Ron Paul wants to phase out federal student loans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:09:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Ron Paul wants to phase out federal student loans  (Read 3702 times)
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »

Some change to the system is definitely needed.  I don't know about a total phase out.  Given the amount of student debt and the number of unemployed college graduates one has to question the wisdom of subsidizing even more college graduates.

I think it is reckless to not even examine the billions of dollars pumped into the student loan market by private and public sources.  If student loans were mortgages people would be screaming bloody murder about bank fraud.  A teenager taking out six figures worth of loans to attend a small liberal arts college in New England and study poetry for 4 years would be considered predatory lending in any other circumstance.  Serious cost benefit analysis needs to be applied to this market.

I personally would be for subsidizing degrees we need such as doctors, engineers, chemists, biochemists, etc.  I would let spoiled rich kids foot their own bill if they wanted to study English literature at Bucknell.  I would not let some kid from the ghetto take out six figures worth of loans to go to Amherst to study philosophy.

I am always deeply suspicious of Republicans.  Their unabated assault on knowledge and reason is very disturbing, but in this instance there may actually be a valid point.  If you think there should be no cut in at least some federal and private student loans then please check out the law school scam that is rampant in this country.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »

This is what makes it so difficult to talk to Paulites believers in gravity, there are a lot of assumptions as to what will happen.

You assume that if federal loans there were no gravity, Universities objects will have to reduce costs rise? Therefore more students objects with high density could get in fly without it... an assumption - you assume that states objects dropping would re-instate their own schemes require an equal amount of force in the opposite direction ... but wouldn't that create the samedistortion effect as gravity?

The whole point of states is so that they can serve as effective petri dishes for the purpose of seeing how government policy works in an area. The federal government exists to protect these states from foreign intrusion and to hold them together in the Union.

If one state removed students loans altogether and another didn't, it wouldn't be an assumption anymore, would it? Anyway, you don't need much more than basic economics (and this much is shared by both Keynesians, Austrians and pretty much all schools) to know that the government providing a very long line of credit (at the cost of tax dollars, etc) to students who are highly unlikely to be capable of paying it back any time soon will result in a sudden increase in demand, followed by an associated price increase due to a shortage of supply.

It's a bit like if the government offered everyone 25$ for buying peaches to be paid back for with taxes (or with a tiny amount of interest in the future, etc). Most people would take advantage of the situation to get as many peaches as possible, but the amount of peaches hasn't changed, only the amount of money available and the demand for them. The people selling the peaches would run out with others wanting more, so they would simply increase price until they could sell as many peaches as possible and make the largest profit.

Then, assuming the government removed this $25 peach loan, the peach sellers would suddenly discover that people didn't want to pay $35 for a peach, so they would decrease their prices until peach demand was again roughly equal to peach supply, which would probably be the difference between the loan and the original cost (else they'd simply go out of business and those peaches would go to someone who knows how to sell them)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2011, 03:03:25 PM by Certified Swell »

Some change to the system is definitely needed.  I don't know about a total phase out.  Given the amount of student debt and the number of unemployed college graduates one has to question the wisdom of subsidizing even more college graduates.

I think it is reckless to not even examine the billions of dollars pumped into the student loan market by private and public sources.  If student loans were mortgages people would be screaming bloody murder about bank fraud.  A teenager taking out six figures worth of loans to attend a small liberal arts college in New England and study poetry for 4 years would be considered predatory lending in any other circumstance.  Serious cost benefit analysis needs to be applied to this market.

I personally would be for subsidizing degrees we need such as doctors, engineers, chemists, biochemists, etc.  I would let spoiled rich kids foot their own bill if they wanted to study English literature at Bucknell.  I would not let some kid from the ghetto take out six figures worth of loans to go to Amherst to study philosophy.

I am always deeply suspicious of Republicans.  Their unabated assault on knowledge and reason is very disturbing, but in this instance there may actually be a valid point.  If you think there should be no cut in at least some federal and private student loans then please check out the law school scam that is rampant in this country.

I... agree. Let me pass the bar with or without an JD.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2011, 04:10:23 PM by Cult of Personality »

This is my biggest problem with the Paulites progressives who are still following the New Deal philosophy 80 years later, they seem to reside in a world where there are no real-world consequences of their positions.

Fixed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies