What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:31:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: What if Abbas succeeds and UN recognizes Palestine within pre1967 borders?  (Read 11765 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »

Read while watching bad films from the 1980s, no doubt.

I would think most of my quotes come from movies of the 70's, no?

It is true your taste in films is far better than your taste in reading material.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »

Read while watching bad films from the 1980s, no doubt.

I would think most of my quotes come from movies of the 70's, no?

It is true your taste in films is far better than your taste in reading material.

There's nothing wrong with jmfcst's taste in reading material, it's just his excessively narrow interpretation that's problematic.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »

There's nothing wrong with jmfcst's taste in reading material, it's just his excessively narrow interpretation that's problematic.

if Jesus said the "abomination of desolation" will be set up in Jerusalem and hereld the end of the age and the Second Coming, then that is exactly what is going to occur.

why does that even need an interpretation?  Are you confused exactly what the "abomination of desolation" will be?  So am I, but just because we don't current know what it is going to be, doesn't mean it aint gonna happen just as he said it would.

so, that is just it - I haven't "interpreted" anything, I've just been letting the word speak for itself

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »

if Jesus said the "abomination of desolation" will be set up in Jerusalem and hereld the end of the age and the Second Coming, then that is exactly what is going to occur.

why does that even need an interpretation?  Are you confused exactly what the "abomination of desolation" will be?  So am I, but just because we don't current know what it is going to be, doesn't mean it aint gonna happen just as he said it would.

so, that is just it - I haven't "interpreted" anything, I've just been letting the word speak for itself

Literal interpretation is still a form of interpretation. The Bible also says that the Roman and Babylonian Empires will be involved.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »

Literal interpretation is still a form of interpretation...

Jesus:  Yo, Nathan, buddy, please pass me the salt.

Nathan:  Here you go, my Lord, here's pepper.

Jesus:  Nathan, remember how I promised to throw you in the lake of fire last?

Nathan:  Yes, my Lord, you did.

Jesus:  You misinterpreted, for the First shall be Last, and the Last shall be First!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »

...Could we leave the great real estate agent in the sky out of the argument, please?

It's the core of the argument.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »

...Could we leave the great real estate agent in the sky out of the argument, please?

It's the core of the argument.

It might be to you, but then no one here actually cares what you think anyway.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »

Typical bias from the left towards the Palestinian Muslims. In the end my view will be vindicated. Why should Israel concede land when the Palestinian Muslims should be admitted as citizens with full rights in Jordan? Offer the Christians full Israeli citizen rights in the process.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »

Typical bias from the left towards the Palestinian Muslims. In the end my view will be vindicated. Why should Israel concede land when the Palestinian Muslims should be admitted as citizens with full rights in Jordan? Offer the Christians full Israeli citizen rights in the process.

You really are a nitwit.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »

That is, of course, absolutely idiotic.  There's not an ounce of logic in there.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »

Interpretation comes in assuming that the State of Israel has anything to do with the fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy that is referred to in Matthew and Mark.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »

Literal interpretation is still a form of interpretation...

Jesus:  Yo, Nathan, buddy, please pass me the salt.

Nathan:  Here you go, my Lord, here's pepper.

Jesus:  Nathan, remember how I promised to throw you in the lake of fire last?

Nathan:  Yes, my Lord, you did.

Jesus:  You misinterpreted, for the First shall be Last, and the Last shall be First!

...you really don't understand the point of what I was saying at all, do you?

Biblical prophecy is so frequently and flagrantly metaphorical that attempting to interpret it politically actively distracts one from salvation.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »

Let's just assume for a moment that the NT passage can be interpreted literally and refers to the Roman siege of Jerusalem in 70 AD and/or the establishment of the cult of Jupiter there by Hadrian sixty years later. 

So then, what do we do about a Palestinian state?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »

The most amusing part is the idea that Christians would want to be assimilated into an Israeli state.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »

Biblical prophecy is so frequently and flagrantly metaphorical that attempting to interpret it politically actively distracts one from salvation.

1) that's a very stupid and unfounded statement, not backed by anything in scripture

2) whose being politically active?  I'm an armchair observer.

3) blessing Israel is a stance for a person to take in ALL ages, regardless if you lived in 500BC or 2011 AD....as the multitude of examples throughout the bible, both OT and NT, demonstrate.

but, go ahead, if you want to curse Israel and wish her harm, more power to you.  God will straighten it out in the end
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »

So you advocate for stealing Palestinian land and property a second time??
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »

The most amusing part is the idea that Christians would want to be assimilated into an Israeli state.

Even more amusing is the idea that Israeli state would want to assimilate Christians. Christians are worse than Muslims: at least, Muslims are monotheist.

This guy is talking about the state that considers conversion to Christianity to be grounds for denying citizenship rights to those otherwise eligible.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 10:43:28 PM by Nathan »

1) that's a very stupid and unfounded statement, not backed by anything in scripture

Why, no. Scripture DOESN'T say anything explicit about how its own prophecies are to be interpreted. Thanks for noticing. But consider that most of the prophecies that Christ fulfilled He fulfilled through things like synecdoche (Rachel weeping in Rama) or puns (nazirite/Nazarene). Always remember that the Bible was, contrary to popular belief among Christians and non-Christians alike, actually put together by very smart people.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The 'actively' modifies 'distracts', not 'politically'.

The thing is, the current State of Israel was founded by mostly secular people on romantic nationalist, not religious, ideals, and many of the most devout Jews opposed and oppose it precisely on religious grounds (because the Messiah hasn't come yet in their view/hasn't come again in our view). This is a matter of historical and sociological record. The actual Israel is the collective tribe of the Jewish people, most of whom still live in places other than the modern, secular nation-state of the same name, from whom I am descended and towards whom bear no ill will whatsoever. Indeed, I bear the State of Israel no ill will either. Thinking that it should stop aggressively expanding doesn't constitute ill will towards it. So unless you're also of partial Jewish descent and have relatives who were unceremoniously pogrom'd, shut up about Israel, please.

Even more amusing is the idea that Israeli state would want to assimilate Christians. Christians are worse than Muslims: at least, Muslims are monotheist.

This guy is talking about the state that considers conversion to Christianity to be grounds for denying citizenship rights to those otherwise eligible.

How many times do I have to point out that the vast majority of Christians in the area are considered and identify as PALESTINIANS?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2011, 10:46:14 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 10:49:28 PM by As Afterwards The Words Still Ring »

As I as noted before, it's no question that Israel is an extreme anti-Christian country. You know how conservatives describe the government in the US as hating Christians? Well that's what Israel's regime is. Israel has certainly butchered far more Christians than Iran.

Also I find the "God promised the land to the Jews" thing pretty ridiculous:

Quote from: Restricted
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2011, 10:51:56 PM »

link
meanwhile link
Anybody that is for this current push for recognition going to touch either of these?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »

BTW here's a more modern translation as well:

Quote from: Restricted

The land belongs to those who believe in Jesus Christ, not the fascist regime of Netanyahu.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »

To the one who doesnt think Christians are monotheist, we are. We happen to believe in the G-d of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob (Israel) where our primary difference is over Yeshuah (Jesus). I and all Christians believe Yeshuah is the messiah the Jewish people have been looking for.

It's time to encourage Jordan to expand civil rights and offer full citizenship rights even to Christians. Quit asking Israel to give up more land the country won in war for a false peace.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »

To the one who doesnt think Christians are monotheist, we are. We happen to believe in the G-d of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob (Israel) where our primary difference is over Yeshuah (Jesus). I and all Christians believe Yeshuah is the messiah the Jewish people have been looking for.

But neither Muslims or Jews believe that. They consider Christians polytheist.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »

Why, no. Scripture DOESN'T say anything explicit about how its own prophecies are to be interpreted. Thanks for noticing. But consider that most of the prophecies that Christ fulfilled He fulfilled through things like synecdoche (Rachel weeping in Rama) or puns (nazirite/Nazarene). Always remember that the Bible was, contrary to popular belief among Christians and non-Christians alike, actually put together by very smart people.

Sure the bible sometimes uses allegories, but other times it speaks directly, example:

Luke 21:20 ““When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near.”

There is NO ALLEGORY in the above sentence, therefore no interpretation is needed other than taking it for face value.  Duh!

---

The 'actively' modifies 'distracts', not 'politically'.

You’re boring me.

---

The thing is, the current State of Israel was founded by mostly secular people on romantic nationalist, not religious, ideals, and many of the most devout Jews opposed and oppose it precisely on religious…

And why, exactly, does that make a hill of beans?!  Are they contending that Israel can’t be partially reconstructed before the whole thing is brought back together by God?  If they want to make a scriptural argument against its reformation, then I am willing to listen, though it’s a pretty safe bet they themselves are full of beans, because there is NOTHING in scripture that stands against a partial gathering before God completely regathers the Jews in the promised land
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2011, 12:06:28 AM »

And Islamic Palestinians don't get an opportunity for Israeli rights like the Christians because...

Luke 21:20 ““When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near.”

What a profound sentence.  What's next? When it rains, things get wet?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies