Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:53:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 38
Author Topic: Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)  (Read 143978 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2011, 07:19:16 AM »

8 pt improvement for the PQ over '08, PLQ under 50. So she'll be spinning a moral victory for the next while.

I suppose QS might, too, for quadrupling the ADQ.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »

QS isn't progressive.
With their proposals, they would kill some industries, like mining and tourism.
Their economical policies are flirting with communism and they put environment above all, even workers.
that IS left-wing and progressive.
So-called progressive, because that is regressist.

I think here it all depends on how you define progressive then... QS dosen't support the CURRENT mining process... and place the environment on the same level as growth and jobs... and if some corporations wont step up and government has to do it, so be it. To me thats progressive to put People and our quality of life and environment first above corporate greed.

From their platform:
"Current economic policies constitute a threat to the survival of ecosystems.
Québec solidaire proposes a new form of development, based on reformed
definitions of growth, production and consumption. This form of development
subordinates the economy to social justice and to a respect of our environ-
ment."

Anywho... i think that poll was dead on for the QS, which is a victory for them as their vote trippled. The PQ and PLQ are happy, PLQ won, and PQ performed better at the expense of the ADQ. BUT what if CAQ had run a candidate?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »

I live in a mining area and what they propose is unworkable.

Well, the whole idea of "reformed definitions of growth, production and consumption" is unworkable, since Quebec isn't isolated from the rest of the Canada/world.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »

Well, the whole idea of "reformed definitions of growth, production and consumption" is unworkable, since Quebec isn't isolated from the rest of the Canada/world.

Interesting, how so? unworkable that is? i'm curious as an urban guy and not from a mining area.

I think trying to develop an internal economy that is self-suffcient can only help when, as now, times get tough. But its hard for any region in the world to do that... but "don't let them tell you it can't be done" LOL
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »

Interesting, how so? unworkable that is? i'm curious as an urban guy and not from a mining area.

I think trying to develop an internal economy that is self-suffcient can only help when, as now, times get tough. But its hard for any region in the world to do that... but "don't let them tell you it can't be done" LOL

I agree, but mining can't be self-sufficient. We don't extract all those minerals for our own use.
And giving the powers to regulate mines to cities and counties is a very bad idea. They don't have the expertise to deal with that.

And their other idea is lowering grants and raising money given to government. They will just go elsewhere. Sure, that will be great for environment...
Government should increase imputability and transparence and force consultations of the local population and raise a little bit the "redevances", but, PQ proposal is exagerated and would only depress the industry and the economy.

One sentence is telling on their website. It says it wants to end "mining boom" for a slower mining development.
It is ridiculous. It would be like saying to a company "Sorry, too many plants opened this year, come back next year".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »

Good news for the PQ and QS, mediocre news for the Liberals and more bad news for the ADQ.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »

Marois: I'm unafraid of criticism at the upcoming National Council meeting.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/337896/conseil-national-du-parti-quebecois-marois-ne-craint-pas-les-debats-sur-son-leadership

sh**t like this is why the PLQ needs at least two terms in opposition.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/337881/turcot-sera-construit-dans-le-meme-mode-que-le-pont-champlain-il-y-a-50-ans
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »

Liberals are still going on the economy and slamming Legault as a crypto-separatist.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec/charest-to-seek-fourth-term/article2266824/
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »

Somebody in my family says that her home province is stupid, she'll be proved correct if they reelect the Mafia King St. John the Baptist.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2011, 02:07:08 PM »

Somebody in my family says that her home province is stupid, she'll be proved correct if they reelect the Mafia King St. John the Baptist.

Is the Platitude King who destroyed our K-11 system any better? I think not.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2011, 02:10:40 PM »

I never insinuated or meant that, they all suck, but Johnny is probably the worst.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »

I never insinuated or meant that, they all suck, but Johnny is probably the worst.

I concur.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2011, 05:32:18 PM »

Charest's running on a strategy that doesn't work anymore (and is borrowed from the Pelciquistes) and a federally negotiated trade deal which will not be signed before the election. Plus his own chief ripoff of Dief's Vision which no one gives a hoot about outside Pelquiste circles.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »

ADQ-CAQ merger could be announced this week.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201112/11/01-4476829-la-fusion-entre-la-caq-et-ladq-est-pratiquement-conclue.php

Khadir wants a QS caucus of 5.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201112/11/01-4476811-khadir-veut-faire-elire-cinq-deputes-aux-prochaines-elections.php

Curzi moving closer to Option Nationale.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/338120/pierre-curzi-se-rapproche-d-option-nationale
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »

Wonderful, Wonderful. Let me know of any changes in the assembly.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »

ADQ-CAQ... are one... ummm more like CAQ just ate up what was left of the ADQ
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Legault+absorbs+party/5852314/story.html

QS wknd convention write up:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Qu%c3%a9bec+solidaire+wants+language/5842616/story.html

Synopsis of some policy into the next election:
- Creating a State bank for Quebec
- Creating a universal retirement plan and minimum income guarantee for anyone over age 18.
- No support for expanding bill 101 in CEGEPs; But also want to push learning of english in french schools
- Supported a proposal against making the knowledge of English a hiring requirement unless it is shown to be indispensable for a position.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »

Merger details: ADQ becomes the founding CAQ caucus with Deltell as parliamentary leader. PQ defectors will be welcomed but not poached.

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/338293/fusion-consommee-pour-la-caq-et-l-adq

Charest: ADQ is "marrying a poll."

http://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/338283/l-adq-fusionne-avec-un-sondage

Also, read in the Gazette today that Legault is adamantly opposed to loosening the workplace provisions in Loi 101. No surprise there, and equally unsurprising that the Anglo business leaders are sticking with the Grits.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »

Also, read in the Gazette today that Legault is adamantly opposed to loosening the workplace provisions in Loi 101.

Why he would commit suicide with Franco voters?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2011, 04:40:09 PM »

Also, read in the Gazette today that Legault is adamantly opposed to loosening the workplace provisions in Loi 101.

He probably knows it's good economics but bad politics.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »

But he doesn't care. Legault is a empty guy running on an empty program.
Only vague ideas, nothing concrete.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »

But he doesn't care. Legault is a empty guy running on an empty program.
Only vague ideas, nothing concrete.

Voters don't seem to care either. They wanted old-new in May and they want old-new now. It's a lamentable state of affairs, but the other options aren't much better. Personally I've already resolved to just stay home on E-Day- barring an unexpected CAQ breakthrough with Anglos my riding will still be Liberal (Weil's my MNA) regardless.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2011, 04:15:51 PM »

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201112/14/01-4477797-il-ne-reste-que-2521-membres-a-ladq.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B4_manchettes_231_accueil_POS4

So, summary.

There is 2521 members left in ADQ.
Only those will be able to vote in the postal vote about merger (except those whose membership elasped in the 90 last days, which is around 200 persons).

People will receive ballots between Januany 2 and 6 and must return them before January 17.
Results will be announced in a press conference on January 22.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »

Expect the results will be overwhelmingly pro-merger. I mean really, what other choice is there? As for the election date, no idea. Charest could wait until 2013, but he adhered to the 4 +/- 1 month rule even in '07 when his poll numbers were crappy. As I said earlier, depends if he wants to preempt Charbonneau or avoid the appearance of panic by waiting another full year. It won't be January 2013 for obvious reasons.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »

Another resignation.

David Whissell, MNA for Argenteuil since 1998, resigned today, officially to do other things. Opposition parties are saying than it is probably to escape the ethics rules beginning on January 1st. He is an owner of a big paving company. He prefered resigning as Labour Minister than to sell it, a few years ago.

Last time it didn't elected a Liberal was 1962. Another riding with a significant Anglophone minority. It is also the riding of the Green leader.

Results since Whissell is elected (according to the apparently dead quebecpolitique website):

June 1998 by-election
Liberals: 57%
PQ: 38%
ADQ: 5%

November 1998
Liberals: 42%
PQ: 42%
ADQ: 13%
Others: Bloc Pot (marijuana) 1.2%, Ind 0.7%, Natural Law 0.3%, PDS (the remainers of the NDP-Quebec) 0.3%
Finally, Whissell is relected by 148 votes.

April 2003
Liberals: 53%
PQ: 25%
ADQ: 18%
Greens: 2.1%
Bloc Pot: 1.2% (yes, again)

March 2007
Liberals: 38%
ADQ: 30%
PQ: 26%
Greens: 4.7%
QS: 2.3%

December 2008
Liberals: 50%
PQ: 33%
ADQ: 11%
Greens: 3.5%
QS: 2.1%

A map is in the works, before someone asks.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »

We know the PQ has internal problems when they return to the language well.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201112/15/01-4478259-pauline-marois-veut-reecrire-la-loi-101.php

CROP: CAQ would win 100 seats and 39% were an election held today.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201112/15/01-4478363-sondage-une-centaine-de-sieges-pour-la-caq.php

CAQ will contest Argenteuil.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-quebecoise/201112/16/01-4478667-la-caq-veut-detroner-le-plq-dans-argenteuil.php
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies