2012 NDP leadership convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:01:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 NDP leadership convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 61
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 145068 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »

Union quotas: Topp v. Mulcair. Those are staying, though perhaps reduced. Even Blair couldn't junk them.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ndp-solidarity-cracks-over-role-of-unions-in-picking-leader/article2153405/

As expected, Chow won't run.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/olivia-chow-wont-seek-late-husband-jack-laytons-job-of-ndp-leader/article2153517/

What role should labour play?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2011, 03:26:25 AM »

Wanting to vote for a particular candidate for party leader is, perhaps, not the greatest reason to join a political party.

That's the main reason anyone joins parties in Canada (that and nomination contests)

It's interesting how different our two political cultures are. Over here, signing up members for this purpose would be called branch stacking and is heavily frowned-upon (and often criticised in the media and by people whose opponents have signed up many new members).
Your system also makes it illegal for anyone to lead a party if he does not have a seat. That person must instead be the head of the "election team"
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2011, 03:28:10 AM »

Smid, if I remember well, here, in some parties, to be a candidate to the investiture in a riding, you must sell a fixed number of memberships.
Wow.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2011, 03:45:01 AM »

We should really look at moving to an open primary system using party registration. Wont happen though, as our way means $$$ for members.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2011, 04:02:31 AM »

We should really look at moving to an open primary system using party registration. Wont happen though, as our way means $$$ for members.

That wouldn't be possible; the Canadian party system just doesn't work like that.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2011, 08:23:43 AM »

One member, one vote period. If they have the convention in January, then I would support weighing votes by province or something.

As a political geographer, my hope is that they release the votes by province- at least - so that I can make maps.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2011, 08:28:27 AM »

Any chance of them being released by riding?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2011, 08:44:26 AM »

I think 2003 Tory results were released by riding, so maybe they'll do likewise.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »

I think 2003 Tory results were released by riding, so maybe they'll do likewise.

They are released by riding because that's how the votes are counted.

The NDP never releases votes for nomination contests, and I would say are very unlikely to have even provincial results. They will probably released the Labour (Affiliated) vote however, if there is one (as they did for 2003).
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »

Any chance of a re-launch of the Quebec NDP?  I mean, considering that it will probably be like a heartland for them from now on, (unless they suddenly see a collapse in Quebecois support) federally, it makes little sense not to have a provincial NDP in Quebec. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

Any chance of a re-launch of the Quebec NDP?  I mean, considering that it will probably be like a heartland for them from now on, (unless they suddenly see a collapse in Quebecois support) federally, it makes little sense not to have a provincial NDP in Quebec. 

We already have two social democratic parties in Quebec: PQ and QS. Even federalist social democrats vote PQ.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »

We already have two social democratic parties in Quebec: PQ and QS. Even federalist social democrats vote PQ.

I know none federalist social democrat supporting PQ. They support QS or are big supporters of Legault thing.

And anyways, Marois' PQ isn't social democrat. It has no other ideology than chasing votes, now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »

I know none federalist social democrat supporting PQ. They support QS or are big supporters of Legault thing.

And anyways, Marois' PQ isn't social democrat. It has no other ideology than chasing votes, now.

We'll have to agree to disagree, but I still don't see any Quebec NDP. We haven't had any provincial branches of federal parties since the PLQ became independent in 1964.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »

We'll have to agree to disagree, but I still don't see any Quebec NDP. We haven't had any provincial branches of federal parties since the PLQ became independent in 1964.

I neither see a Quebec NDP. But I have to correct you, NDP had a provincial branch in Quebec in the 80's, I think.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »

Well, that's too bad.  At least it's nice to see that some potential Quebecois alternatives to Mulcair are emerging.  But are there any potential candidates who are from the more moderate wing of the party, but would still firmly oppose a merger with the Liberals?  If I were Canadian (and an NDP member, since that's where I'd fit ideologically), I'd probably support them.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »

Well, that's too bad.  At least it's nice to see that some potential Quebecois alternatives to Mulcair are emerging.  But are there any potential candidates who are from the more moderate wing of the party, but would still firmly oppose a merger with the Liberals?  If I were Canadian (and an NDP member, since that's where I'd fit ideologically), I'd probably support them.

Mulcair?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »

Speaking of the Hon. gentleman from Outremont, more on how Layton's inner circle hates his guts.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/09/05/don-macpherson-ndp-leadership-drama-is-worthy-of-shakespeare/
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »

Well, perhaps the problem is Mulcair.

But perhaps the problem is Layton's inner circle? Who are they, first of all?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »

Eh, people at the top of political parties never get on. There are always factions of some sort or other; it isn't even necessarily a bad thing.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »

Total BS.  The media is trying to make stuff up.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »

I neither see a Quebec NDP. But I have to correct you, NDP had a provincial branch in Quebec in the 80's, I think.
There was also a provincial PC Party that captured a whole 1% of the vote in that election between the end of the UN and the beginning of the ADQ.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:50 PM »

All this melodrama around the leadership, who likes who, who does not, who is nice, who is a grouch, who was close to who, and all the while, no talk about real policy at all.

It's almost... American.

Still. Topp has not convinced me he is a Quebecois. Sanganash might have "the stuff" to beat Mulcair if he can get off the ground; he's not a Quebecois, but he is a Quebecker, and if any party is going to elect Canada's first Native leader, it would be the NDP.

Julian might be able to sell himself as Quebecois as long as he can have a lot of French people introduce him and say his name without the N like how they always use to call Paul Martin, Paul Martai
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »

Catherine Clark interviews Thomas Mulcair (2009): http://www.cpac.ca/forms/index.asp?dsp=template&act=view3&pagetype=vod&hl=e&clipID=2690

Mulcair seems charismatic, sensible and moderate. Not brash, tempered or angry like others suggest. I think this is the Mulcair we are most likely to see run for leader, and hopefully become the next PM of Canada Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2011, 12:11:56 AM »

Sanganash might have "the stuff" to beat Mulcair if he can get off the ground; he's not a Quebecois, but he is a Quebecker, and if any party is going to elect Canada's first Native leader, it would be the NDP.

Saganash is more than a Québécois than Mulcair. Saganash was an outspoken supporter of Quebec Independance before.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »

Your opinion does not count since you live in Quebec Tongue It's all about what the middle-class-uneducated-white-anglo-ontarian-western-canadian-NDP-members think
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies