Most beautiful election map (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:42:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most beautiful election map (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most beautiful election map  (Read 15765 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: October 27, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »

GA 2006 Democratic Secretary of State Primary:

GA 2010 Republican Insurance Commissioner Primary:

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:46:45 AM »

I can probably tell you the race and region of every candidate without even knowing who they are.

Region, certainly, but probably not race Tongue All of the candidates were actually white.

I imagine that the yellow candidate is white and probably from the northern suburbs of Athens,  but I wonder what explains his support in the far northwest and southeast. Comparative weakness/geographical distance of the others coupled with a more even distribution of the yellow candidate's vote, perhaps.

Indeed; Mac Barber was from Jackson County (the southeast darker yellow county). Though Athens actually doesn't have much in the way of suburbs, interestingly, with the possible exception of northern Oconee County (although that area is more of an exurban Atlanta bedroom community).

You're entirely correct regarding why he won the random counties on the edge of the state; he was the only candidate with any degree of statewide name recognition. He had been a fixture in state politics since he first took office in 1948; he was a unique character, and that helped him get a lot of news coverage through the years as well.

He made headlines a few times for forgiving hospital big bills when he was a regional hospital authority president, he often left his office through the window, he once wrecked a government car by driving it off a convenience store loading ramp, and at one point won a six-figure settlement in a defamation case and donated it all to the University of Georgia. When he was on Georgia's Public Service Commission, he was once investigated for taking bribes; to demonstrate his innocence by proving his disregard for money, he showed up at the state Attorney General's office with 24 years' worth of PSC checks he had never cashed.

Apologies for the off topic tangent, by the way Tongue Barber's always been a favorite of mine. But yeah, outside of his old State House district he polled roughly the same in every rural county statewide, but that percentage was only enough to let him win in areas were no other candidate had influence.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:02:19 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2011, 05:04:12 AM by Bacon King, VP »

GA 2010 Republican Insurance Commissioner Primary:

Oh, let me clarify a bit on why I like this one. It was a nine candidate race, with eight of the candidates winning counties (though naturally, the guy I voted for was the ninth one!). Three different candidates are purple on this map so it doesn't really show the true beauty/insanity; the purple block in the west was all one candidate, but the purple counties in the southwest and in the southeast were two other guys. Also, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the lighter shades of some of the colors so it's difficult to distinguish between green and blue, or yellow and orange.

But still, it looks like a five year old splattered paint on the wall which then had a map of Georgia superimposed over it. These sorts of chaotic maps always amuse me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies