in some parts of the country, especially towards the north (political parties were much more decentralized back then, with a lot regional differences). But I doubt there is a connection between the situation then and the "Möllemann affair". The former Nazi officials I mentioned were long dead, when Möllemann started his populist campaign. I think he was more inspired by the success of Jörg Haider and Austria´s FPÖ. And the liberals in Austria always had a more "nationalist" stance, while in Germany there was also a social-liberal tradition (Hildegard Hamm-Brücher, for example).

(I hope the American users here know about the differences between the American and the European meaning of the term "liberal". I once created a lot of confusion in another American-based forum when I started to talk about "liberals" in Europe there. Cheesy )

OK, I think you know more about the FDP than I do. Smiley

And on liberalism, tell me about it! We've had our fair share of controversy regarding that here as well... Smiley
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2004, 05:33:57 AM »

And on liberalism, tell me about it! We've had our fair share of controversy regarding that here as well... Smiley

Well, you know what I mean... that the European "liberal" has more the meaning of the American "libertarian" than the American "liberal".
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2004, 05:37:26 PM »

Well, you know what I mean... that the European "liberal" has more the meaning of the American "libertarian" than the American "liberal".

Yes, I know that. Smiley
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2004, 09:42:21 AM »

Yes, I know that. Smiley

Good. Wink
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2004, 09:32:17 AM »

The Beef Peace Plan:

1. Two states.
2. Israel withdraws to 1967 borders.
3. Old Jerusalem under Israeli control.
4. No right of return.
5. Israel evacuates all settlements.
6. Palestinian citizens granted right of passage between the West Bank and Gaza, and access to Old Jerusalem, but Israel may suspend that right if terrorist acts continue.
dunn

« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2004, 09:34:22 AM »

The Beef Peace Plan:

1. Two states.
4. No right of return.
6. Palestinian citizens granted right of passage between the West Bank and Gaza, and access to Old Jerusalem, but Israel may suspend that right if terrorist acts continue.
this is basiclly Clinton's plan that Barakaccepted and Arafat didn't and started a war
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2004, 10:09:11 AM »

The Beef Peace Plan:

1. Two states.
4. No right of return.
this is basiclly Clinton's plan that Barak accepted and Arafat didn't and started a war

Yep.  But just because Arafat walked out on it doesn't mean it's not a good plan.  We all know Arafat isn't interested in peace.  Once Arafat is gone, and the Palestinian leadership shifts from a policy of annihilation to a policy of peace, then they'll be able to work things out.  The only question is how many supermarkets and buses get blown to bits before that happens Sad.
dunn

« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2004, 10:24:46 AM »

The Beef Peace Plan:

1. Two states.
4. No right of return.
this is basiclly Clinton's plan that Barak accepted and Arafat didn't and started a war

Yep.  But just because Arafat walked out on it doesn't mean it's not a good plan.  We all know Arafat isn't interested in peace.  Once Arafat is gone, and the Palestinian leadership shifts from a policy of annihilation to a policy of peace, then they'll be able to work things out.  The only question is how many supermarkets and buses get blown to bits before that happens Sad.
I agree but
1. the fact that you know it does not mean the world does
2. Palestinian leadership shifts from a policy of annihilation to a policy of peace is something we expect for 80 years. Some of us  thought it came in the 90's and boy, were they wrong
tigerfan04
Rookie

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2004, 12:10:24 PM »

I haven't studied the subject much, so could someone please tell me why the Israelis think the land is theirs.  After the Romans defeated them in AD 70, they were dispersed throughout the empire.  After so many years of being absent, why do they think they still have a claim on the land?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2004, 12:11:53 PM »

I haven't studied the subject much, so could someone please tell me why the Israelis think the land is theirs.  After the Romans defeated them in AD 70, they were dispersed throughout the empire.  After so many years of being absent, why do they think they still have a claim on the land?

It is their homeland. Dunn is probably more well versed, he is Israeli.  Why do the Palestinians have a claim? Palestine has NEVER been a country, besides as I have said the REGION known as Palestine is mainly in Jordan.
tigerfan04
Rookie

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2004, 12:30:04 PM »

True, Palesitne was never a country.  The Hebrews, however, were not native to Palestine, they conquered it.  In my opinion, even if they previously had a claim on the land, they were absent for about 2000 years, and other people had moved in.  
bejkuy

« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2004, 01:30:10 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2004, 01:30:56 PM by bejkuy »

Is peace possible in palestine given the intense hatred and resentment.

I have spoken with Jews and Moslems on both sides of the issue.

While being reasonable and moderate on other issues, when the topic of Palestine comes up- whatch out!

Instant grinding of the teeth.  Otherwise reasonable people get instantly fired up.

How can they be at peace in the same area?

Is there really any peace plan that could work?
dunn

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2004, 05:49:43 PM »

True, Palesitne was never a country.  The Hebrews, however, were not native to Palestine, they conquered it.  In my opinion, even if they previously had a claim on the land, they were absent for about 2000 years, and other people had moved in.  
The jews were force out and wanted to come back ever since. b/c this is their home, in every corner of the globe they prayed for jerusalem (who is mentioned in the OT 728 times. 0 in the Kor'an). Their were jews in this country during the entire history. true sometimes not many' but their were very few arabs as well (and they came in the last few centuries). and by your logic if someone throw you out of your house and you come after say 20 years back and discover another person saw it enpty and live there for the last 2 years, does that mean it not your house?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2004, 11:48:50 PM »

Weren't there people in "Israel" before the Jews originally moved in?

And WHO voted for "Extermination of Palestinians," they are sick bastards.

And is Israel REALLY building that wall around Palestine which will cut the Palestinians off from a bunch of their land?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2004, 04:55:15 AM »

Palestine is NOT A COUNTRY!!!!!

Israel are building a wall around ISRAEL for DEFENCE!!! It is to stop suicide bomber attacks and it is very effective, in the one place it has already been constructed, it stopped ALL suicide bomber attempts.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2004, 08:57:29 AM »

And is Israel REALLY building that wall around Palestine which will cut the Palestinians off from a bunch of their land?

Ehhh....who's talking... Huh
dunn

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2004, 09:29:32 AM »

I didn't bother Gus, don't bother either
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2004, 10:11:00 AM »

I didn't bother Gus, don't bother either

OK.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2004, 01:13:43 PM »

Israel Blows Up Hamas Leader's Car

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040417/ap_on_re_mi_ea/gaza_explosion&cid=540&ncid=716

Another one bites the dust.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2004, 01:17:58 PM »

and another 100 or so angry palestinians take his place.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2004, 01:21:25 PM »

yup

by the way, I just love your signature quote. Smiley
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2004, 01:21:28 PM »

He was a particularly nasty guy, responsible for the deaths of a lot of Jews and one of the major blockades for peace.

Although it would be nicer if they were captured and executed, this is not as easy and so I support Israel's actions.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies