NFL 2011 Season Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:21:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  NFL 2011 Season Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29
Author Topic: NFL 2011 Season Discussion  (Read 48123 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »

The Bills are a pretty good team and you guys played them well in their house.  There is no such thing as a "quality loss", but it's better than losing at home to a division rival.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »

but it's better than losing at home to a division rival.

Give us time! We'll cross that one off the list soon! Oh, wait. We did that earlier this season.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »

I remember thinking this summer that Philly teams were good enough to win 3 out of 4 major sports championships. But then insert Chris Carpenter and Michael Vick.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »

I remember thinking this summer that Philly teams were good enough to win 3 out of 4 major sports championships. But then insert Chris Carpenter and Michael Vick.

Chris Carpenter isn't the reason why we haven't been able to hit for awhile and Vick isn't the reason why we have blown several games. Four interceptions didn't help today but there were plenty of bigger mistakes.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »

Chris Carpenter isn't the reason why we haven't been able to hit for awhile and Vick isn't the reason why we have blown several games. Four interceptions didn't help today but there were plenty of bigger mistakes.

Vick could have played better...certainly, so could have Avant...but the real problem is the coaching regime...I'm not sure if Castillo is a symptom or the disease...but Reid is a mega virus.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »

Jets/Lions Romo can show up every week and I'd still take him over Vick and that $100 mil salary.

You are aware Vick's only going to get about 4/10 of that $100 million, right?

Excuse King for the excessive stupidity. He doesn't know any better.

$40 mil is still about $41 mil too much for Ron Mexico.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »

Not a good sign when I am more confident in our overrated defense and special teams' ability to score points than our offense.

Shottenheimer is terrible and Sanchez is regressing.
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »

DEM 49ERS
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:11 PM »

Drive-by Thoughts:

1) Tennessee reengages my previous doubts about their success, but this game was lost at the defensive end not on offense.  Pittsburgh, in order to even think about making the playoffs, must return to the run game, especially straight-ahead running.
2) Carolina is losing a lot of close games.  If Cam Newton can keep healthy and put his head on a bit straighter (i.e. improve completion percentage), Carolina will be a team to reckon with in the future.  New Orleans yet again proves today why they are a Super Bowl contender.
3) And the Texans prove why they are not.  Raiders won this one on special teams though (and probably Al Davis grit - I would have never bet against them after they lost him); they lost the battle on both sides of the ball though.  Texans had a lot of injuries today that they better hope are not serious, otherwise, they'll be 3-3 going to Tennessee.
4) The Bills are for real and the Eagles are not.  Of course, Andy Reid may well run off 11 in a row before he finally gets fired next year. (100 points to anyone who gets this reference - it's really obscure)
5) Minnesota finally played the second half today.  Sorta.
6) One has gotta wonder if Indianapolis is just starting to throw games to get Andrew Luck.  They are definitely in the driver's seat now after today's collapse.  Of course, getting Luck isn't going to change their godawful defense, but, well...
7) You see, the Giants impress you, then they do something like today.  Eli played like he was still in high school.
Cool Tampa Bay is an example of a team that overachieves.  But sometimes after Monday night games, you put up efforts like today.  I really questioned the 49ers in preseason, but they're only a Tony Romo miracle effort (the good miracles) from being 5-0.  Next week, we'll see what they're really made of, but they're clearly much better than anyone else in that division (not saying very much), although Alex Smith still leaves a lot to be desired.
9) Another day, another unimpressive win from Norv.  How you do almost let Tim Tebow engineer a 16-point comeback in the last 9 minutes of a game?  Well, if it's Norv Turner, we know the answer.
10) New England has to return to the ground game in order to beat teams like the Jets.  Meanwhile, are the Jets ever going to fire Brian Schottenheimer?
I normally do eleven, but there's really nothing of interest for me to say about CIN-JAC except "look, Cincy is above .500, and Andy Dalton has some clutch ability."
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2011, 10:43:20 PM »

The reason why is obvious:

Things haven't been this good since the days of Jeff Garcia.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »

2) Carolina is losing a lot of close games.  If Cam Newton can keep healthy and put his head on a bit straighter (i.e. improve completion percentage), Carolina will be a team to reckon with in the future.  New Orleans yet again proves today why they are a Super Bowl contender.

I think that's pretty likely, long term.  Newton strikes me as someone who will get better with age; he's not even halfway through his first NFL season and has already had solid games.  I'll give expect Carolina to be at least 11-5 by 2013/2014.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »

Seeing the 49ers win like that was amazing. Just amazing. Cheesy

Of course, we're up against the Lions next... that is very worrying. But at this point, I think that we actually might win the NFC West. Of course, the NFC West is filled with pathetic teams, but this type of thing just makes me swell with pride.

And poor Eagles. My friend was telling me just a few weeks ago how they were a shoo-in to make the playoffs.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »

I never realized how similar Alex Smith looks to Aaron Rodgers.  Maybe that's what caused the 49ers to accidentally take him instead.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »

Jets/Lions Romo can show up every week and I'd still take him over Vick and that $100 mil salary.

Do you watch games? Or do you just enjoy saying things that sound clever inside your head?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »

Do you watch games? Or do you just enjoy saying things that sound clever inside your head?

You can tell contract details from games? If so, I'd like to see some guesses on what Albert Haynesworth Redskins contract was.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »

My point is Tony Romo is better than Michael Vick.  I know this as I watch games.
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2011, 06:33:13 PM »

I never realized how similar Alex Smith looks to Aaron Rodgers.  Maybe that's what caused the 49ers to accidentally take him instead.

-_______- Alex Smith is a bust
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »

I can't believe you're making such a bold statement!
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2011, 06:52:23 PM »

I can't believe you're making such a bold statement!

Thanks for noticing! Cheesy
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »

Alex Smith has actually been a decent player the past three years.  He's not a franchise QB, but a team with a good run game and defense can win with him.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »

Alex Smith is average. His problem is that his coaching has been almost uniformly awful. He was good the one year they had Norv Turner.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »

Jets trade Derrick Mason to the Texans.

My response? http://youtu.be/bYNwfq84hJU
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »

placed bets on Atlanta -4, +100 and Bears -3, +100
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »

In my pick 'em this week, I've got a couple pretty suprising upsets.  One is the Buccaneers over the Saints, another is the Panthers over the Falcons, and a third is the Cowboys over the Patriots.

My reasoning behind these three upsets are as follows:

The Saints has trouble with Carolina last week and Tampa Bay is a better team than Carolina.  The game is in Florida, and I think Drew Brees and Co. will suffer their second loss of the season.

The Panthers are an improved team this year behind Cam Newton, and the Falcons are not the same team that won the NFC South in 2010.

With the Cowboys over the Patriots.  If the good Tony Romo shows up (i.e. Redskins and 49ers Romo) and with Miles Austin returning, they should be able to light up the weak pass rush of the Patriots.  It will be a shootout if that happens.  If the bad Tony Romo shows up (I.e. Jets and Lions), then it could get real ugly real quick.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »

In my pick 'em this week, I've got a couple pretty suprising upsets.  One is the Buccaneers over the Saints, another is the Panthers over the Falcons, and a third is the Cowboys over the Patriots.

My reasoning behind these three upsets are as follows:

The Saints has trouble with Carolina last week and Tampa Bay is a better team than Carolina.  The game is in Florida, and I think Drew Brees and Co. will suffer their second loss of the season.

The Panthers are an improved team this year behind Cam Newton, and the Falcons are not the same team that won the NFC South in 2010.

With the Cowboys over the Patriots.  If the good Tony Romo shows up (i.e. Redskins and 49ers Romo) and with Miles Austin returning, they should be able to light up the weak pass rush of the Patriots.  It will be a shootout if that happens.  If the bad Tony Romo shows up (I.e. Jets and Lions), then it could get real ugly real quick.

K. Thx Babbit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies