Hispanic Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 01:25:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hispanic Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hispanic Republicans  (Read 3805 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
« edited: September 26, 2011, 08:10:31 PM by Jacobtm »

Does anyone have any data on who Hispanic Republicans are, outside of Florida Cubans?

Country of origin, income, what generation are they, Spanish/English spoken at home, state-by-state breakdowns.

My gut instincts tell me they're almost all white people who come from the upper classes of Latin America, or 3rd + generation who are by now no more Mexican than Joe Schmoe is Irish.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »

Well, when look at those who have voted Republican (which does not necessarily mean they are Republicans):

1) they tend to be men more than woman (similar to whites - the gender gap is notoriously large in Texas, a fact which has now showed up in a number of recent election exit polls),
2) they have higher incomes (once again, similar to whites)
3) they tend to be older (obviously similar to whites, though this is not the case in Texas, again - not much age gap there)

More than that, they really don't tell us.  So, really, Hispanics are whites, just more Democratic.
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »

There was a fairly big story in Texas awhile back when a Hispanic Democrat, Artie Pena, in the Rio Grande Valley switched to being a Republican.  In return the GOP drew his new state House seat as a seat that had more Perry voters than Bill White voters in Hidalgo County.  It must have been a difficult district to draw because Hidalgo County voted more than 65% for former mayor White.

I don't know abut the demographics you asked for.
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »

Well, if you're basing your info off of Texas, we're really talking about Mexicans, who are overwhelmingly the largest Hispanic group in the country.

But Mexicans in Texas have little to do with Dominicans and Puerto Ricans in NY, or Salvadorians in D.C.

Looking at Pew Hispanic Center, I can find lots of breakdowns of Hispanic Americans by country of origin, language, state, education, income, race, but nothing that organizes that in reference to voting patterns of Party ID...
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »

Actually, if you adjust for income, there really isn't that much of a gap between whites and hispanics.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »

This hasn't been explored but I hypothesized conversiosn to Protestantism and Mormonism as inducing Republican voting.
Jacobtm

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »

This hasn't been explored but I hypothesized conversiosn to Protestantism and Mormonism as inducing Republican voting.

Actually it has, and you're correct. Page 14 of the report shows the graph: http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/48.pdf

Catholic Hispanics went 33% for Bush in 2000 and 2004. No change.
Protestant/Other Hispanics went from 44% Bush in 2000 to 56% Bush in 2004.

Why? I'm not sure. But wasn't Rove quoted as saying that in 2000 tons of Evangelicals stayed home because of Bush's drunk driving? Maybe that was them coming out in 2004 stronger after forgetting Bush was a drunk.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »

Actually it has, and you're correct. Page 14 of the report shows the graph: http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/48.pdf

Catholic Hispanics went 33% for Bush in 2000 and 2004. No change.
Protestant/Other Hispanics went from 44% Bush in 2000 to 56% Bush in 2004.

Why? I'm not sure. But wasn't Rove quoted as saying that in 2000 tons of Evangelicals stayed home because of Bush's drunk driving? Maybe that was them coming out in 2004 stronger after forgetting Bush was a drunk.

You are a good man for the link.

I seem to recall some prominent Hispanic Evangelical leader who endorsed Bush (who was it?).

It's telling that Catholics stayed static with the swing almost entirely with Protestants/Others.

I guess the question is, is it stronger than income or other factors like age, gender?
Jacobtm

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2011, 09:00:13 PM by Jacobtm »

I seem to recall some prominent Hispanic Evangelical leader who endorsed Bush (who was it?).

It's telling that Catholics stayed static with the swing almost entirely with Protestants/Others.

I guess the question is, is it stronger than income or other factors like age, gender?

I would wonder even more about whether these people are lifelong Protestants who converted to Republicanism, or lifelong Republicans who converted to Protestantism...

My guess would be that they're Protestants who converted to Republicanism.

Remember that the social climate was verrrry different in '04 than '00. Remember when Gore and Bush were running and people made fun of the 2 for having almost no real differences besides one being a robot and the other a moron? Bush hadn't really wrapped himself in the conservative mantle yet.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »

Yes Protestant (Evangelical) Hispanics tend to be more Republican than their Catholic counterparts.  This is true.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 09:00:14 PM »

I would wonder even more about whether these people are lifelong Protestants who converted to Republicanism, or lifelong Republicans who converted to Protestantism...

More like lifelong Catholics that converted to being Evangelicals (or Pentecostals) - Protestant is not that accurate.  Change in political voting patterns is an effect of the change, not a cause.
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »

More like lifelong Catholics that converted to being Evangelicals (or Pentecostals) - Protestant is not that accurate.  Change in political voting patterns is an effect of the change, not a cause.

You're saying that an adult who converts to evangelism is the kind of person more likely to begin voting Republican when he hasn't before? Guess that makes sense...
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »

Protestant Hispanics are more likely to have been in the US longer, thus fit the other demographic groups favorable to the GOP than Catholic Hispanics.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »

Hispanic Republicans?  That's an anomaly...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »

My guess would be that they're Protestants who converted to Republicanism.

Remember that the social climate was verrrry different in '04 than '00. Remember when Gore and Bush were running and people made fun of the 2 for having almost no real differences besides one being a robot and the other a moron? Bush hadn't really wrapped himself in the conservative mantle yet.

Gun control and abortion were the difference.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »

Miami says hi
Jacobtm

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 10:00:16 PM »

With the NV caucuses and the Florida primary, it's important to understand who these people are.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:28 PM »

I've always thought Hispanics were more Populist than the general population based on the Nolan Scale.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »

Most Hispanic Protestants are Assembly of God or Seventh-day Adventist. Not many mainline Protestant Hispanics, which is probably a big factor in those numbers. Does make me wonder how the Hispanics at my church vote, but they are all quite young, even by the church's standards...

Something interesting I noticed at my church is that people tend to self-segregate, there's a "black section" with the seats on the right near the entrance, an "Asian section" front center and sometimes a "Hispanic section" which is basically across the aisle from the blacks. The whites sit everywhere else of course, and near these other sections too, but all the minorities seem to congregate in one place.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 12:19:30 AM »

Protestant Hispanics are more likely to have been in the US longer, thus fit the other demographic groups favorable to the GOP than Catholic Hispanics.

New Mexico is a perfect example of that. Over 40% of the state is of Hispanic descent, but a plurality of the state is Protestant rather than Catholic. The Hispanics in the state are also much more open to voting for Republicans than in other places of the country.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 04:56:37 AM »

Protestant Hispanics are more likely to have been in the US longer.
Those who converted in the US, anyways.

Pentecostal and other evangelical sects are growing in many parts of South America as well, and it's a political factor in some country's elections.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 05:14:16 AM »

There is also the question, particularly with those of Mexican descent, of whether or not they are descended from illegal aliens.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »

Protestant Hispanics are more likely to have been in the US longer...

Is that a fact, or a conjecture?

Because there is massive conversion to evangelical protestantism ongoing in Latin America, especially within the poorer, including Native, communities. Chiapas is barely 60% Catholic these days.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »

Because there is massive conversion to evangelical protestantism ongoing in Latin America, especially within the poorer, including Native, communities. Chiapas is barely 60% Catholic these days.

On page 3 of this  (http://cara.georgetown.edu/Hispanic%20Catholics.pdf) it says,

"Espinosa, Elizondo, and Miranda (2003) note that second and third generation Hispanics are more likely than their first generation counterparts to identify as Protestant."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies