OpenAI working on text to video AI
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:53:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  OpenAI working on text to video AI
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OpenAI working on text to video AI  (Read 546 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2024, 09:03:34 AM »

Its so joever for artists.
Flats the Flounder
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 09:11:34 AM »

I think it's joever period
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 01:47:12 PM »

Great, another spam machine to clog up the internet.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 01:54:41 PM »

I'm okay with this if it takes some influencers off the web.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 04:01:21 PM »

Back when I used to read books once upon a time there was a Buffy trilogy I would have loved to see as a movie, but that was never going to happen as CGI was not advanced enough for the material (and the books were niche anyway), and obviously could not happen even hypothetically at this point as a real movie, but if AI could just make a movie out of it for me it would be Amazeballs!
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 04:13:26 PM »

This is getting scary. It was all fun and games when it was made to have Presidents play video games, but now it's serious.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 02:39:30 AM »

What exactly do you want people to be doing? The sense I get from your posts is that your ideal society is one where employment is either trading stocks or working 23 hours in a warehouse, with time off spent beating up refugees and watching movies made by plagiarizing robots. What a miserable vision for society!
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 06:12:19 AM »

Was that AI shot in Meguro?   Sure looks like it.  

Beautiful!    Just don't ever, ever, ever eat the "Italian" food in Tokyo.  "Noodles with kethup" is an undrerstatment.  And no, I am not a picky eater in way, shape, or, form.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 06:14:14 AM »

Was that AI shot in Meguro?   Sure looks like it.   

Beautiful!    Just don't ever, ever, ever eat the "Italian" food in Tokyo.  "Noodles with kethup" is an undrerstatment.  And no, I am not a picky eater in way, shape, or, form.
Oh, have you ever been to Saizeriya?
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 06:25:32 AM »

Was that AI shot in Meguro?   Sure looks like it.   

Beautiful!    Just don't ever, ever, ever eat the "Italian" food in Tokyo.  "Noodles with kethup" is an undrerstatment.  And no, I am not a picky eater in way, shape, or, form.
Oh, have you ever been to Saizeriya?

Can't say that I have.  My only experience in Japan is Tokyo:  Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ginza, Meguro, Camp Zama, Yokota, etc...it's a lot to take in.  And of course, Roppongi.  I remember the Roppongi stop on the Metro because it looked like a sailboat.

And that spider thing downtown (where I had the most AWFUL Italian food)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2024, 10:22:40 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2024, 10:35:37 AM by lfromnj »

What exactly do you want people to be doing? The sense I get from your posts is that your ideal society is one where employment is either trading stocks or working 23 hours in a warehouse, with time off spent beating up refugees and watching movies made by plagiarizing robots. What a miserable vision for society!

I'm not sure if it will but if the job market gets bad enough a NIT would be reasonable . Jobs that can be done by AI should be done by AI not sure whats special about human labor making art*. Almost all artists already learn from other works of art as well. Arguably speaking AI art is good for the poor. Now they can create any works of art for no or minimal cost to suit their design needs.

*human art is still better but I believe moores law will apply here and AI art will catch up in a few years.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 10:31:07 AM »

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command

They were right all along!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 08:52:35 PM »

No, he wants that automated as well. He's either an ultramontane "technological unemployment never leads to structural unemployment" dogmatist or a "fully automated luxury communism" Bushwick leftist pretending to be a libertarian from Jersey for the lulz.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 09:00:37 PM »

I thought they had already done it:

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 09:20:13 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2024, 09:23:34 AM by lfromnj »

No, he wants that automated as well. He's either an ultramontane "technological unemployment never leads to structural unemployment" dogmatist or a "fully automated luxury communism" Bushwick leftist pretending to be a libertarian from Jersey for the lulz.

Did you not read my above post on a possibility of supporting a NIT? However its important to not stymy technological progress, doing so would just mean rival nations would overtake us. You can limit the harms of it to reduce societal discontent if it gets bad enough

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 12:07:11 PM »

I'm not sure if it will but if the job market gets bad enough a NIT would be reasonable . Jobs that can be done by AI should be done by AI not sure whats special about human labor making art*. Almost all artists already learn from other works of art as well. Arguably speaking AI art is good for the poor. Now they can create any works of art for no or minimal cost to suit their design needs.

*human art is still better but I believe moores law will apply here and AI art will catch up in a few years.
AI will NEVER be able to produce emo music as good as humans, because AI doesn't have emotions.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2024, 01:48:18 PM »

Did you not read my above post on a possibility of supporting a NIT? However its important to not stymy technological progress, doing so would just mean rival nations would overtake us. You can limit the harms of it to reduce societal discontent if it gets bad enough

This is a point I don't think I've seen you concede before (and yes, somehow I skimmed over it when reading this thread yesterday; sorry about that), and it makes me a lot more comfortable with your general position here; a huge part of my objection to this kind of techno-optimism is that it often involves pretty chilly indifference to the short-to-medium-term suffering that we demonstrably see with technological unemployment, even if one believes that in the long term it leads causally to the more productive allocation of labor.

I still resent the idea that I should be happy to read or watch things that nobody could be bothered to write or film even if they're technically as well-done as The Brothers Karamazov or La Strada, though.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2024, 12:37:50 PM »

Literally demonic
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 09:26:48 PM »

Prompt: “Beautiful, snowy Tokyo city is bustling. The camera moves through the bustling city street, following several people enjoying the beautiful snowy weather and shopping at nearby stalls. Gorgeous sakura petals are flying through the wind along with snowflakes.”

Yeah, because beautiful snowy landscapes is TOTALLY what everyone is going to want to use this technology for.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2024, 08:47:39 PM »

https://www.thewrap.com/openai-to-meet-with-hollywood-studios-and-talent-agencies-next-week-on-sora-integration/
Anyway seems like the main hang up right now might be computation cost , so Hollywood will be first.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2024, 04:28:27 PM »

I looked into this a little more and the problem here is the exact same one that plagues all other generative AI. Once you get past the initial shock of a "creative" computer, you realize it looks like sh-t and is not something anyone would ever pay money to consume.

These AI videos are barely passable as stock footage and even then they're still off-putting enough to be undesirable. If Hollywood uses this technology for a movie and then charges people money to see it, it'll be a huge scandal and a legendary embarrassment.

All these talentless nerds that want to see art replaced by computers are missing the key component to these stories. Hollywood isn't interested in this technology because it's going to help them make quality movies for a fraction of the cost, they're interested in it because they're desperate. This is a last resort after they did seemingly everything in their power to destroy their own industry over the past 15 years. Any film made in collaboration with OpenAI is going to look much more like the Google black Nazis fiasco than it will anything resembling a watchable movie.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2024, 04:49:24 PM »

I looked into this a little more and the problem here is the exact same one that plagues all other generative AI. Once you get past the initial shock of a "creative" computer, you realize it looks like sh-t and is not something anyone would ever pay money to consume.

These AI videos are barely passable as stock footage and even then they're still off-putting enough to be undesirable. If Hollywood uses this technology for a movie and then charges people money to see it, it'll be a huge scandal and a legendary embarrassment.

All these talentless nerds that want to see art replaced by computers are missing the key component to these stories. Hollywood isn't interested in this technology because it's going to help them make quality movies for a fraction of the cost, they're interested in it because they're desperate. This is a last resort after they did seemingly everything in their power to destroy their own industry over the past 15 years. Any film made in collaboration with OpenAI is going to look much more like the Google black Nazis fiasco than it will anything resembling a watchable movie.
Here's a great example. I actually found out about these via a guy on YouTube complaining about them so it's kind of the Streisand Effect, but he's absolutely correct:

These are almost entirely AI-generated, aside from some editing to give some motion to the stills, from the script to the imagery, in fact even the idea behind them is, the founder of this company who previously made how to videos on how to use computer systems says he got the idea from a ChatGPT generated list of potential YouTube viral videos with one being "Star Wars directed by Wes Anderson."

The thing is...these are just such surface level parodies. They're almost like Freidberg and Seltzer-level at times. Like it's easy to parody Wes Anderson's visual style because it's so distinctive, the way he does symmetrical shots, his color schemes, and top down shots of inanimate objects. But all this does is take some shots in that style from the works being parodied, and even tries to shoehorn it in clumsily with those bits of a character listing off objects they'll need with top down shots...when does any trailer ever do this? For that matter the narration (written by ChatGPT) not only sounds unnatural, it's pretty weird for any trailer parody now to be such narration heavy considering trailers have barely used narration for over a decade now*. Also I would think "Wes Anderson directs Star Wars/The Lord of the Rings/Avatar" as a concept would be set in an alternate universe where he was the first director to tackle these films, not him doing a remake which the narration clearly touts these as.

Also as the initial video complaint pointed out, the titles aren't very Wes Anderson-esque at all. Most of his films are just named after where they're set: The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Darljeen Limited, Asteroid City, etc.

*actually a lot do have narration, but from a character in the movie's dialogue clips used as voiceover. So not like this at all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies