AP: Rich pay WAY HIGHER % in taxes than middle class
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:04:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  AP: Rich pay WAY HIGHER % in taxes than middle class
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: AP: Rich pay WAY HIGHER % in taxes than middle class  (Read 2359 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

I just want to commend Jmfcst's signature. Great youtube clip.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »

Yes, Millionaires need to pay a higher share of their income than do poors. End of discussion.

Actually in a thread I created a few months backed up with data, the US has the most progressive income tax structure in the world - in fact the most progressive tax structure period in the world. It is the middle class that is the most dramatically "under-taxed,"  relative to other major industral democracies. But then you already knew that I suspect. This stuff about repealing the Bush tax cuts for the rich, or whatever the F Obama wants now in his new incarnation, is just noise. Maybe it is a fairness issue for some, but it certainly isn't very fiscally relevant.

What you showed is that the US has the richest richers in the world. But yes, the Bush tax cuts do need to go. All of them. They're as big a strain on the budget as any entitlement program. And even more stubborn.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 02:41:58 PM »

it's highly probable that the richest 10% pay MORE in terms of percentage of total income taxes collected than they did back in Ike's day.

How is that relevant?  It is only evidence that income is too concentrated.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 03:37:57 AM »

Shh, Richard! Keep your voice down, dear. If we can't afford a gardener, that's all the more reason why we should look as though we can afford a gardener. So in future, could you look like someone who enjoys doing his own gardening but could afford a gardener if he wanted to.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »

I'd like to think everyone here would agree that the lower left corner of that chart is a problem that needs to be fixed.  I'd be surprised if everyone agreed on the solution.  After all, if one lowered the hump that goes from 100-200/10th percentile to >1000/60th percentile, that would take care of the apparent inequity without having to raise the effective rates on those in the lower left corner.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies