Most Ignored State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:16:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most Ignored State
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What is the overall most ignored state?
North Dakota

South Dakota

Nebraska

Montana

Wyoming

Idaho

Alaska

New Hampshire

Rhode Island

Maine

Arkansas

Delaware

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Most Ignored State  (Read 9422 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 10:03:23 PM »

Don't hate on Wyoming. Wyoming is one of the best places in the world.

Delaware still takes the prize. I've changed my icon in protest.

Have you ever been to Wyoming? The Wyoming I went to was a heckhole.
Cashcow

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 10:04:59 PM »

I go to Jackson Hole, WY every other summer. It is an amazing place.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 10:07:07 PM »

I go to Jackson Hole, WY every other summer. It is an amazing place.

Ah, yes, Jackson Hole is cool...but the rest of the state is...eek.
danwxman

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2004, 11:55:28 PM »

North Dakota's fairly ignored, but it's almost famous for being so. A lot of the other state's listed have at least one well known thing about them, Nebraska has the Cornhuskers for example. Delaware would seem to be a good choice, but Delaware has DuPont. The most ignored state is Rhode Island. No big sports teams, no big politicians, no major attractions, no natural wonders, no large cities. The only thing remotely interesting is that it is the smallest state. Other than that Rhode Island is a complete nonentity

Umm, no large cities??? What about Providence? That's bigger then any city in the Dakotas.
Cashcow

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2004, 11:57:46 PM »

Yes, Providence is the second-largest city in New England. There's also Block Island to explore, I guess. Tongue
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2004, 12:42:32 AM »

North Dakota's fairly ignored, but it's almost famous for being so. A lot of the other state's listed have at least one well known thing about them, Nebraska has the Cornhuskers for example. Delaware would seem to be a good choice, but Delaware has DuPont. The most ignored state is Rhode Island. No big sports teams, no big politicians, no major attractions, no natural wonders, no large cities. The only thing remotely interesting is that it is the smallest state. Other than that Rhode Island is a complete nonentity

The Patriots are closer to Providence than they are to Boston.  Providence is a actually a nice city.  I lived there for four years while I was going to school.  It has its crappy run down areas as well but it has really come along.  Read up on ex mayor Buddy Cianci-the guy was a crook but tremendously entertaining.  You also have Pat and Linc Chafee and Claiborne Pell (Pell grants) was from R.I.  The whole Naragansett bay area is very pretty and you also have Newport and the aforementioned Block Island.  I like the Ocean State- it beats Delaware in my opinion.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2004, 02:40:04 AM »

I voted DE.  Basically it's almost completely in the Phila media market and everytime a candidate gets on local TV here, they are campaigning in DE.  Tho don't have to enter the state to campaign.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2004, 11:16:05 AM »

The Patriots are closer to Providence than they are to Boston.  Providence is a actually a nice city.  I lived there for four years while I was going to school.  It has its crappy run down areas as well but it has really come along.  Read up on ex mayor Buddy Cianci-the guy was a crook but tremendously entertaining.  You also have Pat and Linc Chafee and Claiborne Pell (Pell grants) was from R.I.  The whole Naragansett bay area is very pretty and you also have Newport and the aforementioned Block Island.  I like the Ocean State- it beats Delaware in my opinion.

Not to mention Ferdinand St Germain, the man who singlehandedly engineered the late 80s savings and loan collapse
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2004, 01:41:32 PM »

Delawhere?
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2004, 08:30:59 PM »

Al made a funny Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2004, 02:12:59 AM »

Delaware can't possibly be the most ignored state because of all the attention it's getting on this thread Smiley

Besides, isn't Joe Biden from Delaware? He's a decently well-known senator, right? And whether it's because I'm from Maryland or not, I know Ruth Ann Minner is the recently re-elected governor there. And I also know it's where a lot of companies choose to incorporate, and that it's dominated by the northern Wilmington county, a fact which has been discussed on this site before.

I'll agree with Bono and Bob... Idaho has its Mike Crapo, North Dakota is Byron Dorgan, Montana is Judy Martz, Nebraska its Cornhuskers, while not distinctly political, still a team of distinction. Wyoming has nothing.
Uh - Dick Cheney?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2004, 05:03:55 AM »

That's because it was the first state.....

Delaware is really boring. It might as well just not exist. However, I'd like to spend a day there just to say I've explored Delaware (it's only a 40-minute drive from here).

What did Deleware?
Her New Jersey!

You probably hear that one all the time.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2004, 05:03:08 PM »

Delaware has to be. Closely followed by Idaho and Alaska.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »

Delaware has to be. Closely followed by Idaho and Alaska.

I don't think Delaware is that ignored politically.  The governor's race was close.  Alaska isn't ignored that much either with the senate and governer's race. 
Math
math
France

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2004, 08:11:57 AM »

Delaware. I'm French, and i'm sure that 99,9% of french people ignore the difference between Delaware and peanuts...
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2004, 11:25:46 AM »

I said Rhode Island. As per DE, I dont think its the most ignored. I worked as a volunteer in the primary season for John Kerry in DE and he had a good operation going there. However, he was teh only candidate to actively seek the nomination there.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2005, 02:52:04 PM »

I would have voted for California.  I often forget about it completely, 'cos we never seem to hear anything about it.
Lt. Gov. Immy
Immy

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2005, 03:40:27 PM »

I'd have to say Idaho guys. Not a single close federal race in the last three cycles, no large media markets, and I saw more comercials for Gregoire and Rossie then anyone running in Idaho.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »

I'd have to say Idaho guys. Not a single close federal race in the last three cycles, no large media markets, and I saw more comercials for Gregoire and Rossie then anyone running in Idaho.

Yeah, but the margin of victory in Idaho in the 2004 presidential election was 38.1%.  In this example, it was ignored pretty much because it was known to be a sure thing.  Delaware on the other hand was only won by 7.5%, closer than the margin in New Jersey.  I saw multiple Republicans mention New Jersey as a possible Bush pickup.  However, Delaware was also theoretically within Bush's reach.  Did he care?  Did anyone mention Delaware for one second?  Do you ever see anyone ever mention Delaware under any circumstances?

I rest my case. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2005, 05:18:21 PM »

Add the fact that Delaware is only worth 3 EVs, compared to 15 for New Jersey, so it probably wasn't worth Bush even trying.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2005, 05:28:57 PM »

The bulk of DE's population is in the Northern part of the state, which is in the Phila media market.  When a candidate gets on Ohila TV, he's in DE.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2005, 05:32:04 PM »

Add the fact that Delaware is only worth 3 EVs, compared to 15 for New Jersey, so it probably wasn't worth Bush even trying.

If Bush didn't win NH's 4 EVs, he would have lost the 2000 election. 3 EVs could be just as important. But I understand your statement. The more EVs taken away from the opponent, the better.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2005, 07:06:54 PM »

Yes, the Chafees and Pell are somewhat famous, but of the original 13 states, Rhode Island is still the only one to never have a resident receive an electoral vote of any kind (Delaware's Daniel Rodney received 4 votes for vice-president in 1820)
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2005, 04:44:51 PM »

I went with Rhode Island... the county I live in is bigger than that. Not a lot of persuading to do.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies