Paint Picture of US *IF* Perry wins and GOP wins 60 Senate seats in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:54:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Paint Picture of US *IF* Perry wins and GOP wins 60 Senate seats in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Paint Picture of US *IF* Perry wins and GOP wins 60 Senate seats in 2012  (Read 6125 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 10:08:04 PM »

Given Perry is good friends with the drug companies (remember his attempted gardasil mandate), watch him push for something like that. However, I know at least one Republican Senator would oppose it so he would need even more or else a Democrat to jump on board.

I take it this is if he has 60 Senators for the entire two year (no way he keeps 60 through midterms) period (compared to Obama only have 60 for part of the two years. While the Democrats screw up tends to be domestic (Obamacare) I'd be more concerned that a Republican with that situation would start another war. Domestically, Perry couldn't do anything worse than Obama would have done if he had 60 Senators for the whole two years.

Don't worry, he'll find a way.

Would you vote for Obama over Perry if forced to choose?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:18 PM »

Would you vote for Obama over Perry if forced to choose?

Well, if I had a gun to my head I might. I'm sort of done with the "lesser of two evils" thing.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »

The GOP dies for about 20 years, starting in 2014. The GOP splinters in 2016, a progressive wins in 2016 in a 50-state landslide, and by 2020 the Senate is over 90% Democratic. The Republican Party becomes a fringe party of the far right, replaced by the Conservative Party led by Jon Huntsman. Naso of course blames all this on hip-hop culture.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2011, 10:43:02 AM »

Avenged Sevenfold frontman M. Shadows gets criticized for wearing a t-shirt that says "PERRY KILLS F**S DEAD".

I apologize if nobody gets the joke.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »

I think it is a misapprehension of where we are now to expect really drastic changes from a more openly fascist regime.  The Bad Place is already thoroughly right-wing - as one can see by the lack of any policy changes under Obama.

Yes, the tiny little health care program will be repealed under a Republican administration, but this won't make any significant difference in most people's lives - poors will die off in greater numbers, but will be easily replaced through breeding or further overseaseing of toils.  This is a very insignificant factor simply because the program itself was already too small to make much difference. 

The loss of superpower status and lack of any significant economic growth (economic growth under a right-wing regime will normally be no higher than population growth, often lower) is a given whichever right-wing party is in power over the next generation, simply because the restraint upon government represented by extremely low tax rates cannot be eliminated - neither party is allowed to raise taxes upon the rich.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »

what would the GOP do in their first two years of Perry administration with 60 GOP Senators?

I'd guess:
1) the non-military workforce of the Federal government gets a 25% headcount reduction
2) a new wave of deregulation
3) the end of Obamacare (either through outright repeal or SCOTUS defeat)
4) replacement of SCOTUS Justice Kennedy with a true conservative (and maybe even Scalia and Thomas)
5) drill baby drill

what else?

Is Kennedy going to get impeached?  While he's 75, he's apparently in good health and enjoys his job.  I'd be surprised if he leaves the bench before 2016, no matter who the President is.  The same goes for Scalia (75) and Thomas (63).  Ginsberg is the most likely justice to leave the court next, with Breyer second most likely.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »

1) Massive expansion is the size of the federal government
2) See 1.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »

I think the best we'll be able to hope for in that situation is that Cthulhu will awaken and devour us all.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »

1) Repeal most of Obamacare
2) Some more tax cuts, followed by another credit downgrade
3) Withdrawal from Libya, Syria, Yemen, or wherever the US is engaged as part of a UN-NATO coalition, causing those operations to fail and a rupture within NATO
4) Draw-down in forces from Afghanistan and an overall reduction in military spending
5) Economy double-dips, if it hasn't already, due to factors out of their control
6) Possibly another conservative justice on the supreme court
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies