Texas School Punishes Boy for Opposing Homosexuality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:43:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas School Punishes Boy for Opposing Homosexuality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Texas School Punishes Boy for Opposing Homosexuality  (Read 6831 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »

Jmfcst, I don't recall a place in the Bible where it says that "being a homosexual is wrong". Obviously it says having gay sex is wrong, but that's not what the student in this case said.

Back in those days, homosexuality was a choice-that is, a hobby-rather than a lifestyle.

God:  “What you are doing is deprived and shameful!”

UnSaintlyHomosexual:  “But I’m not doing it as a passing fad, I’m really serious about it and have made it my lifestyle…”

God: “Oh, in that case, carry on…”
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »

Of course the headline is dead wrong and you are reading selectively.

---
After a meeting with Pope and her attorney, the school rescinded the two-day suspension so Dakota would be allowed to play in an upcoming football game.

“They’ve righted all the wrongs,” said Matt Krause, an attorney with the Liberty Counsel. “This should have no lasting effect on his academic or personal record going forward.”

Pope contacted the Liberty Counsel immediately after her son was punished.

“I told the school that he should never have been suspended for exercising his Constitutional rights,” Krause told Fox News Radio. “The principal is sincere in trying to do the right thing and hopefully they will tell the teacher, ‘Do not do that anymore.’ He won’t be pushing his agenda.”
---

In other words this was primarily due to one teacher, not the school itself, and the punishment was rescinded accordingly since he didn't do anything against the rules.
If the school didn't side with the teacher, how did the student get suspended in the first place?  A teacher can't suspend a student without the administration going along with it.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

holy crap!  just read the article...hats off to Dibble for being so balanced in his citation  Roll Eyes

You must be logged in to read this quote.

yep, teacher and school weren't pushing an agenda at all...Roll Eyes

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »

If the school didn't side with the teacher, how did the student get suspended in the first place?  A teacher can't suspend a student without the administration going along with it.

of course the school sided with the teacher:

and it took a the family's  lawyer to rattle the school's cage in order to drop the suspension:

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »

That quote is why I said it had little to do with christianity and more to do with the teachers disdain with antihomosexuality.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

That quote is why I said it had little to do with christianity and more to do with the teachers disdain with antihomosexuality.

well, yeah, obviously if the boy had said, "I am a Christian and I support homosexual", the teacher would not have had a problem.  The teacher will tolerate Christian viewpoints as long as they're unChristian.  After all, it's not label of Christianity that is offensive, it's the substance.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »

Of course the headline is dead wrong and you are reading selectively.

---
After a meeting with Pope and her attorney, the school rescinded the two-day suspension so Dakota would be allowed to play in an upcoming football game.

“They’ve righted all the wrongs,” said Matt Krause, an attorney with the Liberty Counsel. “This should have no lasting effect on his academic or personal record going forward.”

Pope contacted the Liberty Counsel immediately after her son was punished.

“I told the school that he should never have been suspended for exercising his Constitutional rights,” Krause told Fox News Radio. “The principal is sincere in trying to do the right thing and hopefully they will tell the teacher, ‘Do not do that anymore.’ He won’t be pushing his agenda.”
---

In other words this was primarily due to one teacher, not the school itself, and the punishment was rescinded accordingly since he didn't do anything against the rules.

If I had to guess I would suspect that the teacher wrote the infraction up and someone in admin rubber stamped it without really looking into it trusting the teacher was justified in doing it, and it may be possible the teacher exaggerated the problem when he wrote it up as well given the description of how this teacher reacted to the incident.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 04:41:44 PM by jmfcst »

If I had to guess I would suspect that the teacher wrote the infraction up and someone in admin rubber stamped it without really looking into it trusting the teacher was justified in doing it, and it may be possible the teacher exaggerated the problem when he wrote it up as well given the description of how this teacher reacted to the incident.

no, i think the teacher sent him down to the office and the vice principle listened to what happened, got the boy's side of the story...scolded the student and determined the punishment
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2011, 04:44:10 PM »

teachers dont have the power to suspend a student...that comes from either the principal or the assistant principal
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »

no, i think the teacher sent him down to the office and the vice principle listened to what happened, got the boy's side of the story...scolded the student and determined the punishment

Possibly, but as I said the teacher may have exaggerated the problem, and it's likely an administrator is more likely to believe a teacher than a student. I wouldn't be surprised if the teacher might have picked a particular assistant principle who was friendly to his views, though.

teachers dont have the power to suspend a student...that comes from either the principal or the assistant principal

I'm aware of that - what do you think I meant by "someone in admin"?
rwoy
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »

Sounds to me like the teacher is a homo and wants to force his warped lifestyle on the schoolchildren.  Good for the boy for standing up against the gay mafia, even if his name is Dakota.

Question ... if we replace "Homosexuality" w/ "Judaism" and the school was punishing a boy who said "being a Jew is wrong" would you feel the same way?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2011, 08:44:21 PM »

Sounds to me like the teacher is a homo and wants to force his warped lifestyle on the schoolchildren.  Good for the boy for standing up against the gay mafia, even if his name is Dakota.

Haha, blubby wins again.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

Sounds to me like the teacher is a homo and wants to force his warped lifestyle on the schoolchildren.  Good for the boy for standing up against the gay mafia, even if his name is Dakota.

Question ... if we replace "Homosexuality" w/ "Judaism" and the school was punishing a boy who said "being a Jew is wrong" would you feel the same way?
Protip:  Van Der Blub impersonates other members.  That's not Keystone Phil.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2011, 09:21:39 PM »

In the words of either my uncle's or my Dad's coach from back in the day "Dammit Dammit Dammit Dammit Dammit Dammit Dammit!" I'm glad they don't have this sh**t at my school, or I would have been shut up long ago for expressing my views.

I see nothing wrong with this. School is not the place for children to be spouting hate speech.

Jesus Christ. Seriously. My belief that something is wrong qualifies me as hating a certain class of people? Ah yes, I think that two men kissing each other in a sexual way is wrong, that means I hate all homosexuals and think they'll all go to Hell and in fact want them burned at the stake. Yes, that's what it means. "Doing drugs is wrong!" yes, that means I hate every last drug user including my stoner friends. This is bullsh**t.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2011, 09:24:58 PM »

In the words of either my uncle's or my Dad's coach from back in the day "Dammit Dammit Dammit Dammit Dammit Dammit Dammit!" I'm glad they don't have this sh**t at my school, or I would have been shut up long ago for expressing my views.

I see nothing wrong with this. School is not the place for children to be spouting hate speech.

Jesus Christ. Seriously. My belief that something is wrong qualifies me as hating a certain class of people? Ah yes, I think that two men kissing each other in a sexual way is wrong, that means I hate all homosexuals and think they'll all go to Hell and in fact want them burned at the stake. Yes, that's what it means. "Doing drugs is wrong!" yes, that means I hate every last drug user including my stoner friends. This is bullsh**t.

But doing drugs, like the highly dangerous drug Alcohol, is a choice. On the other hand being gay is not.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »

But doing drugs, like the highly dangerous drug Alcohol, is a choice. On the other hand being gay is not.

It is most certainly a choice to act on it.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »

I'm aware of that - what do you think I meant by "someone in admin"?

Hey, even though I misread your post, just be glad I attempted to read it.  Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2011, 01:07:53 AM »

Oh those persecuted Christians! 

I saw a picture of a sign that was really cute.

"Religion is like a penis.  It's nice to have one.  It's alright to be proud of it.  But please don't whip it out in public and show it to everybody and please, by all means, do not try to shove it down my childrens' throats."
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »

So they should just repress their feelings and live a depressing life? Why?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »

2000 year old book about magic and fairies says so.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »

This is the kind of debate where the winning party is the one who doesn't participate.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »

People can be born with certain tendencies. Just because I'm born with some pre-disposition to steal sh**t doesn't mean that it suddenly becomes right.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2011, 10:35:33 PM »

People can be born with certain tendencies. Just because I'm born with some pre-disposition to steal sh**t doesn't mean that it suddenly becomes right.

And just because an old book says something is wrong doesn't make it wrong.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »

And just because an old book says something is wrong doesn't make it wrong.

But people do still have a right to believe it's wrong.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »

What, kids aren't allowed to say stupid things anymore?
Anyone who thinks you react this way to a kid instead of teaching them why they might be wrong really belongs in a different profession.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies