should Ginsburg (and maybe Breyer) retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:31:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  should Ginsburg (and maybe Breyer) retire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: should Ginsburg (and maybe Breyer) retire  (Read 6680 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
« edited: March 31, 2014, 06:23:34 PM by bullmoose88 »

A corporation person can't find Jesus. The shareholders can.  The idea of corporate religious freedom is bonkers in my most humble opinion.

So when shareholders are trying to exercise their freedom of religion and say the law runs afoul of that right (not to mention the "right" of workers to healthcare or to control their reproductive futures) it's the shareholders who are injured. Not the corporation which can't go to church, pray, etc. Unless we're saying the corporation is a closely facade for its shareholders and isn't its own separate entity.

So people who share a specific set of religious views cannot form a corporation that shares those views?  That the right to associate would be limited for religious views but not for financial views is what I would consider to be a crazy idea that exalts lucre above all else.  Freedom of religion to be complete requires that the religious be free to exercise their religion in groups and furthermore be free to do so in any type of group they choose to form.

The proper way to deny Hobby Lobby the ability to interfere in their employees' health care choices is not by mandating that they provide their employees with specific packages of health care coverage, but by not mandating that they provide health care to their employees.

You are more than free to associate how you wish, but once you give birth to that separate person so that you're shielded, I would suggest that the separate person's injury is no longer your own and your injuries are not "his"..."His?"... (because, erm...well...you're shielded and he, He? in a way is shielded from you).  

I had more thoughts here going back to your reply of corporate execution (a sentiment I agree with on a number of levels), but I would say that Government eminent domaining corporate property certainly hurts you the stockholder in an economic sense, but the legal injury (if there is one) is to the corporation.  Conversely, Microsoft is not the injured party should Uncle Sam decide to take the cash of its majority shareholders (Gates...you get the idea).  Though in the former example, imagine if Microsoft exercised its second amendment rights to keep the gubment's grubby hands off its corporate body.  
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »

You are more than free to associate how you wish, but once you give birth to that separate person so that you're shielded, I would suggest that the separate person's injury is no longer your own and your injuries are not "his"..."His?"... (because, erm...well...you're shielded and he, He? in a way is shielded from you).

As far as I know, limited liability only works in a financial sense, not a moral sense.  Until God starts to charter limited moral liability corporations, limited liability cannot shield shareholders from the moral consequences of the corporation's actions. (Perhaps the Pope could charter corporations with built-in indulgences, but I fear I digress, and in any case, I don't believe the management of Hobby Lobby is Catholic.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies