Puerto Rico (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:11:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Puerto Rico (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico  (Read 14708 times)
CTguy

« on: March 24, 2004, 11:14:39 PM »

This would benefit democrats, clearly.
CTguy

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 02:47:27 AM »

The democrats would clean sweep... even though Bush is making inroads with Mexicans (while losing Cubans)... Puerto Ricans remain the most loyal hispanic constituent to the democratic party...  Gore won over 80% of the Puerto Rican vote in the NY metro area.

I'm too tired to give a real response to this but I will tomorrow.

And yes they should pay their ing taxes.
CTguy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 02:47:46 PM »

BS.  I believe PR has a democratic "governor."  It will go dem because it is poor and the people are extremely liberal on issues like abortion and gun control.  
CTguy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 02:53:41 PM »

We should re-open the Puerto Rico statehood debate that was so big in the 90's.  The economy is even worse in PR now...  it is high time it became a state and they paid their fair share of taxes and got voting rights in Congress.
CTguy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 10:37:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Abortion? Puerto Rico is definately liberal on a lot of issues, but I doubt that's one of them.

If it's not liberal on abortion, how come women used to flock to Puerto Rico to get abortions done?
CTguy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 10:50:28 PM »

BS.  I believe PR has a democratic "governor."  It will go dem because it is poor and the people are extremely liberal on issues like abortion and gun control.  

No, it doesn't have a Democratic governor because there aren't Democrats and Republicans there. And the people there are not extremely liberal on issues like gun control and abortion. Have you ever been there? I practically lived there for a time when my uncle was stationed on the island. They are about as socially liberal as Idaho.

Really, that's funny, why is she a member of the National Democratic Party then?  

http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/2002/vol6n22/Poll0622-en.shtml

Yes I have been to Puerto Rico, twice...  If they aren't liberal on social issues, why is the major opposition party to the democrats in Puerto Rico the Progressive Party?

excerpt: "Calderon is pro-choice, as was her predecessor. While local anti-abortion groups and religious conservatives, Roman Catholics and Pentecostals, are vocal, Puerto Rico does not have a significant anti-abortion movement."

http://cndyorks.gn.apc.org/caab/articles/vieques29.htm
CTguy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 11:03:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Abortion? Puerto Rico is definately liberal on a lot of issues, but I doubt that's one of them.

If it's not liberal on abortion, how come women used to flock to Puerto Rico to get abortions done?

A lot of people get abortions because they don't know enough about it. Though abortion is very legal and very high in Puerto Rico, only a certain percentage of women have abortions. Contraceptives arn't used as much in Puerto Rico, so abortions are used for birth control. In a study done by TGI Puerto Rico, 57% of Puerto Ricans somewhat or completely agree with the statement that "I am more pro-life than pro-choice". Only 7% somewhat or completely disagreed. So obviously Puerto Rico is not that liberal on the issue.

Did you read the info from the link above...  I think this is rubbish...  if Puerto Ricans were so pro-life you'd have at least one party running on that platform...  There is zero pro-life movement in Puerto Rico other than some churches saying it's wrong to get an abortion... so what, some churches say it's wrong to masturbate...  If you took a poll, 99% of people would say it's wrong to cheat on your wife, yet 50% of people do.

And the point I was trying to make was that people went down to Puerto Rico to get abortions because it was done there when it was taboo up here.
CTguy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 11:10:19 PM »

Source-Women's News... lol... what a farse.

I never said that the Puerto Ricans were ardent pro-lifers, but you seem to be implying they are ardent pro-choicers, which is simply not the case.

No, I was implying they are more pro-choice than America as a whole, which is definitely the case.  They are not as pro-choice as Europeans but their politics is to the left of the United States on this issue.
CTguy

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 11:16:09 PM »

29% does not equal "most of the population". As I've already shown from several GALLUP polls, 70% of Americans are pro-life in 95% of the cases it's done.

Ahah!  If that's the case then write your congressman today (The Republicans do control Congress you know) and ask them to support a bill illegalizing 95% of abortions...  lets see how far that gets.
CTguy

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 11:16:42 PM »

Hell 70% is even more than people who are against gay marriage...  maybe they can even come up with a constitutional amendment for abortions!
CTguy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 12:08:13 AM »

I don't think you realize how long it takes to do that. It took Roe several years before the law was passed (and by the way, the "Roe" in Roe vs. Wade is now pro-life and Catholic). Further, not all of the seante is pro-life. About 85% of the republicans and 4% of the democrats vote pro-life. In the house it's more, with 81% of republicans and 21% of democrats voting pro-life.

How convenient of her...  she got her abortion and now she's pro-life...  she should have the decency to allow other women to make the choice she was able to make...  I don't respect scumbag hypocrites like her.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies