Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 11:33:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech  (Read 6527 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »

This really should have been the speech that he should have been making for the past three years. What took so long?

In fact, I'd say it's the best speech he's given since '04.

Easy does it, Chris. Easy...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »

I didn't see him ever mention inheriting someone else's recession or mention Bush...which is always a big talking point on the pubbie message boards.  So, that's a plus.

2 1/2 years in, it would be a joke.  

Further, unemployment has risen under Obama.  On Election Day 2008, it was 6.60% (10/08).  On Election Day 2012 it will probably be around 9%.  I don't think he wants that comparison made.  And yes, it is a bit unfair since the economy was contracting and unemployment would rise.  Just looking at the raw numbers, however, Bush looks better able to handle the economy.

Ironically, Obama helped prevent deflation, which economically was good.  It was probably the worse problem in 2009.  I can't see any political mileage in him saying, "I kept prices up.  Vote for me!"
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »

This really should have been the speech that he should have been making for the past three years. What took so long?

In fact, I'd say it's the best speech he's given since '04.

Easy does it, Chris. Easy...

Evaluating a performance now equates with unabashed fanboy-ism?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »

Is it correct that Obama will be the first president since Hoover to have more jobs lost during his term than created?
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »

Well, slightly more jobs were lost during Bush's first term than created, though he made up for it in his second term so over his Presidency more jobs were created than lost.

Obama would be the first President since Hoover to have more jobs lost during his Presidency if he is defeated in 2012, and possibly if he is re-elected.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »

A load of ppl i talked to from the "Left and Right" agree and love this plan.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2011, 06:15:30 PM by Politico »

Well, slightly more jobs were lost during Bush's first term than created, though he made up for it in his second term so over his Presidency more jobs were created than lost.

Obama would be the first President since Hoover to have more jobs lost during his Presidency if he is defeated in 2012, and possibly if he is re-elected.

Here's the thing, though: I thought Bush just BARELY managed to have more jobs created in his first term than lost (And, unfortunately, obviously a much better record than Obama's no matter what happens between now and  November 2012). I remember that being a key part of Kerry's talking points early in the 2008 campaign, the whole more jobs lost than created for the first time since Hoover, but I seem to recall him no longer using it by October/November because Bush barely passed the mark, or was on pace to do so.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »

Total nonfarm employment, seasonally adjusted, in thousands

January 2001: 132469
January 2005: 132453
January 2009: 133563
August 2011: 131132
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2011, 12:16:55 AM »

Yep, definitely the best speech he's given in a long time, both in delivery and tactic.

Actually, I thought it was his worst speeches.
 The last five minutes were good, but is substance, more of the same.  A few things might get passed, but it is DOA.

Obama has lost the magic.

Of course you do.

The man could get us all on renewable energy, get unemployment back to 3%, and solve the Israeli/Palestine conflict and you'd find something to be disappointed in or ticked off at.

I thought the speech was pretty good. One of his best in a while, and this is really the type of thing he should have been doing on September 8th, 2009.

You seem to forget that that I credited Obama with giving the best speech (in 2008) since the "I Have a Dream" speech.  His delivery was okay (B+), but he's off his game.

LOL

What you may or may not have said of him in 2008 has no bearing on what you have continuously spouted on this board in more recent times.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2011, 05:52:51 AM »

Yep, definitely the best speech he's given in a long time, both in delivery and tactic.

Actually, I thought it was his worst speeches.
 The last five minutes were good, but is substance, more of the same.  A few things might get passed, but it is DOA.

Obama has lost the magic.

Of course you do.

The man could get us all on renewable energy, get unemployment back to 3%, and solve the Israeli/Palestine conflict and you'd find something to be disappointed in or ticked off at.

I thought the speech was pretty good. One of his best in a while, and this is really the type of thing he should have been doing on September 8th, 2009.

You seem to forget that that I credited Obama with giving the best speech (in 2008) since the "I Have a Dream" speech.  His delivery was okay (B+), but he's off his game.

LOL

What you may or may not have said of him in 2008 has no bearing on what you have continuously spouted on this board in more recent times.

No, I think Obama is capable of delivering phenomenally good speeches.  This wasn't one of them.  "Pass this bill," isn't the best tag line.  It's no "I have a dream."  Roll Eyes  Even "This bill will create jobs, pass it" would have worked better. 

The last five minutes, Obama was back on his game, but the rest of it was a run of the mill speech.  In terms of substance, one of his worst speeches. 

As for the impact, it wasn't the cause of the Dow loss yesterday, but it didn't boost the markets either.  We'll see what, if any impact there was on the public opinion polls.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies