Jeb Bush in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:47:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Jeb Bush in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jeb Bush in 2008  (Read 3267 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2004, 07:06:46 PM »

What do you think are his prospects if he runs?

My thinking:
It all depends on what happens in the W. Bush administration in the next 4 years. If W. Bush's approval rating falls off a cliff (due to a continuing quagmire in Iraq or if it is found that the election really was stolen), then Jeb Bush is toast. If W. Bush manages to hold his own, Jeb has a chance, especially if the election really was stolen but nobody gets caught. Florida would be in the bag for Jeb. However, he'd fire up the Democratic opposition the way Hillary Clinton fires up the Republican opposition. If Jeb has at least as much charisma as his brother, he could win. If he doesn't, he's toast.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 08:56:48 PM »

Jeb would be the perfect candidate...if he weren't a Bush.

1)  Floridian
2)  A Governor
3)  Relatively Conservative
4)  Charismatic
5)  Well-spoken
6)  Catholic
7)  Has strong Hispanic support

If Hillary runs, the Clinton effect cancels the Bush effect, and Jeb cruises to victory.

In the end, if Bush appeals to the voters more than the Democrat, that's what's going to matter.  Not accusations of nepotism.

Note that George should not campaign for his brother.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 07:15:59 PM »

I also Think it is up to His Brother and his next term. But even though he said he will not run, I do not think he has ruled it out at all. But if he has I think he is planning a run sometime in his life.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 07:18:42 PM »

1)  Floridian
2)  A Governor
4)  Charismatic
5)  Well-spoken
6)  Catholic

You are correct. I would probably love to have Jeb for a candidate in 2008 but I don't like the fact he's a Bush, It rings too close to dynasty for me...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 07:25:16 PM »

I'm sure Democrats would love to point out that this would mean 16 years of Bushes for the past 24 years.

I know I would.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 07:39:56 PM »

McCain/Bush the perfect team for 2008.
McCain solidifies the SW: AZ, NM, NV, CO
He draws independent swing voters in IA, WI, OH, PA, MN, maybe MI, ME, and OR
Bush solidifes the conservative Base and FL and brings in the Bush Money machine.
Nothing left for Hilliary
skybridge
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 10:12:18 AM »

1)  Floridian
2)  A Governor
4)  Charismatic
5)  Well-spoken
6)  Catholic

You are correct. I would probably love to have Jeb for a candidate in 2008 but I don't like the fact he's a Bush, It rings too close to dynasty for me...

How paradox: A Bush supporter worried about a dynasty.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 10:34:44 AM »

1)  Floridian
2)  A Governor
4)  Charismatic
5)  Well-spoken
6)  Catholic

How paradox: A Bush supporter worried about a dynasty.

You assume too much.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 04:49:26 PM »

I don't want Hillary Clinton & I don't want Jeb Bush.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 06:01:45 PM »

Jeb Bush?
*puke*
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 09:04:09 PM »

Jeb doesn't want to be president although he'd beat Hillary.  But then, any Republican can do that.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 09:06:34 PM »

Alan Keyes would lose to Hillary in a landslide. And maybe a couple convicted felons.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 09:21:16 PM »

Ha.  Forgot about Keyes.  The convicted felons would probably be even money.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 11:01:49 PM »

JFRAUD?  The stuff that is *puked* up.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 11:18:01 PM »

First, J.E. Bush has one the main attributes for a presidential candidate of either party; he is a governor.  He has a second advantage; the state that he is governor of is large and ethnically diverse.  He was also re-elected by a large margin.

Second, J.E. Bush has gotten exceptionally good press, expecially with hurricane relieve and possibly tsunami relief.

Bush, however, has ruled out a run in 2008.  There will be a Senate up in 2006, and he has not ruled out running for that.  In 2012, he will turn 59 years old, about the same age a Nixon in 1968.  I would not be to surprised to see a run in 2012 or 2016.

There is also the possibility that J.E. Bush would be on the ticket in 2008 as the VP candidate.  That might be more likely, especially if he is in the Senate.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 12:25:36 AM »

Unfortunately, I also heard [but cannot confirm as I do not remember where I saw the article] that he wasn't running for Senate either.

Sad

Until I hear it out of the horse's mouth sometime after the '06 midterms, I'm not taking Jeb from my sig.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 12:27:03 AM »

He'd be a great candidate, if he wasn't a Bush.  I don't know if I could vote for a Bush again, like Andrew said, it reeks of dynasty too much.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 01:05:54 AM »

He'd be a great candidate, if he wasn't a Bush.  I don't know if I could vote for a Bush again, like Andrew said, it reeks of dynasty too much.

I'm going to note that in the last eight elections, there has been either a Bush or a Dole on the national GOP  ticket.   In spite of this, the Bushes won 5 out of 6 times.

I'm also going to note that in Democratic side, it was very likely that Robert Kennedy would have won the nomination (and quite possibly the presidency), in 1968.  In 1980, Ted Kennedy was at least a credible challenger to Jimmy Carter.

If the governor of FL had the last name Smith, and all other things were even, he'd be someone that we'd all be talking about.

There is a lot of possibility in J. E. Bush in the future.  He's ruled out 2008, but I see the Senate or the VP slot as exceptionally credible.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 03:47:06 AM »

First of all, the 2004 election was not "stolen", never was, never will be.  It was a clear win for George W.

Personally, I think Jeb would make a fine President, but I doubt whether the public would really go for 16 straight years of  Bush's in the White House.

However, Jeb does have the qualities needed in a President.

How about Jeb in 2008 and 2012 and George Prescott Bush in 2016 and 2020?  Talk about a dynasty!

A revolution started in Massachusetts already freed us from one King George. Don't think that we won't do it again.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 03:50:30 AM »

First of all, the 2004 election was not "stolen", never was, never will be.  It was a clear win for George W.

Personally, I think Jeb would make a fine President, but I doubt whether the public would really go for 16 straight years of  Bush's in the White House.

However, Jeb does have the qualities needed in a President.

How about Jeb in 2008 and 2012 and George Prescott Bush in 2016 and 2020?  Talk about a dynasty!

A revolution started in Massachusetts already freed us from one King George. Don't think that we won't do it again.

You wish to freed from George Washington, jFRAUD.

I am overjoyed that we are free of George McGovern, however.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 10:48:20 PM »

I don't want Jeb Bush to be President, but I don't understand the "dynasty" issue.

What difference does it make that he's related to other Presidents?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 12:07:23 AM »

There is the idea that somehow the will of the people, as expressed though constitutional means, should be counted if it chooses members of one family.  I don't get it either.

J E Bush will be judged on where he stands on issues and his record, expect by those, like jFRAUD, who are looking for excuses to forward their political agendas.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 02:33:47 PM »

If Jeb Bush ran for the nomination, won, then went on to win the election, I would be very worried indeed.  He is probably the most ethically challenged of the entire Bush clan.

Back in 1995 just after the Oklahoma City bombing, Bush refused to renounce his parish priest's assertions that the bombing was "God's way of punishing our society for allowing more liberal attitudes towards women and gays".  OK so the words didn't come from Bush himself, but he could have at least tried to be statesman-like about the priest's comments, in preparation for a second bid at running for governor.

While serving as governor, Jeb called for harsh punishment of nonviolent drug offenders, and actively opposed a ballot initiative that would send them into treatment instead.  At the same time, Jeb's daughter Noelle was admitted to rehab for a drug addiction, with no criminal charges.

In October 2002, the Miami Herald reported on Bush's involvement in a questionable Nigerian deal, where money was allegedly used to bribe government officials for approval of a $74 million water pump sale that was mostly financed by US foreign aid.

I have a feeling that if Bush did try and run for president, these little indiscretions might come back and bite Ol' Jebby in the ass.

(By the way, I stole those facts from Wikipedia.  Take a look for yourself.)
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 01:07:45 AM »

Hilary will force the evangelicans back to the polls if she wins... so it really doesn't matter if Jeb's a Bush or not, if she runs, he wins.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 01:19:38 AM »

Jeb would not win a general election in 2008. Coming right after his brother... that would just be too much for most people to swallow. But the scenario changes if Hillary is the Dem nominee. Then we'd see a close race, and almost certainly a Bush victory.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies