What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:18:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders?  (Read 11740 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: September 19, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »

Wow, I'm surprised Palestine is more popular in the U.S. than it is in Latin America, India, or Russia.

As for India, Israel's cause is actually very popular with Hindu nationalists. When the BJP was in power from 1998-2004, Israeli and Indian relations got better by leaps and bounds. Some think it was why the US started to get closer to India as well.

Not to mention some think Israel should be able to do what they want just as India should be able to do what it wants in Kashmir. Also there were a lot who weren't sure so keep that in mind as well.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2011, 02:35:48 PM by sbane »

since when is it illegal to gain land by war?  isn't that how most land was gained in the past?

Why should the USA support Israel though. Maybe we should support the Palestinians instead? That would sort things out real quick.

Oh btw the land belongs to Israel only in your biblical wet dream. Most of the world doesn't agree with you. Deal with it!

Although the Hindu and obviously Jewish fundies do agree with you Christian fundies. Maybe ya'll should get together and have a party!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »

since when is it illegal to gain land by war?  isn't that how most land was gained in the past?
Oh btw the land belongs to Israel only in your biblical wet dream. Most of the world doesn't agree with you. Deal with it!

Oh, I've already come to terms with it, but you're the one who is going to have to deal with it.

Deal with what? The more the Israelis overplay their hand, the more likely they are to meet a horrible end later on. And it's quite hard to feel sympathy for a country that illegally keeps on taking more and more land in the form of settlements. The world has turned against Israel, and the US is soon going to be either unwilling or unable to do anything about it. And if Israel tries to make it a partisan issue in the US, the sooner their demise will be.

And before anyone comes in charging me with anti-semitism, please explain to me why I should put Israelis over Palestinians. They are both humans, am I correct? Feel free to correct me. Is an Israeli life worth more than a Palestinian one?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:01:39 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 04:05:20 AM by sbane »

Wow, I'm surprised Palestine is more popular in the U.S. than it is in Latin America, India, or Russia.

As for India, Israel's cause is actually very popular with Hindu nationalists. When the BJP was in power from 1998-2004, Israeli and Indian relations got better by leaps and bounds.

Yeah I remember some Hindu nationalist site that had an odd tribute to "Rabbi" Kahane on it. But it's not that surprising if you think about it, Hindu nationalists hate Muslims and Christians, so does Israel.

It's still a little odd, but yes both groups hate Muslims so it makes sense. Christians...I am not sure Israel is that anti-Christian, and as for Hindu nationalists their main problem is with conversions, which is probably the reason why they are fine with Jews and don't have a problem with them living in India since they don't try to convert anyone. Any attacks on Christians are almost always in tribal areas and perpetrated by the members of said tribes who join the Hindu nationalist movement to defend their culture. Also sometimes Dalits are attacked by local landlords when they convert under the cover of Hindu nationalism. I don't think there has ever been attacks on Christians in the cities where there is a decent population of Anglo-Indians, who have been Christians for a while now. As well as no attacks in Kerala or in Goa, where there are large Christian communities but have been living there for a very long time, in the case of Kerala almost 2,000 years. IIRC one of the two parliamentary seats in Goa was held by the BJP not so long ago. And they ran the state government for 5 years. Muslims are hated indiscriminately though......
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:24:47 AM »

Of course that sort of thing is far less common in the south anyway.

I guess Orissa is a northern state too. I would say 80-90% of attacks on Christians happen in that state and the tribal areas adjoining the state.

As for Muslims, yes most attacks happen in the north. West India doesn't like to get left behind though, as we know all too well. Bengal is pretty peaceful, considering how large the Muslim population is there. Assam on the other hand.....
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:49:04 AM »

Of course that sort of thing is far less common in the south anyway.

I guess Orissa is a northern state too. I would say 80-90% of attacks on Christians happen in that state and the tribal areas adjoining the state.

As for Muslims, yes most attacks happen in the north. West India doesn't like to get left behind though, as we know all too well. Bengal is pretty peaceful, considering how large the Muslim population is there. Assam on the other hand.....

Yeah, religious strife has for the most part not been an issue in Bengali history, especially when compared with other parts of India. The partition of Bengal was the greatest crime of decolonization. In Assam the Hindus are Assamese and the Muslims Bengali, so that there's an ethnic dimension to what looks like religious unrest.

Certainly ethnicity plays a role there. In Assam basically if you are a Bengali Muslim you vote INC or maybe AIFB if you live out in Dhubri district, which is majority Muslim. Assamese vote AGP, with Assamese Muslims being the swing vote. Bengali Hindus vote either INC or BJP. That's why BJP only wins in Guwahati, and their vote totals are consistently high there. They will never vote for the AGP, and why a AGP-BJP coalition will always be weak.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies