Al Gore 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:52:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Al Gore 2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Al Gore 2008  (Read 5547 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2004, 07:12:15 PM »

Ah so you would want the Democrats to nominate a man who is far from the party mainstream just so you can appeal to the masses. That is when I know the party system has failed. I wish both parties would just nominate people who support the views of their party not some moderate who has the best chance of winning.

I do not think that is healthy. I think we need cooperation.
You don't need to be a moderate to cooperate with one another. But I see what you mean.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2004, 07:50:22 PM »

- He received nearly half of the evangelical vote (side note: there are evangelical Democrats?)

Gore got 39% of the evangelical Christian vote in 2000, I don't know about Kerry yet, of course it does need to be asked how many of those are black and Hispanic...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2004, 09:04:24 AM »

Ah so you would want the Democrats to nominate a man who is far from the party mainstream just so you can appeal to the masses. That is when I know the party system has failed. I wish both parties would just nominate people who support the views of their party not some moderate who has the best chance of winning.

I dare say Democratic voters, as a whole, are moderate rather than liberal, which makes Bayh more representative of the Democratic electorate than many prominent liberals within the Democratic Party (hence Bayh is mainstream) Even Hillary is running to the centre, but Bayh's the more genuine article.

Moderates are the single largest plurality of the US electorate. The future of the Democratic Party lies in the ideological centre. My vision in one where a moderate majority governs in the interests of all Americans and not merely the left and the right

Dave
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2004, 01:04:14 PM »

I get so sick of the idea of a "political moderate."

Evan Bayh is a liberal. John McCain is a conservative. John Edwards is a far left Democrat. I have no problem with liberals, just as long as they have the guts to admit they are one.

There are no moderates, ever in U.S. history.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2004, 01:41:45 PM »

Evan Bayh is a liberal. John McCain is a conservative. John Edwards is a far left Democrat. I have no problem with liberals, just as long as they have the guts to admit they are one.

Funny, 45% of the electorate define themselves as ideological moderates. If there are no "moderates" then are you saying they must be moderately liberal or moderately conservative or are they merely suffering from some kind of 'false ideological consciousness'?

Ideology often flies contrary to common sense. When people speak of an the ideological centre its not a figment of their imagination

Politics is politics. There's is nothing black and white about it - just an infinite number of shades of grey

Dave
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »

For a Democrat Bayh is moderately liberal.  The 107th Senate was ranked based on 498 roll calls, Feingold ranked as the #1 Liberal and Bayh ranked 42nd most liberal.  (Hillary was 22nd, Zell Miller 52nd).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2004, 06:09:42 PM »

Evan Bayh is a liberal?
What sort of drugs are you on?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2004, 06:10:38 PM »

For a Democrat Bayh is moderately liberal.  The 107th Senate was ranked based on 498 roll calls, Feingold ranked as the #1 Liberal and Bayh ranked 42nd most liberal.  (Hillary was 22nd, Zell Miller 52nd).

In 1993, that would have put him more like 60th most liberal.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2004, 07:03:09 PM »

Bayh would do a solid competent job of running the country, and would be my biggest fear in a Democratic opponent.

But Gore...I just don't see it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies