Blue state turning red
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:51:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Blue state turning red
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which blue state is the most likely to turn red?
California
Connecticut
D.C.
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
New Jersey
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Blue state turning red  (Read 11836 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 03:06:16 PM »

I voted Wisconsin, clearly the trends will benefit the REP in another 10 years or so.  2nd choice, I picked Oregon, but the west part of the state (Portland area) will prevent that from happening anytime soon. That will counter balance east Oregon which votes much like Idaho.

You do realize Eastern Oregon contains 20% (or less depending on which counties you count) of the state population right? Most of those counties have flat/negative population growth and high unemployment rates. There's not a single city out there with more than 20,000 people in it.

Wait till gas prices hit $6/gallon. Eastern Oregon is dead.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 05:08:17 AM »

I voted Wisconsin, clearly the trends will benefit the REP in another 10 years or so.  2nd choice, I picked Oregon, but the west part of the state (Portland area) will prevent that from happening anytime soon. That will counter balance east Oregon which votes much like Idaho.

You do realize Eastern Oregon contains 20% (or less depending on which counties you count) of the state population right? Most of those counties have flat/negative population growth and high unemployment rates. There's not a single city out there with more than 20,000 people in it.

I think the bigger problem is the emerging population center there(Bend) is already tied politically without much of a minority presence. It makes sense that it would become even more democratic if it keeps growing. If you compare it to big cities in Eastern Washington that are large and still growing, they are either Republican strongholds(Tri-cities), a lot larger(Spokane), or dominated by minorities(Yakima).
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »

I think the bigger problem is the emerging population center there(Bend) is already tied politically without much of a minority presence. It makes sense that it would become even more democratic if it keeps growing. If you compare it to big cities in Eastern Washington that are large and still growing, they are either Republican strongholds(Tri-cities), a lot larger(Spokane), or dominated by minorities(Yakima).

While Bend is growing and is in Deschutes County (Deschutes County is in Central Oregon (basically Eastern Oregon-lite) and is the fastest growing county in Oregon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deschutes_County,_Oregon#Demographics), I don't think it will be a problem.

I think the city is going to top off at about ~175/225k people and become a swingish city. Kind of like Spokane, WA.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »

While Bend is growing and is in Deschutes County (Deschutes County is in Central Oregon (basically Eastern Oregon-lite) and is the fastest growing county in Oregon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deschutes_County,_Oregon#Demographics), I don't think it will be a problem.

I think the city is going to top off at about ~175/225k people and become a swingish city. Kind of like Spokane, WA.
Spokane metro is 600k, and only recently did Spokane county become swing. Bend is getting there with about 200k. Only other place in Eastern PNW that could do that is probably Yakima because it's majority hispanic(soon).
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »

i don't see why everyone is saying Wisconsin. Let's accept it for what it is: a swing, maybe slight blue state similar to New Mexico. 2010 was just an abnormally bad year. The state will always have somewhat of a progressive tradition, largely due to the Scandinavian population. After all, this is where the Charles LaFollettes and Gaylord Nelsons of the world came from.
Nichlemn

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »

i don't see why everyone is saying Wisconsin. Let's accept it for what it is: a swing, maybe slight blue state similar to New Mexico. 2010 was just an abnormally bad year. The state will always have somewhat of a progressive tradition, largely due to the Scandinavian population. After all, this is where the Charles LaFollettes and Gaylord Nelsons of the world came from.

Kansas had a progressive tradition once.

Also, it's impossible for every state to trend Democratic. Some states have to trending Republican, and Wisconsin seems like a logical choice.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »

Why is Michigan doing so poorly in this poll?  The factors in place now are awfully similar to western PA circa 1980s->present.  Michigan would be my choice FAR more than PA.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies