Would you vote for a gay or atheist president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:08:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you vote for a gay or atheist president?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Poll
Question: Would you vote for someone who is gay to hold our highest post? Atheist?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: Would you vote for a gay or atheist president?  (Read 39032 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2005, 11:28:02 PM »

You're right, but there's also nothing patriotic about religion, no matter how you twist it.

Actually there is.  Our country was founded by religious people not atheists.

It wasn't founded because of religion. They just happened to be religous.

Actually they were escaping religious persecution because of their religion.  Proud to be my religion...proud to be an American.

no. There was many reasons for the American Revolution, but religious persecution was not one of them.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2005, 11:38:56 PM »

He's not talking about the American Revolution.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2005, 11:39:17 PM »

well that's how our country was founded.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2005, 11:43:32 PM »

The country begins with the colonies, unless you consider the country to be the Union, but that's not what he means.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2005, 11:44:20 PM »

Some colonies were founded because of religious reasons, but that's doesn't really mean anything. Australia was founded as a prison.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2005, 11:46:18 PM »

It's part of history. How important it is isn't of any significance to me, but I'm just defending his post.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2005, 11:49:22 PM »

it's a part of history, but it has no relevance to the law of the country: The Constitution. And it says nowhere in the Constitution that this is a religious or a Christian nation.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2005, 11:53:11 PM »

I didn't see the context in which you were arguing. I just responded to that one statement of yours.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2005, 11:20:32 AM »

Yeah, are you kidding? Of course gays do that often enough for it to prevent them from holding office!

And atheists would ban religion, just like Christian presidents ban Judaism and JFK banned everything but Catholicism, right?

Bushforever is a really rational guy, folks - kind of like Bush himself.

Atheists are trying to ban religion already.  Take a law class.  No student-led prayers at football games.  An attempt to remove it from the pledge.  Attempts to disallow prayers at public places.  No prayers or pastors at graduation ceremonies.  No nativity scenes.  The whole politically correct aura of "Happy Holidays."

You are steryotyping all athiests. Most athiests just want to live their lives away from religion, but they respect the right of others to pray and sing Christmas carols. At public school, there should be no public prayers. Don't favor certain religions. It's common sense, IMHO.

Yes, but student-led prayers at football games where most everyone agrees and prays.  And what about my right to pray individually or quote the bible at school.  Or not teaching evolution.  If you get an atheist president, you will get all these complaining atheist special interests groups trying to have the president inflict their views on the country.

I don't have a problem with you sitting at your desk praying. Just it shouldn't be lead by anyone. If you and some friends want to pray in a corner during lunch, be my guest. If we have a Christian President, wouldn't we have Christian special interest groups trying to inflict their views?

What is so bad about science?

Not all science is true.

And if I want to preach to the crowd and lead a prayer, I should be able to.  And it does not matter about religious special interest groups trying to inflict their views, because religion is a part of our country not atheism.  I have no problem with Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus...whatever.  If any of those people want to lead prayers, go right ahead.  I don't have to follow, and neither do they if it's a Christian prayer.  It's important to be acceptful and tolerant and try to relate to the words of spirit they have to offer.  It's just atheists I have issues with.

Not all science is true, but learning commonly accepted scientific theory cannot harm you in any way.

Lead your prayer in church, or somewhere that isn't school ground.

You say it's important to be acceptful and tolerant, yet you hate gays and atheists?

It also doesn't hurt to believe in God.

This is America.  I can lead prayer wherever I want. 

It's important to be acceptful and tolerant of OTHER RELIGIONS.

Except belief systems you don't like, right?

Except lack of religion or religious principles.

Which leads me back to my point. Religion and Policy shouldn't mix because they don't mix. Whether I pray or not has NO effect on whether I support a certain environmental policy.

But my point is having a president who has a personal relationship with God makes the country stronger because the president is spiritually whole.  Kind of like Bush.  He also knows it is more important to act with his heart, not people's taxes. 

I know I for one would not be in any way weaker with an athiest President than my community currently is with Bush.

Your heart can't think. Act with your brain.

You're spirtuality should be what guides your brain.  I sure wouldn't want a president who acts strictly on brain impulses.

There is always the hypothesis that faith may be (MAY BE) based off brain impulses.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2005, 11:05:10 AM »

Gay: People's sexuality shouldn't be an issue in deciding who to vote for.
Atheist: What exactly do you mean by "atheist"?
bushforever
bushwillwin

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2005, 11:47:07 PM »

Here's news for ya.  I'm not a religious righty wacko.  To tell you the truth, I haven't gone to church regularly in probably 5 years.  However, I do have a personal relationship with God.  I know He exists.  I know he is the Creator.  I believe in Afterlife.  I pray to him.  I seek his guidance in times of trouble.  I also believe in spreading the word of God and seeking his guidance in times of trouble.

Personally, I just do not want an atheist in office, that's all.  Not to say they're bad people, but I just won't vote for an atheist.  Just like I won't vote for a democrat, unless the political spectrum singnificantly changes.  But it doesn't mean all democrats are bad people.

I really believe it is important to have someone in office who seeks the guidance of a higher authority (esp. God, or even Allah, Buddha, etc.) in making important decisions for a country and such.  Someone who I can relate to, someone I can identify with.  Someone who's well-being is stronger, because of their sense of spirituality, which in turn makes the country stronger.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2005, 11:52:56 PM »

Here's news for ya.  I'm not a religious righty wacko.  To tell you the truth, I haven't gone to church regularly in probably 5 years.  However, I do have a personal relationship with God.  I know He exists.  I know he is the Creator.  I believe in Afterlife.  I pray to him.  I seek his guidance in times of trouble.  I also believe in spreading the word of God and seeking his guidance in times of trouble.

Personally, I just do not want an atheist in office, that's all.  Not to say they're bad people, but I just won't vote for an atheist.  Just like I won't vote for a democrat, unless the political spectrum singnificantly changes.  But it doesn't mean all democrats are bad people.

I really believe it is important to have someone in office who seeks the guidance of a higher authority (esp. God, or even Allah, Buddha, etc.) in making important decisions for a country and such.  Someone who I can relate to, someone I can identify with.  Someone who's well-being is stronger, because of their sense of spirituality, which in turn makes the country stronger.

I think that was a very reasonable defense of your POV, I agree mostly with your last paragraph.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2005, 12:15:38 AM »

J-Mann, I agree with you.  I think it's wrong for people to say that homosexuality is a choice.  The choice is whether to act on it, or reveal it.

Having said that, I can't really say that I think homosexuality is as desirable as heterosexuality.  I know it's politically incorrect to say that, but I think that most people, even those who are publicly tolerant of homosexuality, believe that deep down.  Of all the non-gay people who are sympathetic to the gay agenda, how many would actually want one of their kids to be gay?  They may accept it if it happened, but the vast majority would prefer otherwise.  Almost nobody would choose it.

Ah, I meant to respond to something you had posted earlier, but this is even better.  Short response - I agree.

I personally can't see homosexuality being desirable; I'm straight, and despite my repeated fumbles in the dating/relationship arena, I'm planning on staying straight.  It wasn't a choice for me, it's just always been that way.  And no, I don't think I'd want a homosexual lifestyle for anyone, nor do I think that's politically incorrect to say.  If someday I have a gay child, I don't care so much about what he or she does in the bedroom, but it bothers me how he'll be treated by society. 
Cashcow

« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2005, 12:20:52 AM »

I personally can't see homosexuality being desirable; I'm straight, and despite my repeated fumbles in the dating/relationship arena, I'm planning on staying straight.  It wasn't a choice for me, it's just always been that way.  And no, I don't think I'd want a homosexual lifestyle for anyone, nor do I think that's politically incorrect to say.  If someday I have a gay child, I don't care so much about what he or she does in the bedroom, but it bothers me how he'll be treated by society. 

And that's exactly it. Why would anyone wake up in the morning and say to themselves, "Today I think I want to go against my natural impulses, ruin my chance for a normal life, and be treated like a dog by society"? Let's think about it, people: would you be able to wake up tomorrow and decide to be gay? It's impossible, because all natural heterosexuals would find such an idea to be personally disgusting.

Homosexuality has never been and never will be a choice.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2005, 01:22:50 AM »

I will probably never vote for a homosexual for president.  I guess because I am a traditionalist and would want a first lady.  And because their policies might allow gay marriage, something which goes against tradition and the laws of God.  Most gays generally are part of the "peace man" crowd and the San Francisco crowd, which I hate with a vengeance.

I guess I just know what I like in a president, and a homesexual one is something I don't think I'm ready for and I don't think the country's ready for.
danwxman

« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2005, 01:36:32 AM »

Most gays generally are part of the "peace man" crowd and the San Francisco crowd, which I hate with a vengeance.

lol...I can't wait until you get out in the real world.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2005, 01:41:02 AM »

Most gays generally are part of the "peace man" crowd and the San Francisco crowd, which I hate with a vengeance.

What?   Shall I add college campuses, and Seattle, Chicago's Lincoln Park, NYC, Boston, and the Florida Keys to the list??  And old perverts and catholic priests??  Non-closet gays are a small minority my friend.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2005, 02:19:13 AM »

What?   Shall I add college campuses, and Seattle, Chicago's Lincoln Park, NYC, Boston, and the Florida Keys to the list??  And old perverts and catholic priests??  Non-closet gays are a small minority my friend.

Bush,

Read your own signature quote. Thats all you need to know about Danwxman.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2005, 02:43:13 AM »

Bush,

Read your own signature quote. Thats all you need to know about Danwxman.

BUH-BUH-BUH-BULLSEYE

</dodgeball>
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2005, 12:40:23 PM »

bump for the hell of it
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2005, 01:37:58 PM »

Would you vote for someone who is gay?
Would you vote for someone who is atheist?

what an odd pairing.  how about a gay atheist.  actually, I prefer asexuals for president.  Like priests, they'd be less likely to forego their primary responsibilities if other primary responsibilities didn't get in the way.  But then, I've only met one asexual in my life, and he was a history teacher.  Well, no two.  The other is a mathematics professor.  Still, the overwhelming majority of folks I've met are either homosexual or heterosexual, so the odds of a true asexual being nominated by any party are probably slim.

as for atheists, I see them pretty much the same way I see mono- and polytheists.  I wouldn't vote for or against anyone based on their admitted atheism or theism.  Though, admittedly it's a bit creepy, since atheism requires as much faith in the abstract as abject monotheism does, and probably much more, truth be told, and such faithful people are subject to bouts of fascism and fanaticism at times.  Still, I don't have a problem with mono-, poly-, or atheists, but it would be refreshing to see someone with the intellectual curiosity and balls to admit to agnosticism run for any party's nomination. 

mainly, they just need to be entertaining, like Clinton and Bush, to win.  You're voting on the face that fills your screen for the next four years.  I don't think Americans would lose sight of that.  They have consistently chosen the class clown over the class dud since 1980 (well, except for 1988 when our choices were dull and sleazy versus dull and upper-crust), and I don't see things like sexual orientation getting in the way.  A gay man with the personality of Bill Clinton would soundly defeat a straight man with the personality of Al Gore, hands down, don't you think?  Same goes for eschatological proclivities. 

Give peas a chance.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2005, 04:19:14 PM »

Yes/Yes, for the reasons I pointed out in the other two threads.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2005, 06:02:38 PM »

Yes/No
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2005, 06:42:48 PM »

Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2005, 07:05:31 PM »

I don't see why either homosexuality or religion should be an issue. Policy issues are of the greatest importance.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies